News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Yugioh Duelist League

Started by Chaos, December 15, 2011, 03:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in participating in something like this?

Yes
18 (90%)
No
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Chaos

So, Lucy-fur and I have been discussing an idea we had.  Pretty much, the idea has been creating a website for Yu-Gi-Oh that would be similar to the SO PVP League. 

Essentially, what would happen is that you'd register on the website, and you would receive about 5 'booster packs'.  It would display what cards you received in those booster packs and list them on your account.  You would then proceed to build a deck with those cards in the program Yugioh Virtual Duel (a program that allows you to build decks and duel against other people over the internet), and use it to duel other members. 

After you finish a duel, you submit the YVD Duel Log to the site, so we can confirm your victory over your opponent.  Assuming you were victorious, we would proceed to update your Duelist Ranking accordingly, and award you 'Duelist Points', the amount varying upon your Duelist Ranking compared to your opponent.

Duelist Points would then be used on the "Card Shop" page of the site.  You go there and can spend your earned points to purchase new booster packs from the shop, the cards of which will then be added to your list of 'owned' cards on your account.  The available booster packs would consist of the first booster, "Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon", and I would add a new booster pack every month onward.

To prevent cheating, your list of 'owned' cards would be publicly viewable by others on the site, so other members and site ops can verify the legitimacy of your deck.  This would also serve to facilitate the final function on the site, the ability to make offers and trade your virtual stock of cards with other members to make your own personal deck of awesome.

In summary, what this site would do is have you register an account that keeps track of a Duelist Ranking, Duelist Points, and a virtual stock of Yugioh cards to duel with.  You can then proceed to duel other members to increase your ranking, earn yourself Duelist Points which you can then spend in the Card Shop, and additionally trade your cards with your fellow duelists to build yourself an awesome deck and propel yourself to the top of the league!

My question to you, dear SO members, would anyone be interested in participating in such a thing?  Luc has done some preliminary discussion with Igufed about creating such a site, and I've considered speaking to Scott about whether he'd be interested (alas, I know he's been very busy lately).  Before we even consider asking anyone to spend time and effort helping us create such a website, we want to gauge people's interests and see if it'd be worthwhile.  So vote, dear SO members!  Let us know your thoughts!

EDIT:  Additionally, I, and Lucifer to a lesser extent, are well versed in the rules of Yugioh, and would be willing to teach anyone who wants to learn and play in the Duelist League.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Chaos111

I would love this! I used to play with my brothers alot, but alas, over time the cards have been lost. I even used to have a Slyther the Sky Dragon :D
Life is only the beginning of the story.

Torch

Hell yeah that's a great idea, can we choose which booster packs we get?

T-Rok

This sounds really awesome. I rather enjoy the fact that the cards we get are random and not just picked by us. I would do this.

Chaos

The current thought is that the initial 5 or so boosters would be from Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon.  Alternatively, we could award the new account enough duelist points to purchase 5 packs of their own choosing.  The boosters you purchase from the shop will be whichever one you select from the ones available.  Additionally, since one would, in theory, not be able to purchase any boosters if they continued to lose all their duels (and thus never be able to get stronger), I'm also considering adding a weekly or bi-monthly awarding of a booster pack of the most recently released, so even if you weren't able to play an entire month, you'd still have obtained at least 2-4 packs from that set.

I've been pondering using the Japanese versions of the packs between Legend of Blue Eyes and Ancient Sanctuary, since all those English boosters were two Japanese boosters put together (Legend of Blue Eyes was originally the Japanese "Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon" and "Phantom God", English Metal Raiders was originally Japanese "Revival of Black Demon's Dragon" and "Metal Raiders").  Essentially, the cards we got in our boosters were the same as the Japanese ones, we just got 2 packs rolled into.  After Ancient Sanctuary, our packs fell in line with Japanese card lists.

I've also been considering reworking the rarities of the cards to follow more logically according to strength.  Using the TCG LOB booster as an example, Tri-Horned Dragon and Gaia the Dragon Champion were Secret Rares, Celtic Guardian, Mystical Elf, and Polymerization were Super Rares.  Meanwhile, Raigeki, Dark Hole and Swords of the Revealing Light were Supers and Pot of Greed was a standard RARE.  Dark Hole and Swords would be bumped up to Ultra, and Pot of Greed and Raigkei would become the Secret Rares.  Tri-Horned Dragon and Gaia the Dragon Champion would become Ultras, Mystical Elf would become a Rare, Polymerization would become either a Rare or Common, and Celtic Guardian would become a Common.

