News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Give us limited Global chat already.

Started by Snakeman, August 04, 2011, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaptainKohl

And if you have a /who command as DR4N3 said, it could also tell you where the people are too. EX: KaptainKohl -Mountain. You could then see if your friend is on and where you can find him.

czechmate

Yeah a /whisper command and a proper /who command would do wonders.  Or maybe just have the server say for example "Dark Sage at the wall" when one spawns.  Though I'd prefer to just have a proper /who and a /whisper command.

Forum

Quote from: czechmate on August 17, 2011, 03:21:51 PM
Yeah a /whisper command and a proper /who command would do wonders.  Or maybe just have the server say for example "Dark Sage at the wall" when one spawns.  Though I'd prefer to just have a proper /who and a /whisper command.
We don't need to have when a boss spawns, as it would cause everyone to go there just to kill and leave and continue to do that without helping to spawn when certain people have been there for hours. But i support for private messaging and a lil global chat with lesser power.
Officially quitted

DR4N3

Quote from: Forum on August 17, 2011, 09:40:41 PM
We don't need to have when a boss spawns, as it would cause everyone to go there just to kill and leave and continue to do that without helping to spawn when certain people have been there for hours. But i support for private messaging and a lil global chat with lesser power.
So we just run around trying to guess whena boss spawns? Oh, better yet, you spawn a boss and fight it alone. Fun ^^.

Lingus

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 19, 2011, 01:15:13 PM
Quote from: Forum on August 17, 2011, 09:40:41 PM
So we just run around trying to guess whena boss spawns? Oh, better yet, you spawn a boss and fight it alone. Fun ^^.
Bosses don't spawn spontaneously (not counting snowmen? I honestly don't know if those work the same as normal boss). Someone has to be actively killing the monsters in the area. In that case, when one spawns, the person/people who are in that area actively killing will know about it. The idea of globally transmitting when a boss spawns really just means that people who are not actively killing in that area can now run over and help kill the boss. Most of the work in killing a boss is getting it to spawn in the first place. So you can see how that would be a bit unfair to the people who did all the work.

On the other hand, if there is a limited global chat, if the people who are trying to kill the boss need help, they can choose to global chat the boss spawn. That leaves the option open whether they want help or not. That's a much more fair option, and it's less actual work in terms of implementing a feature.

DR4N3

Quote from: Lingus on August 24, 2011, 06:32:20 PM
On the other hand, if there is a limited global chat, if the people who are trying to kill the boss need help, they can choose to global chat the boss spawn. That leaves the option open whether they want help or not. That's a much more fair option, and it's less actual work in terms of implementing a feature.
Seems like the best solution.
Selfish, but the the fairest one.

Lingus

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 25, 2011, 06:27:20 AMSelfish, but the the fairest one.
Sort of, but you can turn that around as well. It's kind of selfish when someone wanders over when a boss spawns just to kill the boss and then leave. If you expect a cut of the boss, you should put in the work to help spawn it.

Kind of a tangent though.

Ontopic: A very simple, limited global chat for SO2 would be nice.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on August 25, 2011, 03:24:49 PM
Yes I also think so. Comes up in a different color from normal and gm chat so the other users know its not from there zone. Has a cool down time between them of like 30 seconds or so to prevent spamming and misuse. That last point im not really sure on.

I find this a good idea. Not that many people really play. Well more like not too may people for single chat environment anyway. But when there are a lot of people on they are most of the time in the same area like at a tournament, boss or event. So you don't need to worry about them global chatting because they are most likely already in the same zone. But when there are fewer people spread apart it will became useful.

DR4N3

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 25, 2011, 06:27:20 AMSelfish, but the the fairest one.
Sort of, but you can turn that around as well. It's kind of selfish when someone wanders over when a boss spawns just to kill the boss and then leave. If you expect a cut of the boss, you should put in the work to help spawn it.

I was building an argument and forgot to post it.
Imagine your at the bandits trying to spawn a BA, while across the map, someone is trying to spawn a DS.
Guy number 1 wants a IS and a BM, and Guy number 2 wants a DH and Slasher. They are both unaware that the other is trying to spawn given boss. They spawn the bosses, fight them maybe with a couple of friends and life goes on. An opurtunity was lost on both sides. You could say: "If  he wanted that IS, he should have been here, it's not my fault" but that doesn't seem too fair to me. Maybe it's a bad and poorly constructed example, but I just want to show how it depends on perspective. I just hope I said I what I meant, my arguments usually lead to ugly misunderstandings (*coughscottycough*).

Lingus

Quote from: DR4N3 on August 27, 2011, 06:31:51 AM

I was building an argument and forgot to post it.
Imagine your at the bandits trying to spawn a BA, while across the map, someone is trying to spawn a DS.
Guy number 1 wants a IS and a BM, and Guy number 2 wants a DH and Slasher. They are both unaware that the other is trying to spawn given boss. They spawn the bosses, fight them maybe with a couple of friends and life goes on. An opurtunity was lost on both sides. You could say: "If  he wanted that IS, he should have been here, it's not my fault" but that doesn't seem too fair to me. Maybe it's a bad and poorly constructed example, but I just want to show how it depends on perspective. I just hope I said I what I meant, my arguments usually lead to ugly misunderstandings (*coughscottycough*).
That's fine. That's kind of a specific situation and different from what I was talking about. In that case if both parties want to announce that they have spawned whatever boss for the benefit of others, that's their choice. Which is another good case for the global chat. As of now, there wouldn't even be a way for those 2 people to let eachother know. But yea, if they want to work together, or even just let someone else jump in on the kill then by all means. But I still don't consider it selfish if they don't want to do that. They're the ones doing the work so they can choose not to let others in on the kill. At the same time they shouldn't expect someone else to do that for them if they aren't going to.

DR4N3

Quote from: Lingus on August 29, 2011, 05:35:14 PM
At the same time they shouldn't expect someone else to do that for them if they aren't going to.
This is the kind of things I like to avoid.
But yea, it depends on the person really. The important thing here is, will we GET a global chat in V2?