News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SO 3 Classes (talk in general)

Started by krele, August 10, 2011, 04:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krele

This is not a suggestion topic, but it doesn't fit in 'general' since it's about SO3. I think this is the most fitting group.

So, if Stick Online had a classic mainstream classes system, what classes would you like to exist?
I personally think SO shouldn't take the mainstream approach with Wizard, Warrior, Assassin and Priest (pretty much every game has those, named differently). I'm playing a game of mafia at the moment, and a weird idea enters my mind. Maybe SO should have some weird classes that matches the city roles. For example doctor, detective, politician, etc. 'cause apparently I dislike mainstream.

How about you? Do you like mainstream? Which classes would you like? =)

EpicPhailure

I agree with how mainstream classes wouldn't fit. Stick Online is, in the end, a game where you kill monsters. There's no way to avoid that. In other games where you can become a healer and get away with leeching. You can't do that here (or perhaps you can in SO3 with parties or something).

Perhaps Mafia-like roles would be cool if S.O. took on a social aspect, almost like Mabinogi. That would make S.O. stand out among sidescroller MMOs.

Lucifer

I was browsing the old forums the other day and I came upon the first suggestion I ever made for Stick Online; classes. However, in terms of mainstream classes, I've come to believe more and more that they really aren't necessary for this game. Unlike many MMOs with mainstream class systems, Stick Online lets you choose your stats, and they actually have a gigantic impact on your gameplay. If Meiun is to keep the type of stats system currently employed in SO2, I don't believe adding in a limiting mainstream class system would compliment it very well.

Quote from: krele on August 10, 2011, 04:34:12 PM
Maybe SO should have some weird classes that matches the city roles. For example doctor, detective, politician, etc. 'cause apparently I dislike mainstream.
I don't know too much about mafia other than our games on these forums, could you go more in depth about how those roles you've listed differ from classes?
Quote from: EpicPhailure on August 10, 2011, 04:40:57 PM
Perhaps Mafia-like roles would be cool if S.O. took on a social aspect, almost like Mabinogi. That would make S.O. stand out among sidescroller MMOs.
What do you mean by social aspect?

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Lucifer on August 10, 2011, 05:49:06 PM

I made that post 2 hours ago and now I forgot D: Don't mind me :P

krele

Maybe SO should have some weird classes that matches the city roles. For example doctor, detective, politician, etc. 'cause apparently I dislike mainstream.
I don't know too much about mafia other than our games on these forums, could you go more in depth about how those roles you've listed differ from classes?
Quote from: EpicPhailure on August 10, 2011, 04:40:57 PM
It depends. It would be stupid to keep them mainstream classes with other names. Perhaps they wouldn't add anything to combat, but add a special set of miscellaneous skills. Something fun, like role play games. Ever played GTA:SA Multiplayer? Something like that, it's kind of hard to explain.

By social aspect, I think he meant about that part-time job system in mabinogi, or was it in a different game? Anyhow, as far as I remember, mabinogi had a special system where classes had to do their jobs properly to gain experience and money.

Mystery

Sounds odd. Mafia game roles do not translate into another game, let alone an MMO, very well.

Doctor would practically be a healer, or if you want to take it literally from Mafia, protection abilities.

Detective/Cop would have investigative powers of some sort.

Politician has a couple of variations in Mafia. Two I know of are buying another player's vote during the night for his use the next day, and being able to bribe his way out of a lynch once. How that would work in SO, no clue.

I think krele's been playing a little too much Mafia...  :P

I honestly don't want to see classes in v3.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

DR4N3

No classes is fine. Classes only work for restricting players from some things. The stats are restriction enough.

KaptainKohl

Whats the point of having classes when stick online allows you to make your person into what ever you want. i think there shouldnt be classes. I like that you can choose what you want to make more powerful every time you lvl up

stick d00d

I'd like it to be the way it is in V2, except we will have abilities/spells to use however we choose instead of having to be limited to a class, which is what I think Meiun plans on...

DR4N3

Quote from: stick d00d on August 11, 2011, 02:39:47 PM
I'd like it to be the way it is in V2, except we will have abilities/spells to use however we choose instead of having to be limited to a class, which is what I think Meiun plans on...
Enphasis on my point of stats are restriction enough.
You choose to go Strength? You get powered up physical abilities.
You choose Agility? You get to be Flash.
You choose Vitality? Defense skills, nuff said.
You choose Inteligence? You get smarter. Oh, and possibly some powered fireballs.

Lucifer

I'm confused as to why you're placing the word "restriction" anywhere near the current stats system when it gives more freedom with your characters development than any game I've ever seen. In other games your stats compliment your character, and even with bad stats you can still function. In Stick Online you ARE your stats, you are given full power over your character development, so much so that you have the ability to ruin your character if you so choose. Most MMOs aren't ballsy enough to provide their players with that choice.

Anyways I've been throwing this idea around in my head for a while, how about a stat-based skill system? I don't mean unlocking skills as you develop stats, the more I think about that the more flawed it seems to me; but how about there being separate skills for each stat, and each of which would scale off of its respective stat. I.E. "Fireball" would do more damage the higher intelligence you have, or "Power Slash" would do more damage with more strength.

stick d00d

Quote from: Lucifer on August 11, 2011, 04:25:42 PM
Anyways I've been throwing this idea around in my head for a while, how about a stat-based skill system? I don't mean unlocking skills as you develop stats, the more I think about that the more flawed it seems to me; but how about there being separate skills for each stat, and each of which would scale off of its respective stat. I.E. "Fireball" would do more damage the higher intelligence you have, or "Power Slash" would do more damage with more strength.

I have a feeling this is how abilities will be played out in V3. I could never see SO becoming a typical class-based MMO. It would ruin the feeling of freedom to do whatever you want with your character.

Forum

runescape world of warcraft nty :P
Officially quitted

Lingus

Seems like Meiun probably has all of this figured out for SO3 already.

Quote-A unique skill system, offering both customization as well as exciting new discoveries.
-Character customization via a variety of different player ?traits? (in addition to just stats) that will uniquely impact both your strengths and weaknesses, as well as how you play the game.

Gho$t

Quote from: Forum on August 11, 2011, 06:37:42 PM
runescape world of warcraft nty :P

you mean WoW not runescape, Runescape lacks a class system, there are 3 combat styles but they aren't really considered classes. WoW has class based builds though.