News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Poll/Discussion: Spawn rate and amount of bandits

Started by Dragx_Rage, April 04, 2011, 08:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that both the spawn rate and the amount of bandits should be increased? Please read the initial post before voting.

Yes, by a lot.
31 (67.4%)
Yes, by a little.
8 (17.4%)
I don't mind.
1 (2.2%)
No, it is fine how it is.
6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Forum

Quote from: CherryPie on April 06, 2011, 09:21:18 AM
Quote from: krele on April 06, 2011, 08:48:11 AM
QuoteI am also aware of that. Oh dear, I this makes me feel you know nuthing about how to read. Chaos' idea was that the game could check how many players are in a certain area, I know that that's not the case right now, so I was pointing out what has to be done to have such a system working and how this would possibly turn out in having more packages sent through the network and therefore in having a greater server sided lag.
Lol
Officially quitted

krele

Quote from: CherryPie on April 06, 2011, 09:21:18 AM
Oh dear, this makes me feel you know nothing about how SO works :O. When a mob is spawned, all you receive is his x, y and ID. No matter how many spawn slots there are, it wouldn't make any difference when it comes to "lag".
I am aware of that, what I mean is, each monster object has to react on nearby players and it sure does make a difference, if you have 5 or 20 enemies that have to know where a player is. Of course the information is only collected once for a player and all enemies can work with that info, but each registered enemy instance, that has to react on the collected info, will create more server workload. (sorry for using the word lag there)

Every spawn area that meiun adds is one instance. Not even hundreds could harm fps, even on a low-end machine. The game also doesn't check about position of players, but global player number instead. Even if all players are at bandits, rock demons' spawn rate is increased.
I am also aware of that. Oh dear, I this makes me feel you know nuthing about how to read. Chaos' idea was that the game could check how many players are in a certain area, I know that that's not the case right now, so I was pointing out what has to be done to have such a system working and how this would possibly turn out in having more packages sent through the network and therefore in having a greater server sided lag.
This even further proves my point. You don't know a thing... Instances that are not in player's screen are deactivated, it's like they don't even exist on the client (well, they do, but memory footprint is around 12 bytes per instance in total). What you said makes no sense at all. No matter how many spawns there are, it won't make a difference.

Nope, you're wrong. Like I explained, it sends 3 bytes for every mob spawned. Server holds each player's positions saved at all times, it wouldn't increase online workload at all. Keep in mind the client doesn't even HAVE "spawn points", mobs are spawned by x and y received from the server, any additional data is not even needed. I also laughed at the bolded part, sorry =)

Freeforall

If too many monsters are spawned at once, it can lag the server. This happens at spawn parties a lot.

Dragx_Rage

Quote from: Freeforall on April 06, 2011, 06:06:01 PM
If too many monsters are spawned at once, it can lag the server. This happens at spawn parties a lot.

Although, this may be down to the increased activity of a large amount on people, like at tournaments.

CherryPie

Shht, don't tell Krele, he knows it better, because he knows the amount of memory used per enemy instance!  ::)

krele

Quote from: CherryPie on April 07, 2011, 09:07:12 AM
Shht, don't tell Krele, he knows it better, because he knows the amount of memory used per enemy instance!  ::)
Nice to know we finally agree, my friend =P

Chaos

Durr.  That's why you have a cap to how high the spawn rate/limit will increase.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Yeah I am with the choice on top. I would like more spawn.

QuoteWhat about if the spawn rates and max spawn limit was scaled based off how many people are in the area?  That way a newbie walking through an area that no one else is in at the moment doesn't get overrun by a huge amount of enemies?
Yeah from what I remember Meiun says It does do that already. What I would like added onto that system is a way of checking if the people are active. I have seen many people afk on branches and a newbie account gets over run and just ends up drowning most of them to get spawn to something they can handle. But that's not really that important.

Freeforall

Quote from: Chaos on April 07, 2011, 12:43:43 PM

Durr.  That's why you have a cap to how high the spawn rate/limit will increase.
I know, but some people can't grasp that D:

krele

Quote from: ARTgames on April 07, 2011, 04:14:58 PM
Yeah I am with the choice on top. I would like more spawn.

QuoteWhat about if the spawn rates and max spawn limit was scaled based off how many people are in the area?  That way a newbie walking through an area that no one else is in at the moment doesn't get overrun by a huge amount of enemies?
Yeah from what I remember Meiun says It does do that already. What I would like added onto that system is a way of checking if the people are active. I have seen many people afk on branches and a newbie account gets over run and just ends up drowning most of them to get spawn to something they can handle. But that's not really that important.
Again, stop suggesting stuff you know won't be added =/... The system will STAY the way it is, only the spawn limit might get increased.

Zario777

What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

krele

Quote from: Zario777 on April 08, 2011, 02:47:40 PM
Don't rain on their parade, krele
Yeah, sorry for bursting your bubbles everyone :S

ARTgames

Quote from: krele on April 08, 2011, 11:01:06 AM
Quote from: ARTgames on April 07, 2011, 04:14:58 PM
Again, stop suggesting stuff you know won't be added =/... The system will STAY the way it is, only the spawn limit might get increased.
I'm sorry. Pointless babel from me.