News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Ranged wepons

Started by House, June 04, 2011, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krele

Quote from: Gho$t on August 11, 2011, 07:28:58 PM
Quote from: Forum on August 11, 2011, 06:40:43 PM
Quote from: DR4N3 on August 11, 2011, 10:31:58 AM
Guns? In my Stick Online?
Quote from: Lucifer on June 04, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: Chaos on June 04, 2011, 06:12:38 PM
Get out.
No. Meiun has pistols which are guns. There are already guns in the game. Have you not played Stick online.

My thoughts exactly, people saying that they don't fit into the game when there is at least one set in the game... I wanted to say this earlier in my prior post but forgot to mention it or saw it irrelevant at the time of posting. And everyone should remember that this is just a suggestion so don't be hating on someone for trying to throw an idea out there.
Guns don't belong in a world where people fight with swords, whips and hammers. Maybe Meiun should "go out" as well? =P

Forum

L0ld! but its meiuns game 8)
Officially quitted

Gho$t

At one point our world was a world of swords and then guns came along..... All in all it would be Meiun's decision. And I would support it whatever it may be. Things may be ok the way they are but why down something before even trying it?  It would add a little variety to the weaponry that is available for use, And you wouldn't have to get so close to certain boss monsters.... All I am saying is it has potential and how would any of us know whether it is good or bad before trying it out ourselves?

Chaos

Yeah, and then when those guns came along, all those swords and other melee weapons became obsolete in comparison.  I'm sure that would do WONDERS for the 'variety to the weaponry'.

Additionally, on the subject of Meiun's guns, those don't count because that's a GM weapon.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Gho$t

Quote from: Chaos on August 12, 2011, 02:06:29 AM
Yeah, and then when those guns came along, all those swords and other melee weapons became obsolete in comparison.  I'm sure that would do WONDERS for the 'variety to the weaponry'.

Additionally, on the subject of Meiun's guns, those don't count because that's a GM weapon.

That is why I mentioned there needing to be drawbacks to guns such as ammo or a long cool down period before taking a second shot.

Ex. For every shot he takes you get two swings with a melee weapon depending on the speed of both weapons.

Like I said, we shouldn't just say no because we think it is silly or we can't logically see it working out to well. I feel it deserves a chance and all in all it is Meiun's decision in the end, none of ours although he would probably make a choice based upon how everyone else felt.

DR4N3

Get out.
No. Meiun has pistols which are guns. There are already guns in the game. Have you not played Stick online.
And have you seen how said pistols work? Do they have a huge range advantage? Do they work with ammo? Besides, it's Meiun's game, he can have pistols if he wants, and he can add pistols if he wants, but I don't think GUNS in general have any place in a medieval game. Mods can give the excuse they came from the future, whereas, we normal players can't.

Forum

Then you should of have been said in the first place nonetheless i was pointing out there are in deed GUNs in the game.
Officially quitted

LeGuy

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm fairly sure Meiun has said he fully intends to implement ranged weapons into the game.

And I also feel inclined to agree with Ghost here. Just because a gun tends to beat a sword in real life doesn't mean they can't be balanced in a game where cacti happen to be alive and you can jump 10 feet into the air. They've done it in other games, it can be done in Stick Online.

Obviously, the big advantage with guns over melee weapons is the range. So some disadvantages simply have to be added to balance it out. Some possibilities would be:

1.) Less damage done per hit compared to melee. Easy enough - if it does less damage, the better range is only so helpful.

2.) Longer attack animations before the actual shot. If the gunner's opponent has a few more frames than generally employed in melee weapon animations to see the gunner pulling out the weapon, cocking it, etc., that gives them a larger window of response time. Essentially, it makes the move easier to dodge.

3.) Reloading. If every 3 bullets or so the player had to reload before being able to shoot again, it would be give the opponent an opportunity to attack. Ideally reloading would take a couple of seconds and make the gunner stand still during that period. Also, there should be an animation for reloading applied to the gunner so the opponent can be aware of the gunner's action.

