News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SOv2 Character Compensation

Started by Torch, July 08, 2011, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celson

EDIT: Ignore this stupid post that I made.

Torch

Quote from: Celson on September 03, 2011, 05:03:56 AM
I really don't think we deserve any form of compensation for being a SO2 donor. SO3 is a whole new game. Everyone should start fresh.
My suggestion was compensation for players with characters that have reached level 100, not donors. This is incentive for people to donate and play more SOv2. Read the original post for details.

Celson

Quote from: Torch on September 03, 2011, 10:45:51 AM
I really don't think we deserve any form of compensation for being a SO2 donor. SO3 is a whole new game. Everyone should start fresh.
My suggestion was compensation for players with characters that have reached level 100, not donors. This is incentive for people to donate and play more SOv2. Read the original post for details.

Yikes. Sorry about that Torch. Ehm yeah not really sure what to make of your idea. Bit on the fence with this one.

Jmac

Oh crap, if this were to happen, I'd get nothing lol. Time to stop leveling HitMe and finish getting Jmac to 100! :) And were you guys thinking of the bonus only applying to your first created character in v3? Or would you want it to apply multiple times if you had 2+ level 100's?

Mystery

Quote from: Jmacrules on September 03, 2011, 12:44:21 PM
Oh crap, if this were to happen, I'd get nothing lol. Time to stop leveling HitMe and finish getting Jmac to 100! :) And were you guys thinking of the bonus only applying to your first created character in v3? Or would you want it to apply multiple times if you had 2+ level 100's?
Multiple applications of the bonus for different accounts based on how many you have should absolutely not be in v3.

I'm against a bonus for a single account and am sure it won't happen, and I'm also against porting tournament items to v3.

But THAT is what I would abhor the most.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lucifer

Quote from: Mystery on September 03, 2011, 08:31:11 PM
I'm against a bonus for a single account and am sure it won't happen, and I'm also against porting tournament items to v3.

You are?
Why?

Turkey

Quote from: Lucifer on September 03, 2011, 09:04:34 PM

You are?
Why?
I'm sort of with him, I don't want to start out the game with an awesome hat.
But I would want it eventually, maybe like after the first Official SO3 Tournament.

stick d00d

Yea it would be cool to see the v2 tournament hats in v3, that is if they get them re-sprited by the same people.  :P

Mystery

Quote from: Lucifer on September 03, 2011, 09:04:34 PM

You are?
Why?
I feel that getting an exclusive item for the duration of v2 (or in foG's case, the rarest weapon in-game he wouldn't get otherwise) and the notoriety of winning the tournament is enough of a reward without having it carry over into v3 where it really would be unfair. Bottom-line, I don't think someone should get a prize for another game entirely if they won something in a past game in the same continuity and reaped the rewards there.

I know Turkey got his hat in v2 later on, but he didn't have his hat in the original where he won, nor was there quite enough of a player base in v1 for the winning to feel more gratifying, so that's an exception.

I would like for there to be an archive of some sort inside the v3 game (maybe a billboard/computer in a town/village) with the sprite of each item prize shown (along with any additional ones), along with the winner of each tournament and some background information on it, though. The notoriety should be kept, that's perfectly fine.

It would probably really discourage me from playing v3 if any material rewards were given in advance for any reason (notwithstanding GMs, that's a completely different subject) to normal players.

Ceroblitz

In my opinion, they should get their hats, but not until a certain high level or later in the game where it serves as proof as a win of the tournament, if possible, having the stats the same would be neat, or make it just a novelty ( statless or small stat boost similar to the old crown).

Mystery

Quote from: Ceroblitz on September 03, 2011, 10:45:01 PM
In my opinion, they should get their hats, but not until a certain high level or later in the game where it serves as proof as a win of the tournament, if possible, having the stats the same would be neat, or make it just a novelty ( statless or small stat boost similar to the old crown).
I don't see how an archive of the winners isn't proof of win of the tournament. I even requested the prizes be shown. :P If proof of the win is the only reason, then an archive solves everything.

It's also not like everything would be equally ported. I doubt highly Ludacris/Disasteroid/st3k/Specialboy will ALL be around for v3. Heck, DaDude didn't even get a prize, even though he's not exactly anything short of inactive for years/quit playing.

And if it's just for continuing to have the reward:

Quote from: LuciferI can't honestly say I really care for any kind of character compensation, I mean frankly I don't understand the concept of being rewarded to play a game you enjoyed. Shit, I figured the donor server alone was kind enough on Meiun's part for SOv2 players, do we really need anything else?

What you're truly asking for is something shiny to attach to your e-peen as you dangle it in front of newby SOv3 players, and I don't think that's necessary.

I can understand donation compensation, but not this.

Same exact principle. Being rewarded for a difficult tournament in the same game is fine. Continuing to have this reward into another game(I don't care that's it's v3 of Stick Online. It's a new game entirely. You don't get to carry over save files of games in sequels to said game.) where it would provide an unfair advantage, or at the least just be "something shiny to attach to your e-peen as you dangle it in front of newby players".

Lucifer

I suppose I just don't consider SOv3 to be a "new game entirely". Like the transition from V1 to V2, the basic principles of the game will be the same; A Stick Figure MMO where kill monsters to obtain experience and loot. The difference simply lies in the mechanics stapled on top of the core gameplay. I see Stick Online V3 as another "version" of the game that is, Stick Online. As you said, you don't believe that, and that's where our opinions differ.

But I can see your point, and I guess when it comes down to it I don't mind either way.

Mystery

Quote from: Lucifer on September 04, 2011, 12:12:16 AM
I suppose I just don't consider SOv3 to be a "new game entirely". Like the transition from V1 to V2, the basic principles of the game will be the same; A Stick Figure MMO where kill monsters to obtain experience and loot. The difference simply lies in the mechanics stapled on top of the core gameplay. I see Stick Online V3 as another "version" of the game that is, Stick Online. As you said, you don't believe that, and that's where our opinions differ.

But I can see your point, and I guess when it comes down to it I don't mind either way.
I see what you're getting at. My problem is that the differences in the mechanics and gameplay will be large in v3 compared to v2 from what I've seen of it in the sneak peek, and that even if it WAS the same game, more or less a sequel to it, they haven't done anything in v3 to reconcile it. I addressed the sequel/version point of view with this analogy:
Quote from: Mystery
I don't care that's it's v3 of Stick Online. It's a new game entirely. You don't get to carry over save files of games in sequels to said game.

I'm interested in some of the GM's views on this subject.

Snakeman

Add a monocle+tophat item that's available in the shop when you reach/are already at 100 and call it a day.

Jesus you kids are greedy. We need nothing more than a novelty hat for hitting 100; by that time you will most likely have a decent or rare weapon and hat, even if you're an unlucky douche (e.g. me, only having to tote a GS and Fedora around)