News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

CPU Usage Spikes? (Help pl0x)

Started by 11clock, June 30, 2011, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

I'm in need of help. Recently my computer has been getting random cpu usage spikes on the Windows XP half of my computer. This is annoying in that whenever this occurs, my computer lags. This is especially noticeable when playing games or listening to music. At first thought it was my computer's internal speakers, but after testing with headphones I still occasionally hear static.

I've tried virus scans, but my virus scanners didn't pick up anything.

Anyone know of a fix for this?

Note: The Mac side of my computer is fine and never gets these spikes, so it's most likely a software issue.

Another Note: The spikes occur even when I'm doing absolutely nothing.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: 11clock on June 30, 2011, 05:20:39 PM
I'm in need of help. Recently my computer has been getting random cpu usage spikes on the Windows XP half of my computer. This is annoying in that whenever this occurs, my computer lags. This is especially noticeable when playing games or listening to music. At first thought it was my computer's internal speakers, but after testing with headphones I still occasionally hear static.

Note: The Mac side of my computer is fine and never gets these spikes, so it's most likely a software issue.

Open up a task manager and observe what's taking up the CPU power.

11clock

Quote from: EpicPhailure on June 30, 2011, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: 11clock on June 30, 2011, 05:20:39 PM

Open up a task manager and observe what's taking up the CPU power.

I am, but I don't really much going on. During the spikes, however, the total commit charge goes up.

RainbowDash

This might help you out. In task manager you can click on the box labeled CPU in the process tab. This will sort by CPU use. That way you can more easily see what's doing it.

11clock

Quote from: RainbowDash on June 30, 2011, 06:15:35 PM
This might help you out. In task manager you can click on the box labeled CPU in the process tab. This will sort by CPU use. That way you can more easily see what's doing it.

All of the processes are at 0, expect for one called System Idle Process. System Idle Process's CPU usage is most of the time at 99.

EDIT: There is also one called avgcsrvx.exe that shoots up to 15 CPU usage at the time of the lag spikes.

RainbowDash

That one is ok. I can't really help now. I don't know what's going on. I would just leave it open and take a look when things start getting slow.

11clock

Quote from: RainbowDash on June 30, 2011, 06:49:23 PM
That one is ok. I can't really help now. I don't know what's going on. I would just leave it open and take a look when things start getting slow.

Edited last post. Noticed one of the programs goes up the charts at the time of the lag spikes. I think the issue is AVG.

Scotty

That's definitely AVG.  What version are you running?  Is it the newest?  Did you by chance notice the CPU spikes WHILE running your virus scan?

As everyone else has recommended, Avast is known for not being too interfering and less hungry on the CPU if you're looking for a replacement.

11clock

Quote from: Scotty on June 30, 2011, 06:55:58 PM
That's definitely AVG.  What version are you running?  Is it the newest?  Did you by chance notice the CPU spikes WHILE running your virus scan?

As everyone else has recommended, Avast is known for not being too interfering and less hungry on the CPU if you're looking for a replacement.

I've heard good things about Avast.

At the moment I'm working on uninstalling AVG. I can't remove it using Add/Remove Programs due to some error, so I'm using a third party program to uninstall it (it can even uninstall AVG by force if it still doesn't work).

EDIT: Uninstalled AVG. The lag spikes went away. Thanks!

God-I-Suck

Yeah good move. AVG caused me so many problems..

EpicPhailure

AVG is a bit outdated (or perhaps has been). Avast is also what I use personally (because of this forum :P)

stick d00d

AVG and Norton will lag the hell out of your computer. I use Norton on here only because it came with my ISP for free, but I am going to replace it.

Jmac

:o Dang, my laptop has had AVG on it forever. I was wondering why the heck my computer is so slow. *Facepalm*  :-\

11clock

The problem returns. This time a program called SearchSettings.exe is creating the spikes. It looks like a magnifying glass in the toolbar. Don't know where it came from, so I'm removing it.

krele

Quote from: Scotty on June 30, 2011, 06:55:58 PM
Did you by chance notice the CPU spikes WHILE running your virus scan?
That. Plus, keep in mind AVG automatically schedules your scans. It can be disabled, but is quite annoying.

Also, call it it being ignorant, but my machine runs at it's full potential for a year already without having anti-virus software installed. No stupid software is ever going to tell me what I can and what I can't do on my machine =P