News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stop Online Piracy Act(SOPA) and Protect IP Act

Started by Mystery, December 19, 2011, 04:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
If they made this a peoples' vote, guarantee it would be smashed. Idk why they're still even talking about it, it's literally one of the dumbest things I've heard them discussing apart from the whole 'pizza is a vegetable' thing.... -.-
Wish they'd waste time on something important.

Quote from: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/28/144375731/despite-signs-of-hope-iowa-voters-question-economyNovember's unemployment rate in Iowa was 5.7 percent, almost 3 points below the national average. That leaves more room for voters here to raise other issues with the candidates.

When Romney opened the floor for questions, one man wanted to know about religion.

"Yeah, I was wondering what you're planning on doing to get 'In God We Trust' back into this country again because our kids can't even celebrate Christmas in this country for fear of offending someone else," said the potential supporter. "Y'know, when we came here, we were founded on 'In God We Trust' and I'd like to see that back in this country again."

"Y'know, when we came here..." was running through my head for about an hour after I heard this on the radio. "When we came here?" What the hell does that even mean? When the pilgrims immigrated from England, or something? That is complete nonsense.

So, but, yea... that's an important topic right?

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on December 29, 2011, 05:25:56 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
If they made this a peoples' vote, guarantee it would be smashed. Idk why they're still even talking about it, it's literally one of the dumbest things I've heard them discussing apart from the whole 'pizza is a vegetable' thing.... -.-
Wish they'd waste time on something important.

Quote from: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/28/144375731/despite-signs-of-hope-iowa-voters-question-economyNovember's unemployment rate in Iowa was 5.7 percent, almost 3 points below the national average. That leaves more room for voters here to raise other issues with the candidates.

When Romney opened the floor for questions, one man wanted to know about religion.

"Yeah, I was wondering what you're planning on doing to get 'In God We Trust' back into this country again because our kids can't even celebrate Christmas in this country for fear of offending someone else," said the potential supporter. "Y'know, when we came here, we were founded on 'In God We Trust' and I'd like to see that back in this country again."

"Y'know, when we came here..." was running through my head for about an hour after I heard this on the radio. "When we came here?" What the hell does that even mean? When the pilgrims immigrated from England, or something? That is complete nonsense.

So, but, yea... that's an important topic right?

The whole debate is (forgive the onslaught of profanity) !@#$ing bullshit.  I mean this with a bleeding heart, everyone needs to lay off the militaristic (anti?) religion.  Oppressive Christians, Jews, Atheists, Muslims, doesn't !@#$ing matter, for some reason everyone feels the need to piss in each other's Cheerios if they're either offended or offending.  Everyone points the finger the other way, and no resolution is possible.  My public service announcement to anyone who may read this and be a staunch believer of faith (doesn't matter what kind) or not at all, stop trying to take a shit on the other side of the fence as means to make your point.  If you are one who does this, you are the problem.

In other words, if you follow a religion of any kind, or none at all, keep it to your shit eating self.  If you can't, you are a douche pickle that pisses people off, and causes stupid, meaningless, frivolous, and otherwise bullshit arguments that take away from human evolution and sets us back in our natural course of progression.  The reason we have politicians talking about religion is because people who don't believe in that religion are pissed off and want to have independence, and the people who feel the need to preach freedom of religion do it because believers want to convert them.

Someone please tell me that what I'm saying makes sense so I don't feel stupid.

DarkTrinity

Lol, shockingly, it makes sense.
I'm a firm believer in being open minded, I'm atheist but I don't go around telling other people they should be, heck I usually don't even mention it unless I'm asked first. I'm fine if people want to tell be about their religion, I'm all for education about other peoples' lives and how they chose to live it. Learning more can't hurt, but when people try to tell me that their religion is right(or better) and everyone elses' is wrong it just makes them sound like close-minded, arrogant, uneducated douche bags.
Usually I try not to start an argument that atheism is better though, because with religion there's rarely anything you can say to change someones belief anyways, so it's a worthless battle. They'll still sit there and tell you " God loves you, he'll forgive you if you own up to your sins and come over to the light side. I want to save your soul, come to church with me".
Sorry, Flying Spaghetti Monster loves my soul the way it is, thanks.

T-Rok

CONVERT TO MORMONISM. DO IT NOW FOOLS. SAVE YOUR SOULS! OURS IS THE ONLY WAY.

But seriously, I agree. I honestly despise people like that. I will listen to another persons belief, but the second they try to impose it upon me, I will not speak to them.

Quickly, before the topic derails to religion! Install the derail lock system!

Scotty

Quote from: T-Rok on December 30, 2011, 12:07:45 PM

But seriously, I agree. I honestly despise people like that. I will listen to another persons belief, but the second they try to impose it upon me, I will not speak to them.

Only if you can reinstate the multiple hot wives rule will I consider.

Seems Godaddy has finally outright announced they are opposed to SOPA.  Not entirely sure why, as they actually gained more domain registrations than what they lost on the ditch Godaddy day...  Then again, according to the numbers, they are going to lose over $500k annual revenue (assuming $10 per domain per year) from those that did leave on Friday.

I guess I was ambitious in hoping that this was going to take a toll on Godaddy, I should have known better than to think that sleezebag company would actually take a hit from this.  Most people who register their domains through them probably don't even know about SOPA.

Still, their Evony-esque business model isn't stopping them from trying to make amends with the customers who haven't ditched them:

http://allthingsd.com/20111228/go-daddy-never-mind-that-sopa-thing-look-at-danica-patrick/

/head->desk

EDIT:  Looks like Sony's going into the history books...

http://youtu.be/WjOPXpd9PSU

T-Rok

Quote from: Scotty on December 30, 2011, 01:09:47 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on December 30, 2011, 12:07:45 PM

Only if you can reinstate the multiple hot wives rule will I consider.
The fact that you know it doesn't exist anymore impresses me greatly Scotty.

