News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Official Sneak Peak!

Started by Meiun, June 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

Quote from: RainbowDash on June 29, 2011, 06:18:38 PM
Would it be wise to say that Stick Online 3 will probably run better than Stick Online 2, if not in terms of graphics but maybe CPU and ram usage? Or just about the same? I just have the feeling that moving away from Game Maker will give you a better hold on PC resources.

Quote from: meiunHighly multi-threaded server design, written entirely in C# (no XNA for this part of course).
Not saying multi-threaded is the same thing as multi-core but this is some what related, what about multi-core systems on the client side? Will the game use that some how? Thought it looks like the game may not need all that power.
It should run much better than V2 on all counts, including graphics. The client itself is multi-threaded too, but there is just a significantly lower need for this sort of thing on the client end so far. If any additional reasons or substantial gains could be achieved by adding more threads into the clients design, then I would certainly be willing to incorporate them. The server on the other hand is a different matter when it comes to multi-threading, as it is ultimately doing far more than the client in terms of what it has to keep track of, calculate, manage, etc. For instance, by default, the server is set to run each level/zone simultaneously on its own thread, while on the client you can obviously never be in more than one level at a time.

Quote from: sayers6 on June 29, 2011, 06:36:31 PM
The most important question of all, will the game server be able to handle the 1000 people that will log on the second the server goes up?
Depends on the server machine I guess? :D Like I said above, I put a good bit of effort into ensuring the server is efficient, and scaleable. The server program (while a totally independent program) essentially has the entire game engine built into it, minus any of the graphical components of course. But despite that, under pretty much all the tests I performed so far, it's CPU usage sits pretty steadily at about 0% on all of the computers I've tested it out with (despite it ultimately being in charge of a lot more than the client). Obviously I haven't tested it under any large loads of people yet seeing as it hasn't officially entered testing, so that number will obviously go up, but I'd still say it's a good start.

RainbowDash

I think this topic has distilled much confidence back into the community. Makes me vary happy for the game.

Bread

I can't wait for this game.. Thank you Meiun.

11clock

Titan

The one other thing that comes right to my mind, is the suggestion of dungeons.(Various rooms groups of players fight to, get to a boss, etc.)

Is this something that you have considered adding to the game?
Livin' in a lonely world.

Forum

First off i'm like holy sht SO 3 preview posted by Meiun!@!@!@OMGZOR

But i'd just like to say why does there have to be such a change to the simple stick game? Maybe its just me with the new change but i still don't get it. Though i'm still excited with new SO comin soon hellz yea.

Also not that it's my business just wondering why "wanderlustgame" in your siggy is this how you've been spending your time, playing 150+ hrs :(.

Officially quitted

sly 3 4 me

Quote from: Forum on June 29, 2011, 11:39:41 PM
Also not that it's my business just wondering why "wanderlustgame" in your siggy is this how you've been spending your time, playing 150+ hrs :(.

Stick Online version 3 will be a free to play game created by Meiun. No reason to ask about it. Also, it's a fun game with a nice RPG aspect to it. You guys should check it out. :)

Forum

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on June 29, 2011, 11:42:32 PM

Stick Online version 3 will be a free to play game created by Meiun. No reason to ask about it. Also, it's a fun game with a nice RPG aspect to it. You guys should check it out. :)
Not at all what i was trying to get at sly 3 4 me. Okay?

He's been playing it for 150+ hours i thought it was cruel that instead of working more on SO 3 he played another game more and we had to wait longer.
Officially quitted

Jmac

Technically, he's under no obligation to work on it. He can do whatever he feels like and release it whenever he wants to. We were lucky that he chose to give us some info about it as he said in a post a month ago. We've waited quite a long time already, so I'm pretty sure we can wait a little longer, if he chooses to play Wanderlust instead of develop v3, that's his decision and we shouldn't judge him for it. :P

Titan

Quote from: Forum on June 29, 2011, 11:49:04 PM

He's been playing it for 150+ hours i thought it was cruel that instead of working more on SO 3 he played another game more and we had to wait longer.
Heaven forbid he do what he thinks is fun.

