News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V2 Open Source?

Started by thekolla, May 11, 2011, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should stick online v2 source be released After v3 comes out?

Yes
4 (10%)
Yes,but only to trusted people
3 (7.5%)
No
33 (82.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

thekolla

I was thinking, when stick online v3 is released, Do you guys think that the Source to v2 should be released?
In my opinion it should be, it could really be a great learning source.

foG

No. I'd cry if there were 100 copies of SO all over the internet.

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

DeamonClawz

Nah, maybe another host... but not an open source.

That's like making a revolutionary invention, and giving out the blueprints and the models to other people.

Freeforall

I don't think so. As DC said, it would be awesome for someone to host it, but don't give out the source.

thekolla

Yeah i see what you guys are saying, i just thought it would be a good source to learn from.
I guess well see what meiun does once v3 is released :p.

Meiun

Sorry, but I can pretty confidently say that this is not going to happen. Stick Online is a personal project to me that I put a lot of time and effort into over the years. It is something that I take seriously, and that I fully intend to keep going with for a long while to come. Releasing the source to an older version would seem to me like something that would somewhat discredit or devalue the future releases in a way. But more importantly, a number of people have already made it abundantly clear that they have little to no respect for copyright for the original non open source version, so I can only imagine the nightmare of plagiarism and other insulting uses that would occur if I were to actually hand out my work freely.
 Also, most of V2 was written a long time ago, when I was a far worse programmer than I am now. Not that it's all terrible or anything, but if I were going to release something to help people learn I would probably want it to be something that teaches them to the best of my ability, not something based on many year old methods that I have since learned better approaches to. Besides, if I were going to release a tutorial/example of stuff, it would likely not be using Stick Online content directly, as the last thing we need is 100 crappy direct SO clones.

thekolla

Thanks for the input meiun. I agree with you now :p

Forum

Quote from: thekolla on May 11, 2011, 07:59:46 PM
Yes i agree too. I've wanted to learn how meiun made SO but i guess i'll have to stick to trying to get into a programming class.
Officially quitted

Loganvz123

He made it with Game Maker, download it, try it out, the code is very easy to learn. xD

CherryPie

Quote from: Loganvz123 on May 25, 2011, 03:26:45 AM
He made it with Game Maker, download it, try it out, the code is very easy to learn. xD

T-Rok

Quote from: Forum on May 19, 2011, 09:53:04 PM
Yes i agree too. I've wanted to learn how meiun made SO but i guess i'll have to stick to trying to get into a programming class.
Pay Meiun $500. I don't he would disagree. Hahaha

ARTgames

I know Meiun has placed down his stance on the subject but I just wanted to say his viewpoint is not the only one when it comes to do something like this. Its his game and he can do what he wants with it. And theirs value with him keeping it and I'm fine with that. Its true that giving the source to old projects or current ones can be a double edge sword. But it may be just as beneficial as bad. Yes you will get copiers and clones but you may also get new works and some learning tools for other. If not from your good parts than from your mistakes. It depends on who you are and what you are making. If it was my passion game I don't really care about clones. Mine still exists and I still maintain it.

I care less about it being my software and more about it being good software.

But I know that's not for everyone and does not work for everything. Dont get me wrong, I do care about credit and close sources. And I will respect other people who may want that sort of thing. Commercially viable products come to mine for a places that it does not really work to have an open source. I don't mind what Meiun is doing. I just want to put out there that open source can be a good thing.

@CherryPie
Your image makes me laugh.  :D

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on May 26, 2011, 05:29:56 PM
Actually, I would probably at least at the time being turn that down as well. Money (while nice), does not appeal to me as much as creating something I'm proud of. While V2 in many ways is old and even perhaps somewhat "crappy" by my standards now, it is still an important part of Stick Online's history, and not something I'd just want to sell out on. Besides, I wouldn't want to give people a false representation of what SO was about, or what they can expect for the future by doing so. Open source can be a great thing, but often not or online/multiplayer based games, and not for this particular one.

Forum

Quote from: Meiun on May 27, 2011, 01:44:23 PM
Actually, I would probably at least at the time being turn that down as well. Money (while nice), does not appeal to me as much as creating something I'm proud of. While V2 in many ways is old and even perhaps somewhat "crappy" by my standards now, it is still an important part of Stick Online's history, and not something I'd just want to sell out on. Besides, I wouldn't want to give people a false representation of what SO was about, or what they can expect for the future by doing so. Open source can be a great thing, but often not or online/multiplayer based games, and not for this particular one.
When i become a millionare i will buyout SO  :P
Officially quitted

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on May 27, 2011, 01:44:23 PM
What if a contract of some sort was agreed upon, legally witnessed and signed stating the source would be used for learning purposes only AND you got the $500? Of course, the actions taken if the contract was ignored would be some sort of serious business.