Another thing to consider is how skills once implemented are going to affect the game. If melee-using players were able to use skills like a charge attack that would grant them 2x run speed for a few seconds, or whip out an enormous shield that would ricochet bullets back to the gunner, that certainly would help even more to balance things out.
Whee!

DR4N3

Quote from: LeGuy on August 12, 2011, 02:08:08 PM
BOWS!
Fixed.
Arrows that are suceptible (<- Is that how you pronounce that? ) to gravity, so you have to aim carefully. Damage shouldn't be nerfed TOO much, and the animation/projectile needn't be slower, that way it would just be pointless to have ranged weapons if you could always dodge or you oculd tank through because of the low ammounts of damage. Just sayin'

Zario777

If they have to be a gun, make it those old musket shooters that had to be reloaded after each shot and dont have the best accuracy. That should even out its advantages
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Lingus

Quote from: LeGuy on August 12, 2011, 02:08:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm fairly sure Meiun has said he fully intends to implement ranged weapons into the game.
I don't think he said that exactly. Oh here's his quote:

Quote from: Meiun on June 30, 2011, 08:38:32 PM
... but I do plan to have some projectile based weapons and attacks as well. Just more as sort of secondary means of attack in most cases.

Either way, I agree with the rest of your post. Ranged weapons would be great to have in the game. Not necessarily guns, but there's plenty of other options such as all types of bows and what not. Also don't forget skills. There could be fireballs and the like. Not necessarily weapons, but they are attacks of a sort.

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 12, 2011, 02:19:35 PM
...suceptible (<- Is that how you pronounce that? )
I'm not sure. How did you pronounce it? You spell it: susceptible

Lucifer

My off the bat view on projectiles is to simply make them dodgeable. My only problem with guns is that their projectiles, unless we're playing with cartoon physics, don't move at the same speed as say arrows or fireballs.

DR4N3

Quote from: Lingus on August 12, 2011, 07:31:31 PM

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 12, 2011, 02:19:35 PM
...suceptible (<- Is that how you pronounce that? )
I'm not sure. How did you pronounce it? You spell it: susceptible
Pardon my english, I have those momments of noobishness sometimes. Luckily I only missed an "s".

Gho$t

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 12, 2011, 05:16:43 AM
Get out.
And have you seen how said pistols work? Do they have a huge range advantage? Do they work with ammo? Besides, it's Meiun's game, he can have pistols if he wants, and he can add pistols if he wants, but I don't think GUNS in general have any place in a medieval game. Mods can give the excuse they came from the future, whereas, we normal players can't.

SO is not necessarily a medieval game, granted at the moment that is all it possesses trait wise. I see where all of you are coming from but I see no reason not to at least try it. And I feel like ranged combat would start with a Bow that is equivalent to a short sword in difficulty of obtaining it. It would have a medium speed rate and decent distance but nothing to absurd. Afterwards would be the crossbow which would be slower but stronger and probably be close to a katana in difficulty of obtaining it. After that, a clockwork pistol or a musket (I am speaking of industrial revolution based guns) which are like the GS or IS in difficulty of obtaining. And all would probably require ammo which you could receive as drops (from the same monsters that drop the weapon) or from the shop for a fair price. And the cool down time on these weapons would be fairly hefty so you can't just spam shoot to victory. I'm not against giving it a shot and seeing whether it would fit well or not. And if it didn't then it could always be removed. The removal of a weapon from the game is not a very difficult thing to do trust me I would know.

Lingus

Quote from: Gho$t on August 13, 2011, 11:41:54 AMI'm not against giving it a shot and seeing whether it would fit well or not. And if it didn't then it could always be removed. The removal of a weapon from the game is not a very difficult thing to do trust me I would know.
Actually, doing something like that would have the largest impact to the community. It's always best when a game builds up to being balanced rather than being torn down to achieve balance. When a game does that, that's when you get outrage and cries of "nerfing". I honestly think that is something that Meiun has done rather well with SO. He tends not to use nerfing as a method of balancing. Instead he will build up other aspects of the game to accomplish the goal. I would personally rather not see projectiles at all until they can be implemented well. If they don't work out exactly at first, removing them would be the worst thing.