Fourm I'm pissed at you because you decide to play SO2 instead of solving world hunger.
Instead of working of solving world hunger, you played a game and millions of people died.
Livin' in a lonely world.

sayers6

Quote from: Titan on June 30, 2011, 12:01:58 AM
Quote from: Forum on June 29, 2011, 11:49:04 PM

Heaven forbid he do what he thinks is fun.

Fourm I'm pissed at you because you decide to play SO2 instead of solving world hunger.
Instead of working of solving world hunger, you played a game and millions of people died.

You sire, deserve one free internet. Just kidding, but seriously, back on topic :P
Meiun can do what he wants to, he's still a young guy, let him live.

Freeforall

Meiun just released an official sneak peak, and you guys are still complaining. How do you think that makes him feel?

Also, do you think you could show us a monster from the game? :o If they are already ingame?

Meiun

First off i'm like holy sht SO 3 preview posted by Meiun!@!@!@OMGZOR

But i'd just like to say why does there have to be such a change to the simple stick game? Maybe its just me with the new change but i still don't get it. Though i'm still excited with new SO comin soon hellz yea.

The changes are here to help make the game into the game I would have wanted it to be from the start. The basic concepts should still be familiar, as I certainly don't wan't it to lose the simple appeal that the first one had, even though the new one will indeed have a bit more to it.
   As for the wanderlust signature.. Wanderlust is a game created by two friends of mine, who I've known since I was about 14 years old (I am now 22). If it weren't for them, I probably never would have even gotten into programming, let alone game development (they were sort of my inspiration in many ways). Also, the hour count in the signature also includes time spent dedicated hosting for other players (which does not even require you be at your computer, and accounts for a great portion of that time). But even if that weren't the case, I will do what I damn well please in my free time.
   I love working on Stick Online, both for myself as well as for you guys, and I've easily clocked in well over the amount of time indicated in that siggy into working on it as of late. But I am certainly not just going to eat sleep and work on the game. I feel somewhat ridiculous for even having to explain this, but I have a life beyond programming and working on SO. I like to play game with my friends, spend time with family, my girlfriend, and whatever else makes me happy. It is honestly a bit insulting that anyone would assume that I shouldn't be allowed to spend time doing other things just because I also make Stick Online as a hobby. Honestly, if I weren't able to spend time relaxing and doing other things a bit every day, not only would my brain probably melt, but I would also go out of my mind, and then there would be no game for anyone :-X

Quote from: Freeforall on June 30, 2011, 12:54:34 AM
Meiun just released an official sneak peak, and you guys are still complaining. How do you think that makes him feel?

Also, do you think you could show us a monster from the game? :o If they are already ingame?
As I believe I may have mentioned in one of my earlier posts, monsters are one thing that I may end up looking for another artist to handle at some point in the future. Venuse has made some really nice ones already, but he already has more than enough on his plate being the primary artist for just about everything thus far in the game. Now that development is really moving along, we have been considering trying to find an additional person to take some of the burden off of him with all the time consuming work of spriting and animating monsters. Therefore, there is a good possibility that most of the monsters already made might need to be replaced or reworked depending on what the new persons style looks like. So because of that, I'll probably want to wait before showing too much on them. I'm also still fleshing out some of the mechanics for some of the AI and monster behavior improvements that will be in the new game.

darkflash

shame on you he can do whatever he wants he doesn't haft to make the game hes doing it cause he enjoys it and for us and he can do so as he pleases at his own pace when somone makes a game its not the only thing they do they still do other stuff jeez learn some respect.

Also is there any finished monsters and stuff that we could see i'm really eager :P

Meiun

Quote from: darkflash on June 30, 2011, 02:25:28 AM
shame on you he can do whatever he wants he doesn't haft to make the game hes doing it cause he enjoys it and for us and he can do so as he pleases at his own pace when somone makes a game its not the only thing they do they still do other stuff jeez learn some respect.

Also is there any finished monsters and stuff that we could see i'm really eager :P
See my previous post for information about monsters (Just edited it with info about it, responding to Freeforall's question).