News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

ZeniMax is suing Mojang

Started by Scotty, August 10, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I thought this was posted, alas I didn't see anything, so I figure I'd bring it to light.  The general gist of it is, Mojang (Notch and Minecraft) is producing a game called (simply): "Scrolls", a collectible card game that has yet to be released.  Zenimax, the publisher's of Bethesda's popular "The Elder Scrolls" series, is suing them for trademark infringement.  Quite a crock of shit if ya ask me, likewise to how Notch felt, so he decides to go public about Zenimax's intent, thus succeeding at making them appear to be a bully:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309/bethesda-are-suing-us-heres-the-full-story

The worst part? If a company doesn't pursue legal challenge to trademarks, they run the risk of dilution (like kleenex or xerox) or losing the name altogether (aspirin, butterscotch, heroin (hah!), zipper). Copyright doesn't have to be defended to be kept, but companies need to keep on top of trademarks.  Even if it never makes it to court, they have to challenge it, or set a bad precedent.  Stupid eh?  Anywho, here's a bit more in-depth look from Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/elder-scrolls-vs-minecraft-dev-scrolls-is-our-word.ars

krele

It's still pretty stupid for me. It would be ok if they protect "Skyrim", but not "scrolls"... Not even "oblivion". How much diluted could their game "Elder Scrolls" get if there's a game called "Scrolls"? Aspirin, Fanta, Heroin, Zipper, Nike, Intel, everything is fine by keeping this on top. It's a trademark, but trying to even challenge "Scrolls", a damn common word in English language is ridiculous. What if I made a game named "Hello, My name is Frank, I like to listen to soul, metal, rock and I play guitar in my free time."?

It's a load of crap, and if you ask me, they deserve to appear to be bullies. I never liked them anyways (loved their games though).

Freeforall

Yeah, I read that yesterday. Seems pretty lame.

Meiun

"notch Markus Persson
Signing a deal with Orson Scott Card to make Scrolls a scifi adventure game instead to stop the confusion. We're naming it The Ender Scrolls"

Lolz

krele

Quote from: Meiun on August 12, 2011, 02:54:27 PM
"notch Markus Persson
Signing a deal with Orson Scott Card to make Scrolls a scifi adventure game instead to stop the confusion. We're naming it The Ender Scrolls"

Lolz
Really witty, I really hope they do something of that sort. The Elder Rolls! Hah!

Seifer

If he actually collaborates with Orson Scott Card I will play the shit out of this game. My two favorite things, Orson and Minecraft? I'm there!

Meiun

Quote from: Seifer on August 14, 2011, 02:02:45 AM
If he actually collaborates with Orson Scott Card I will play the shit out of this game. My two favorite things, Orson and Minecraft? I'm there!
Orson Scott Card actually is writing for the game Firefall, but I'm pretty sure the minecraft one is just a joke :P

Scotty

czechmate

Quote from: Scotty on August 17, 2011, 01:14:19 PM
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

I honestly hope this happens and they live stream it.  Though Bethesda probably won't even pay attention to that suggested form of handling the situation... Even though ZeniMax owns ID software, who made Quake 3, and could probably find some pretty good players.

Chaos

Hahaha, I love Notch.  I honestly hope ZeniMax takes him up on the challenge.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I love how he's proposed it.  Even if it's a win or lose for either sides, he's still essentially offering them free advertisement for putting a "We are in no way affiliated with Bethesda's [the rest is irrelevant]"

krele

What an epic solution. If more lawsuits were handled this way Earth would be such a peaceful place.

czechmate

Quote from: krele on August 17, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
What an epic solution. If more lawsuits were handled this way Earth would be such a peaceful place.

And lawyers would be professional Quake Arena players....

EpicPhailure

Quote from: czechmate on August 17, 2011, 07:38:01 PM
Quote from: krele on August 17, 2011, 06:57:50 PM

And lawyers would be professional Quake Arena players....

So kids will have legitimate reasons to play games for money.