News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Give us limited Global chat already.

Started by Snakeman, August 04, 2011, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snakeman

I have a spinoff on the usual suggestion regarding global that I'm willing to share.

I believe Global chat should be allowed to be in use by normal players when the number of players is below a certain number (e.g. 5). At this point, finding out who's online is nigh impossible. Playing alone in SO blows and we all know it. It's not meant to be a singleplayer game at all. At the same time, who wants to run the whole entire world to see where the only others online are? I surely don't. What if you did anyways, and found out everybody else was idling? Nothing but a complete waste of time.

So, when the game is in a very dry spot with the players connected, those who are still playing should be allowed to speak on the global channel.

And if spam is a problem, perhaps it could be in order to simply make a command to turn off non-GM global talk? Even though the idea of spamming an almost empty game seems extremely moronic, there is the possibility. Probably done in the same way as all the other ingame commands, e.g. "/global".

CherryPie

As much as i like this idea, as low is the chance that it will be implemented in v2. Effort estimation for something like that is at least 3-4hours + testing. In that time, meiun could instead accomplish a lot more for v3.

If you wanted to see this in v3 also, you should take a step back and look again, because v3 will not be similar to v2 when it comes to chatting - we have multiple game rooms and an expected player base of over 1000 (=>100+ online at a time). That will result in  a dedicated clan chat but not in global chat abilities for the non gm players.

Snakeman

Quote from: CherryPie on August 04, 2011, 03:03:09 AM
As much as i like this idea, as low is the chance that it will be implemented in v2. Effort estimation for something like that is at least 3-4hours + testing. In that time, meiun could instead accomplish a lot more for v3.

If you wanted to see this in v3 also, you should take a step back and look again, because v3 will not be similar to v2 when it comes to chatting - we have multiple game rooms and an expected player base of over 1000 (=>100+ online at a time). That will result in  a dedicated clan chat but not in global chat abilities for the non gm players.

Oh, in no way am I going to be expecting this for v3. All I'm saying is that, it'd be nice to know who the small group of people are online and where are they, as well as what they're doing, whenever you're online at a rather uncrowded time.

T-Rok

3 hours? Are you serious? I'm pretty sure the game already keeps count of how many users are online. Just throw an "if" statement or two into the "press alt" action. 10 minutes, tops.

CherryPie

Quote from: T-Rok on August 04, 2011, 03:44:17 AM
3 hours? Are you serious? I'm pretty sure the game already keeps count of how many users are online. Just throw an "if" statement or two into the "press alt" action. 10 minutes, tops.

And you do exactly know how complex and static/dynamic SOs client-server-architecture is from where..?
Of course the raw implementation takes less than an hour but in an mmo you also have to make sure that it can't be abused by portential hackers, it can't be glitched somehow and so on and so on..real software developers should know: the first 80% of your task takes 20% of the estimated time...

T-Rok

Quote from: CherryPie on August 04, 2011, 07:34:26 AM
Quote from: T-Rok on August 04, 2011, 03:44:17 AM

And you do exactly know how complex and static/dynamic SOs client-server-architecture is from where..?
Of course the raw implementation takes less than an hour but in an mmo you also have to make sure that it can't be abused by portential hackers, it can't be glitched somehow and so on and so on..real software developers should know: the first 80% of your task takes 20% of the estimated time...

The core of the system is already there. All the hack prevention for global chat is already inside. The entire global chat system is programmed, hack proofed, and works as we have so when the GM's talk. Allowing people to use it if there are less than 5 people online is a simple modification to the (most likely) current check if you are a GM. No security additions would be required.

Lucifer

Anyways, lets stray away from details neither of you could possibly know, and back to the actual subject matter.

I've always appreciated Meiuns concept of bringing players together by keeping chat local, but a form of global chat would be appreciated in these days where the community is spread so thin. My 2cents:
  • It should be completely optional & disabled by default, enabled by /global or a similar command.
  • It should keep local chat's anti-spam system, kicking players after repetitive messaging.
  • Perhaps the capability to personally mute players as to lessen reports and moderation requirement.
    I also don't think the player count requirement should be necessary unless this is being suggested for SOv3.

I hope Meiun gives this idea some thought, as we truly need a form of communicating with each other. Shout-boxes seem to be out of the picture, and Scotty's attempt at hosting a chat server didn't pan out so well. The donation pool only goes as far as to bring in new players, communication helps keep those players.

Mr Pwnage

Why not just give global chat a 5 minute cooldown per message? You only need 1 sentence to ask/answer players questions and report locations/boss monsters etc. People shouldn't use global for casual conversations, but use it as a tool to get close to eachother.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

havok

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on August 06, 2011, 05:28:30 PM
Why not just give global chat a 5 minute cooldown per message? You only need 1 sentence to ask/answer players questions and report locations/boss monsters etc. People shouldn't use global for casual conversations, but use it as a tool to get close to eachother.

i could see that working only thing about that is some noobs trying to gobal spam

Mystery

Quote from: havok on August 06, 2011, 07:41:34 PM

i could see that working only thing about that is some noobs trying to gobal spam
Not sure what you're trying to get at here. Assuming Pwnage meant 5 minutes between every message excluding GMs regardless of the account, it wouldn't be possible for everyone online to 'abuse' the global chat feature.

Granted, it would probably defeat the purpose of instant communication across the SO world if that was the case and not just for each individual user, which is why I'd prefer it be handled for each individual one.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

havok

Quote from: Mystery on August 06, 2011, 07:57:58 PM

Not sure what you're trying to get at here. Assuming Pwnage meant 5 minutes between every message excluding GMs regardless of the account, it wouldn't be possible for everyone online to 'abuse' the global chat feature.

Granted, it would probably defeat the purpose of instant communication across the SO world if that was the case and not just for each individual user, which is why I'd prefer it be handled for each individual one.

kids yelling random bs thing every 5mins.

but most this time i thing a mod ill be on to gobal it anyways

CherryPie

Quote from: havok on August 06, 2011, 10:17:39 PM
Quote from: Mystery on August 06, 2011, 07:57:58 PM

kids yelling random bs thing every 5mins.

But I think most of the time a mod will be on to gobal chat it, anyway.

Corrected, but I still don't get what you were trying to say.. :D

king

Well, how about we do have what u say do it every 5 minz or so.. and if some one does use it for bad and not good then he get temp. banned.

krele

OR! A brand new epic suggestion! Wait for the love of God, and don't waste Meiun's time on SO2 anymore!

God forbid anyone ever follows this suggestion D:

DR4N3

OR! A whisper command, and a "/who" command that doesn't work like a "/how many" command!