News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Antivirus?

Started by Freeforall, September 25, 2011, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeforall

I had to format my hard drive on my laptop. I LOVE avast, but sadly it does real time scans, even when I 'turn them off' so it lags my games. Are there any antivirus programs that won't lag games and hog the CPU too much? Preferably a free one, but I can get whatever you suggest to me.

Thanks.

ARTgames

microsoft security essentials is free and should show up in your windows updates as a optional one. But I dont know if thats true for winxp/vista. But if you can its good and takes little resources.

Matty_Richo

Personally, I use Trend Micro and it causes no issues with gaming or anything. As far as free ones go, I've heard good things about Avira.

venuse

i suggest comodo, its free, and i havent gotten a virus with it since i started using it.
http://antivirus.comodo.com/

Meiun

Trend Micro is real lightweight and fast, and a pretty respected one. Although the later versions approach is more about keeping them off your system to begin with than removing them once its on (they only really check for the most current threats, so if you've had one on there for a while it may not find it). That being said though, its still overall a pretty good one. Personally I've been a pretty big fan of BitDefender, it's one of the top rated, has really awesome features, and is just all around solid. The latest version is pretty sweet, although last I checked (when it first came out) caused some compatibility issues with certain software. Hoping those got sorted out by now. Lastly, we use Vipre at my work, I haven't payed much attention to it but it is suppose to be known for being really fast and lightweight.

In terms of free, Avast is amazing and probably my #1 recommendation, but if you are having trouble with that, you can always just give something like Microsoft Security Essentials a try. Super simple user interface, and pretty lightweight. I believe it actually does a fairly decent job too from what I hear.

Freeforall

I'm giving AVAST! one more try, just because it's really easy to use, and I'm used to it. I have been thinking about getting Kaspersky? Have y'all heard of that one?

Hikarikuen

Also, anyone who uses Avast should be sure to set the language to pirate. I mean, which would you rather hear: "Virus Database Has Been Updated" or "Avast me hearties, yer blacklist of dangerous sea dogs be safely aboard."

The fast that I could do that is what made me stick with Avast instead of any other free AV :P

Freeforall

Quote from: Hikarikuen on September 27, 2011, 10:29:13 AM
Also, anyone who uses Avast should be sure to set the language to pirate. I mean, which would you rather hear: "Virus Database Has Been Updated" or "Avast me hearties, yer blacklist of dangerous sea dogs be safely aboard."

The fast that I could do that is what made me stick with Avast instead of any other free AV :P
Haha, wow! I never knew it would do that. That's pretty awesome :D

havok

pandacloud and its free