News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Internet Speeds?

Started by 11clock, February 25, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

It's not exactly something one would want to do out of the blue one day unbeknown to the rest.  I've actually gotten on Chaos about it in the past and he just sorts of chuckles and shrugs it off.  I've never had to do it luckily, as I've never owned a router capable of setting the QoS AND have internet speeds bad enough to warrant it.  Chances are, if it is something that you decide to go do, you'd be best off getting the manual for your router (likely found online somewhere if you don't have it in hard-copy form), and search for QoS or "Quality of Service", and it should tell you how to set it up if your router supports it.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on February 28, 2011, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on February 28, 2011, 09:43:58 AM
Every server I tried around us says 100+ ping. lol.

Way to have fail internet. :P Perhaps someone is downloading? As long as its not 130+ you should be good for most online games. Once it hits 140, side effects are visible and once it hits about 170 most games become almost unplayable. This is all in my opinion of course.
Really can depend heavily on what type of game your playing for how big of an impact ping has. First person shooters for instance (which I assume is what your refering to most) typically rely a bit more on having a very low ping (even with this, it can vary a bit based on the game). Where as your typical auto-attack based MMO it really barely even matters if your ping is multiple hundred since there is essentially so little actual timing dependant "action" going on. In cases like these it can often matter more that your ping is consistant rather than low for how smooth the game seems to be. But even then, I personally am not quite as picky with my standards as some people. But like you said, can vary.

DarkTrinity

85 ping while my sister's at work...
Coincidence? I think not.

Could it also be because the closest server I'm testing from isn't in the same state..? :x

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on March 01, 2011, 06:23:37 PM
85 ping while my sister's at work...
Coincidence? I think not.

Could it also be because the closest server I'm testing from isn't in the same state..? :x

I hear data centers are far and few between on Venus.

T-Rok

Decided to test my Universities internet. lol

RayRay

Testing mine again:

EDIT: "Faster than 81% of US!"
Download went down, upload probably didn't change, and my ping rose.
Also my new ping test:

I'll probably post/edit again with my new laptop. It is directly connected to my old one, (this one) so it might be worse.

igufed

Best I could get so far today after they had a nice little outage..

Supposed to get 60 down, the closest I've been while testing is 55. :\

Later in the night while hopefully servers aren't getting pounded..

Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

God-I-Suck

RayRay

Quote from: igufed on March 14, 2011, 03:54:46 PM
Best I could get so far today after they had a nice little outage..

Supposed to get 60 down, the closest I've been while testing is 55. :\

Later in the night while hopefully servers aren't getting pounded..

Dude, you have the same type of internet as mine, but you're twice as fast as me.

igufed

Quote from: RayRay on March 15, 2011, 08:59:33 PM
Dude, you have the same type of internet as mine, but you're twice as fast as me.

Most ISPs offer a variety of speed options.
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

RayRay

Quote from: igufed on March 15, 2011, 09:10:19 PM
Quote from: RayRay on March 15, 2011, 08:59:33 PM

Most ISPs offer a variety of speed options.
Oh, so I guess my family chose the lower one.

Mr Pwnage

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

God-I-Suck

Ceroblitz

http://www.speedtest.net/wave/4e89671f84c3ec67?o=desc&sb=download

When the hell did speedtest have achievements.

Also, best speeds are what:

1 week ago   968.22 Mb/s   703.23 Mb/s   1 ms

Almost a gigabyte per sec download speed wat.