News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Multiple Servers?

Started by Jmac, May 01, 2011, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmac

I was wondering if it would be possible to set up multiple servers for Stick Online v3. Think about it, there used so many players on at one time, there would be no way for everyone to get threshold on every boss. For example, imagine 30 people at bandits hunting for BC/Spire. The BA would die extremely fast and the newer people wouldn't have a chance. If we had multiple servers, this problem would be eliminated. I don't know if Meiun would be willing to set one up or not, but it would be nice. You could start off with the single server, and as more people joined, and the need arises, I believe that another server should be opened. So....decent idea? Or what?

Freeforall

Meh, I don't know about that. It could get out of hand really quick. Maybe the game could be designed to work better with more people. The monsters could be a lot more HP heavy, so more players are required. Just a quick idea.

Jmac

Quote from: Freeforall on May 01, 2011, 05:30:11 PM
Meh, I don't know about that. It could get out of hand really quick. Maybe the game could be designed to work better with more people. The monsters could be a lot more HP heavy, so more players are required. Just a quick idea.
Well then what happens when no one is online. :-\ There has to be some way. I lag miserably around other people but can do just fine and maintain 30 fps for hours alone. I just feel this idea would help people who lag or wanna be antisocial for some reason. :P

scsox

Well, we can just figure it out when the game actually comes out so chill.

darkflash

I dont like the idea it wont be THAT popular im sure.. more people the merrier we can spread out -_- its guna be a big game..

Jmac

Quote from: darkflash on May 01, 2011, 08:35:40 PM
I dont like the idea it wont be THAT popular im sure.. more people the merrier we can spread out -_- its guna be a big game..
Never underestimate the popularity of something, you may get your ass kicked. ;D Nah, but I'm pretty sure about half the people that used to play will come back.

Meiun

V3 is a completely new game, built from the ground up. So it's a bit silly to just assume that everything in it is going to work the same way and have all the same needs (both in terms of technical stuff, as well as game mechanics). Regardless, I personally would typically prefer to find other way to resolve any issues that may arise from things like overpopulation and all that then just separating everyone onto different servers, as Stick Online has always been a rather social game, and since I want to really try to maintain the true "massive" aspect of a MMO as much as possible (something many games nowadays seem to stray from with how quickly they divide servers up). But if there there ever came the point where we really needed more servers, I would likely get more servers.

Infection

I am a bit late on this, but one thing to add is. If this is just a population issue (not about the amount a server can hold), might I suggest there could also be multiple instances rather than an entirely new server. Lots of games do this. And technically, all of the people are still on the same server, keeping the "Massive" part Meiun was talking about.

To elaborate, think of it like channels (in a IRC network), or rooms(in a game lobby), of the same game.
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Lingus

Quote from: Infection on May 19, 2011, 08:49:31 PM
I am a bit late on this, but one thing to add is. If this is just a population issue (not about the amount a server can hold), might I suggest there could also be multiple instances rather than an entirely new server. Lots of games do this. And technically, all of the people are still on the same server, keeping the "Massive" part Meiun was talking about.

To elaborate, think of it like channels (in a IRC network), or rooms(in a game lobby), of the same game.
That was something that was being thrown around a while back in the suggestions forums. Basically certain areas would be instanciated. If I remember correctly, there was a tower and a cave of some sort that at some point was suggested that they should be a separate instance that groups or clans could go into and not be pestered by other people. It is definitely something that would be cool to see in V3 at some point. But again, we don't know what the game world is going to be like so it's hard to say if that would be necessary or not.

Meiun

Quote from: Infection on May 19, 2011, 08:49:31 PM

Actually, doing that is one of the things I had in mind when I was talking about games straying away from the true MMO feel (was using the term server a bit more loosely, in the sense that each instance would typically be run on a different server machine), since many modern games seem to over-utilize instancing and different channels. If you over-do it then it doesn't really feel like a legitimate MMO or world to me. Doing instancing and channels can certainly be a great way to handle letting people play on the same servers while still scaling effectively with huge amounts of people, I just wouldn't want to rely on this system any more than I would need to (for both technical and crowding issues). But yes, it certainly could be better in many cases than totally separating people onto totally independent game worlds/servers.

Lingus

You would have to limit instances to only very highly desirable areas. Special dungeons and the like. The best example would have been the multi-level tower that the community spent dozens of pages discussing. If there were maybe a handful (probably even less to start out) of areas like that throughout the world, with plenty of slightly less desirable non-instanced areas, I think that would be a pretty decent balance. It would allow for the seemless affect throughout most of the game world, while still providing a small percentage of instanced areas.

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on May 23, 2011, 09:29:55 PM
You would have to limit instances to only very highly desirable areas. Special dungeons and the like. The best example would have been the multi-level tower that the community spent dozens of pages discussing. If there were maybe a handful (probably even less to start out) of areas like that throughout the world, with plenty of slightly less desirable non-instanced areas, I think that would be a pretty decent balance. It would allow for the seemless affect throughout most of the game world, while still providing a small percentage of instanced areas.
Yup, that would probably be about the ideal situation when it came to the issue of instancing.

havok

i thought i posted on this i guess not, i forgot what i was going to say by now. If i remember i will edit this post tho :P

setherouth

Quote from: Meiun on May 08, 2011, 10:01:02 PM
V3 is a completely new game, built from the ground up. So it's a bit silly to just assume that everything in it is going to work the same way and have all the same needs (both in terms of technical stuff, as well as game mechanics). Regardless, I personally would typically prefer to find other way to resolve any issues that may arise from things like overpopulation and all that then just separating everyone onto different servers, as Stick Online has always been a rather social game, and since I want to really try to maintain the true "massive" aspect of a MMO as much as possible (something many games nowadays seem to stray from with how quickly they divide servers up). But if there there ever came the point where we really needed more servers, I would likely get more servers.
I think if theres gonna be alot more people for V3 were gonna need more servers, but thats up to you of course, we all like the game with one server :D Just more servers would come in handy.

Cloud Strife

havok

Quote from: setherouth on June 11, 2011, 02:47:30 PM
Quote from: Meiun on May 08, 2011, 10:01:02 PM
I think if theres gonna be alot more people for V3 were gonna need more servers, but thats up to you of course, we all like the game with one server :D Just more servers would come in handy.

I think he all ready said if he needs  to get more servers he will.

But only time will tell that :p