News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Global Time

Started by Matty_Richo, October 25, 2011, 08:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

I've always found trying to create events frustrating, you give a time in a certain timezone and everyone goes crazy trying to work out when it is blah blah blah. What what if there was a Stick Online specific time? an in-game clock if you like. That way, when creating an event, we could just say, 7:30pm SOT (Stick Online Time).

This idea is mainly for v3 but would be just as useful in v2, I wouldn't imagine it'd be too much work, and could be somewhat useful.

Beastmode

It would be very useful for everyone because everybody who plays this game lives all across the world. So with the in-game clock everyone would never miss any events. XD

RayRay

I like that idea. However, the frustrating part is if the translated time goes on into the next day or the day before. Say in EST an event would start at 11:00 PM on January 27 something. If you translate that to GMT, you get 4:00 AM January 28. And announcing an event at 4:00 AM SOT (if it's based on GMT) could lead the person waiting another day and completely missing the event.

My point is that there should also be a date in the game.

God-I-Suck

Lucifer

Mr Pwnage

We shall call it... "Stime".
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

House

yes i aprove to and it should be called the stime ontime

Loganvz123

A way to fix that. Is to have our own Stick Calender.
E.G. This will happen on StickTime day 121 at 0700 Stick Hours.

Jmac

Quote from: Loganvz123 on October 26, 2011, 03:35:13 AM
We could easily implement this onto the main page. It would be static for everyone, so that all time zones would see the same time on the website. This could prevent confusion with GMT and allow more people to know when things are happening.

Also, this would be a nice feature in v3. There could be a /time command that showed you the Stick time. Just a suggestion ;)

Morgasm92

While we're at it, we can make an original language made primarily of sticks

|\\\/\\II/\|\\lI\\\ll/\|

T-Rok

Quote from: Morgasm92 on October 26, 2011, 12:37:43 PM

While we're at it, we can make an original language made primarily of sticks

|\\\/\\II/\|\\lI\\\ll/\|

-|//\I\/--=ll?

Lingus

Wait... you're talking about creating an time that would be offset from different time zones by a certain interval. They already have that. It's called GMT. You're just talking about using GMT when setting up an event. All that really does is makes it so the person setting the event needs to translate the time. They could just list it as whatever their time zone is (and state their time zone). That way they don't have to translate it. Either way the person looking at the time would have to translate it. And actually, in a lot of cases, they wouldn't even have to do that. How many people here are in GMT time zone? Probably not the majority. This would just be creating extra work for a majority of the people.

What would be interesting to see is a calendar of events that automatically displays the correct time/date for anyone looking at it. This kind of thing is already something you can do with most shared calendar software (like Outlook/Exchange). If something like that were implemented on the website, someone could add an event and list the time/date in their time zone, and when someone else looks at it from another timezone it would automatically offset it showing them the correct date/time in their time zone.

Loganvz123

We'll need some kind of PHP god.

Mr Pwnage

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Meiun

I will probably do something like this for V3. Mainly just make something along the lines of a "/time" command where it will tell you the current time for the SO server. That way people can use that as a reference for any events and have an easy way to check it if they are confused about what time zone it should be.