News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Internet Speeds?

Started by 11clock, February 25, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankyal

Quote from: Meiun on February 26, 2011, 11:18:57 AM
I think you are a bit confused as to what the term bandwidth means.
he was asking if you had a low bandwidth cap, which is the reason you wouldn't be able to host a server as you'd hit that cap pretty fast
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Meiun

Quote from: Yankyal on February 26, 2011, 02:42:13 PM
Quote from: Meiun on February 26, 2011, 11:18:57 AM
I think you are a bit confused as to what the term bandwidth means.
he was asking if you had a low bandwidth cap, which is the reason you wouldn't be able to host a server as you'd hit that cap pretty fast
Ah, right. That makes sense. I thought he was asking if the actual bandwidth itself was low which it obviously isn't based on the speed test. Most the ISP's around here don't really do a lot of monthly restrictions on throughput or any of that stuff, so that type of stuff isn't something i often consider.

Matty_Richo

DarkTrinity

ARTgames

Higher bandwidth is good but higher ping in bad.

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on February 27, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
So higher ping is worse?

Higher ping is worse.  The lower the ping, the faster the computer is able to connect to a remote computer, and receive the packets, thus the faster the connection.  Which is why you want to test off the closest data center possible to get the fastest results.

Chaos

Ping is the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes for a packet to send and return.  As you can imagine, you want it to take almost no time, aka, you want ping to be low.

Download and Upload, on the other hand, is saying how many megabytes you transfer every second.  Obviously, you want to be able to send more data in a short period of time, so you want these numbers to be large.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Forum

Officially quitted

bubba

DSL 512Kb/256Kb aka 64kb/s and upload 32kb/s
Ping is 40ms if i ping detroit

use to jack someone's internet when i lived in town. was almost 1mb/s.

DarkTrinity

Every server I tried around us says 100+ ping. lol.

T-Rok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on February 28, 2011, 09:43:58 AM
Every server I tried around us says 100+ ping. lol.

Way to have fail internet. :P Perhaps someone is downloading? As long as its not 130+ you should be good for most online games. Once it hits 140, side effects are visible and once it hits about 170 most games become almost unplayable. This is all in my opinion of course.

Scotty

In the event of slow internet speeds, having certain sisters who watch Netflix on their computer non-stop, it may be somewhat advantageous to tweak the QoS settings on your router, where you can set limits to all the connected computers on how much bandwidth they can consume, as to not kill the experience for everyone else.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Scotty on February 28, 2011, 01:39:34 PM
In the event of slow internet speeds, having certain sisters who watch Netflix on their computer non-stop, it may be somewhat advantageous to tweak the QoS settings on your router, where you can set limits to all the connected computers on how much bandwidth they can consume, as to not kill the experience for everyone else.
LOL. Yes, that has become an annoyance... But I haven't the slightest idea how to do that and I don't trust myself to bother tampering with it.

T-Rok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on March 01, 2011, 12:56:39 PM
Quote from: Scotty on February 28, 2011, 01:39:34 PM
LOL. Yes, that has become an annoyance... But I haven't the slightest idea how to do that and I don't trust myself to bother tampering with it.

Get scotty to remote connect. xD