News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

How many of you actually read the Terms of Use/Service?

Started by 11clock, March 07, 2011, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

How many of you actually read those paragraphs before signing up or activating something?

stick d00d

Lol I never do, by habit... just seems it's all a bunch of unimportant crap to me..

JninjaJ

T-Rok

I'll skim the top and bottom, and read the middle. The middle is where they hide all the important stuff due to people assuming all they need to know is at the beginning and the end.

11clock

Sometimes the Terms of Use/Service can be ridiculous. Apple's terms are over 50 pages and Xbox LIVE's terms take literally 5 minutes of scrolling to get to the bottom. I myself never bother reading them, most of the time because I don't feel like it and that a lot of the stuff is common sense.

ARTgames

I do not read that small novel they put in my installers/ sign ups. On most pieces of software I would spend more time reading it then ever using the service its self.

Snakeman

It's simple corporate shenanigans. They write !@#$ing college essays about their products and I bet you they sneak in little "read the fine print" bits right in the middle of it all, so when people whine about something, they can pull the "its on the terms you agreed to lol get out" card.

That being said I bet 0 people here have read any ToSes in their lifetime, so that's just another tactic companies pull to throw down some curveballs if the situation requires them.

Also, nah I haven't read any myself.

ARTgames

There are limitations to what they can do regardless of what they say in there some times. No one is going to consult there lawyer for installing Flash on there pc just to understand the tos. :P Yes that was a bit of an overexaggeration.

But its a lie to say I have never red any tos. I have red Stick Online's. :D

T-Rok

Quote from: Snakeman on March 07, 2011, 06:35:21 PM
It's simple corporate shenanigans. They write !@#$ing college essays about their products and I bet you they sneak in little "read the fine print" bits right in the middle of it all, so when people whine about something, they can pull the "its on the terms you agreed to lol get out" card.

That being said I bet 0 people here have read any ToSes in their lifetime, so that's just another tactic companies pull to throw down some curveballs if the situation requires them.

Also, nah I haven't read any myself.

While now I do what I said previously, I have fully read the Mcafee, Virtual Clone Drive, Playstation Network, and iTunes ToS'

DarkTrinity

It depends, if it's for something I'm not familiar with or seems sketchy, I'll read the ToS. But usually, I won't.
I've read the ToS for Lunia and DeviantArt. Mainly because people fk up so bad on DA and don't know the definition of art theft, it's a good thing to read...

EpicPhailure

I skip the forum registration ToS's. They're all pretty much the same thing, regardless of what provider.

Mystery

Am I the only one who actually takes time to read everything in the ToSs I need to agree to, just for the sake of being thorough and having less of a chance of being surprised by any 'immediate service modifications' or unexpected issues? >_>
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Forum

I always always always read the Terms of agreement. Am i the only one who takes the time to read them? I love staying on the video games and i like reading so there you have it. *sarcastic*
Officially quitted

11clock

Quote from: Mystery on March 08, 2011, 08:02:00 PM
Am I the only one who actually takes time to read everything in the ToSs I need to agree to, just for the sake of being thorough and having less of a chance of being surprised by any 'immediate service modifications' or unexpected issues? >_>

Apparently.

Scotty

For software and such, I typically won't bother, as it is quite a bit to read through, and requires comprehension of a rather extreme legal vocabulary.  There are however other agreements outside of software ToS's that I read at least two times over.  Things like leases or employment agreements, mostly because I've had threats of law suits over them.  Hell, I've even paid for legal assistance with understanding an employment agreement, mostly because $500 dollars spent on understanding what I can and cannot do is much better than $40k in court and lawyer fees had I not done the former.