Weight in on each of these decisions, tell me what you think.

Receive 5 Legend of the Blue Eyes White Dragon, or receive Duelist Points and let you buy your own packs?  (when the site is launched, LOB will be the only booster initially available anyway.)

Award extra boosters every month, or make people win and earn their packs?

Use the TCG Booster Pack Lists or the OCG Booster Pack Lists?

Rework the rarities to follow the power of a card, or keep them the way they originally were?

Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Torch

5 blue-eyes to start

extra boosters each month

TCG for simplicity

and if you're willing to put the time in to rework the rarities, definitely go for it but that could be a bit of a hassle to go through each booster

Scotty

I'd be up for assisting with the site, seems fairly straight forward enough without having to do anything extremely difficult.  Let me know if you need my assistance with anything.

Mr Pwnage

I'm down. Probably gonna need to refresh myself on how to play, as it's been forever. I'm curious though, do we get to choose any card we desire in our deck as long as it's a legal deck?

EDIT: I see you all discussing some sort of card selection method above, but am sort of confused about the boosters and all this junk you all are mentioning, so any clarification would be appreciated.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Chaos

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 15, 2011, 02:33:20 PM
I'm down. Probably gonna need to refresh myself on how to play, as it's been forever. I'm curious though, do we get to choose any card we desire in our deck as long as it's a legal deck?

EDIT: I see you all discussing some sort of card selection method above, but am sort of confused about the boosters and all this junk you all are mentioning, so any clarification would be appreciated.

Yeah, read this.   ;)
Jake says:

T-Rok

Quote from: Torch on December 15, 2011, 01:38:01 PM
5 blue-eyes to start

extra boosters each month

TCG for simplicity

and if you're willing to put the time in to rework the rarities, definitely go for it but that could be a bit of a hassle to go through each booster

This. But also, you could award a small amount of duelist points to losers to allow them to eventually buy cards.

God-I-Suck

Sounds like a pretty sweet idea lol. I like it and support it, but I may not be that active on it. But I would definitely join in!

Mystery

I would love this.

Though for the future booster packs, you might want to rework the legality of certain cards on your own and not go by the standard legal deck, because it wasn't until many booster packs later that some cards got their overpowered niche. (i.e. Magical Scientist)
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Jmac

I'd actually enjoy this a lot. I haven't found anything decent to play lately, and I used to play Yugioh back in the day, so why not?  8)

Also, you should think about a system for trading back(selling?) cards for duelist points. This way, if someone has multiple cards that they don't need and no one wants to trade for, they can use the points for another booster pack. Each cards worth could be based upon rarity I suppose.

Chaos

@Mystery: The plan is to start off with no bans or restrictions.  The likely changes in rarity and inability to just easily purchase a ton of packs (unlike in real life) will restrict the potential for rare cards becoming wide spread, and help prevent 'staples' from forming.  If it gets to the point where really powerful cards are becoming too widespread and dominating the game, at that point I would starting instituting restrictions.

@Jmacrules: I considered creating a system where you could 'destroy' 3 cards in your stock to receive a new one, but nothing has been decided quite yet.  I prefer to encourage trading to get the cards you want.  This way people can pick a certain theme or strategy they want and attempt to trade the cards that don't fit their deck for ones that do, which won't be done if everyone just destroys the cards they don't need.

Jake says:

Chaos

So, Igufed has already been hard at work getting the site up and running.  Feedback has been resoundingly positive, so we're going forward with this.  I've decided that, to provide a larger base to build starting decks from, we will be using the TCG Legend of Blue-Eyes White Dragon pack, and then using the OCG versions of the packs from then on.  (May use Metal Raiders TCG version as well, though.  Haven't decided yet).

I have decided to change up the rarities appropriately and am rather pleased with the results.  Additionally, I have decided to remove Tri-Horned Dragon from the LOB pack, in favour of the card that was in that slot of the pack in the OCG, De-Spell.  Tri-Horned Dragon will be instead be placed in the Promo Pack system, where all the other non-booster cards will be available.  The Promo Pack system will be a separate purchase in the Card Shop which will give you one random card from a selection of cards that are not normally available in booster packs. 

As it stands right now, creating an account will give you either 5 or 6 packs of LOB to start with.  Since a number of fusion monsters are now commons, it may be a better idea to give 6 packs just so we can ensure one has enough cards to build a deck with.

Lastly, I will probably have players receive a free pack bi-monthly.
Jake says: