News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Internet Speeds?

Started by 11clock, February 25, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiegruen

Meh

~~~~~~~~~~~~Kie~~~~~~~~~~~~
AKA That One Bro

11clock

Guys, the main thing to look for is download speed and ping. Upload speed isn't that important.

T-Rok

Quote from: 11clock on February 25, 2011, 11:27:08 PM
Guys, the main thing to look for is download speed and ping. Upload speed isn't that important.

Unless your a server. xD

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on February 26, 2011, 01:09:14 AM
Quote from: 11clock on February 25, 2011, 11:27:08 PM

Unless your a server. xD
Or running any other application that needs upload speed. I'd hardly call it unimportant, depends entirely what your doing. Either way, it certainly is useful to have. Even things like playing an online game are going to be effected by both your download and your upload speed (granted that many games will be effected a good amount more heavily by download, upload still matters). Upload speed is ultimately going to have pretty much just as much of an effect on your ping as download is as well.

Celson

Paying $120 a month for this internet connection. Damn expensive Australian internet!

tehrozzy

Quote from: Celson on February 26, 2011, 01:31:52 AM

Paying $120 a month for this internet connection. Damn expensive Australian internet!
Celson, I too have australian internet. not only does it seem to be kicking your connections butt at speed, but its only $50.

Meiun

Quote from: Meiun on February 25, 2011, 09:37:12 PM

I win =) Had to edit out the ISP for my image though, way too revealing of my top secret location.
Edited my original post with my latest results. Looks like the first server I was using to test wasn't really able to test my upload to it's full potential. Win.

Now if only I could use this connection for the donor server =(

igufed

Quote from: Meiun on February 26, 2011, 02:05:51 AM

College connection, I'm assuming?
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

T-Rok

I win =) Had to edit out the ISP for my image though, way too revealing of my top secret location.
Edited my original post with my latest results. Looks like the first server I was using to test wasn't really able to test my upload to it's full potential. Win.

Dang thats good. Low bandwith I take it?

Meiun

Quote from: igufed on February 26, 2011, 02:21:32 AM

Yup. Most people at my college have super shitty connections too. Pretty sure I am able to utilize almost 300 times what the average student at my school is allocated, thanks to how incompetent the school's IT department is ;)

Quote from: T-Rok on February 26, 2011, 02:42:06 AM

Huh?Low bandwidth what?

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on February 26, 2011, 02:47:50 AM

Yup. Most people at my college have super shitty connections too. Pretty sure I am able to utilize almost 300 times what the average student at my school is allocated, thanks to how incompetent the school's IT department is ;)

Huh?Low bandwidth what?

It was asked before I knew it was the schools connection. Low bandwith was my explanation for inability to host before you confirmed it was the schools connection.

ARTgames

Yeah Meiun is right. Having a good about of upload is good. Some common uses are hosting a video game (not just on a pc but also on console), uploading images/ videos/ files to the internet. If you have a lot of people using your internet at home its possible that they can kill your upload before effecting your download making it feel like your internet is slowing down especially for real time applications like video games.

Also remember this is a speed test. Does not really tell much about reliability, over all latency, uptime, speed to price, if your isp is traffic shaping, bandwidth caps, etc. Only really tells your max bandwidth.

And yes the bigger the number the "better". If you take that number and divide it by 8 it will give you approximatively how much your download would be in bytes than bits. In other words when you download/upload things off the internet the speed counter is most likely in bytes than bits.

So if you download 40 Megabits/s thats about 5 MegaBytes/s. Not too bad for a home user considering my real download speed is 2.6 Mb/s. Lower case b meaning bits and uppercase meaning bytes.

Also you people in Australia have it bad. You pay a lot for slow bandwidth thats caped and is or might be filted. :(

Celson

Speaking of internet speed. I need help understanding it all a bit better.

Basically I can get up to a download speed of 850 kbs. I'll have utorrent on and might be downloading a file at about 10 kbs (due to lack of seeders). Now what confuses me is the fact that downloading at 10 kbs completely !@#$s over my ping on stick online. I'll go from having 320 ping to 1000 ping just from dling at 10 kbs. Can anyone explain to me why that happens?

ARTgames

This is why upload matters not just download.

Yeah you most likely don't have a cap set on you upload on your torrent program. So your seeding some one and its taking up almost all your upload. This slows down the data stick online can send back to the server skyrocketing your ping.

Find out how to limit your upload on your torrent program and you should be fine. On utorrent/bitorrent you can right click and goto properties and set a max upload. You can also set it in the program settings so you dont have to set it for every torrent you have.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on February 26, 2011, 05:11:24 AM
Quote from: Meiun on February 26, 2011, 02:47:50 AM

Huh?Low bandwidth what?

It was asked before I knew it was the schools connection. Low bandwith was my explanation for inability to host before you confirmed it was the schools connection.
I think you are a bit confused as to what the term bandwidth means.