I always enjoy Anonymous videos. I like them. I dunno why, but something about them just appeals to me. Maybe that's just the part in me that wishes the Assassins guild really existed. :3

Mystery

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Scotty

Quote from: T-Rok on December 30, 2011, 06:17:12 PM
The fact that you know it doesn't exist anymore impresses me greatly Scotty.

What's the saying?  "Know thy enemy" is it?  :P

Quote from: Mystery on December 30, 2011, 06:49:31 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/30/nintendo-sony-drop-sopa-support/

Damn, and here I wanted to see Sony burn. I didn't know both EA and Nintendo were on the list, I didn't see them when the list went public.  At this rate their going to have only state and federal offices supporting it.  I want to see Anon make a video for as many of the supporters as possible to see how many drop.

Yankyal

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

krele

Quote from: Scotty on December 29, 2011, 11:44:49 PM
The whole debate is (forgive the onslaught of profanity) !@#$ing bullshit.  I mean this with a bleeding heart, everyone needs to lay off the militaristic (anti?) religion.  Oppressive Christians, Jews, Atheists, Muslims, doesn't !@#$ing matter, for some reason everyone feels the need to piss in each other's Cheerios if they're either offended or offending.  Everyone points the finger the other way, and no resolution is possible.  My public service announcement to anyone who may read this and be a staunch believer of faith (doesn't matter what kind) or not at all, stop trying to take a shit on the other side of the fence as means to make your point.  If you are one who does this, you are the problem.

In other words, if you follow a religion of any kind, or none at all, keep it to your shit eating self.  If you can't, you are a douche pickle that pisses people off, and causes stupid, meaningless, frivolous, and otherwise bullshit arguments that take away from human evolution and sets us back in our natural course of progression.  The reason we have politicians talking about religion is because people who don't believe in that religion are pissed off and want to have independence, and the people who feel the need to preach freedom of religion do it because believers want to convert them.

Someone please tell me that what I'm saying makes sense so I don't feel stupid.
It's their most powerful weapon. The biggest bullshit that people will continue to believe no matter who tells them that. It's so well made, the closest of friends are ready to spit at each other just because of their different religiosity standpoints. Most of people are brainwashed in their early age by their own brainwashed parents, it's a god damn cycle of irrationality, fear and selfishness.

I see where you come from, I've been thinking about it a lot too, but in reality there's no helping it. It's already mostly subcouncional, I could name 40 people that would spit and throw shit at me if I was to share my own "filthy, ignorant, non-believing" thoughts about religion, but they would still call themself my friends. It serves as an argument in everything, everything happens because it's god's god damn will. I am not an atheist, I believe in an entity that created the universe and life, but not a "god" represented by any of our religions. I also don't call them foolish for believing, I personally think faith nourishes your life pretty well. I call them foolish for their judgmental and ignorant personalities (which most of religious fanatics posses).

Sorry about this rant, I just felt like I could freely state my own opinion.

T-Rok

Quote from: krele on December 31, 2011, 01:10:33 PM
It's their most powerful weapon. The biggest bullshit that people will continue to believe no matter who tells them that. It's so well made, the closest of friends are ready to spit at each other just because of their different religiosity standpoints. Most of people are brainwashed in their early age by their own brainwashed parents, it's a god damn cycle of irrationality, fear and selfishness.

I disagree. In the lds church we are taught not to do that because, "People close their minds and their hearts." It is their weakest weapon and worst tool. We are taught to "lead by example." I'll give an example of what I mean with a long boring story. No religion in the world has ever been allowed to build anything on what is considered the "holy ground" in Jerusalem to the Jewish faith, except the lds. We were allowed to build BYU-J on the terms that if we ever preached even a single word, it would be torn down that day and the people there would be imprisoned. Upon the final day of construction the leader of Jerusalem came to discuss and make sure they all understood the terms of agreement. Upon acknowledgement from everyone he said "That's good, but now what am I supposed to do about that look in your eye."

tl;dr
Essentially, people notice. They see your actions far more than any words you could ever yell at them.

tl;drttl;dr

Disagree.

Mystery

Quote from: Scotty on December 30, 2011, 08:49:48 PM

Damn, and here I wanted to see Sony burn. I didn't know both EA and Nintendo were on the list, I didn't see them when the list went public.  At this rate their going to have only state and federal offices supporting it.  I want to see Anon make a video for as many of the supporters as possible to see how many drop.
It seems a lot of corporate entities flew in under the radar when they started to support SOPA.

Quote from: Yankyal on December 30, 2011, 10:57:23 PM
They still support ESA which supports SOPA.
True, but it's a considerable step down from directly supporting it.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Scotty

Quote from: Mystery on December 31, 2011, 06:05:31 PM

Honestly, I can understand, if not agree with companies who support the idea, not the execution.  Think about it, why is everyone up in arms over SOPA?  It's likely one of two reasons: Either they want to be able to pirate shit, or they read between the lines and realize this legislation is going to allow for some very damaging acts of restricting free speech, at a level where someone can't even post up their wedding dance with their significant other on youtube because of the background music (as an example). 

I can understand people wanting to protect their stuff, and if a good piece of legislation came out that would allow them to do that without having such a broad capability for abuse, I'd probably support it, because morally, that's the right thing for me.  Think about it, if you put hard earned money into creating something only to have it ripped off (and I do mean flat out ripped off, not some mambsy-pambsy background music or torrent, I mean flat out stolen and relabeled to give someone else credit), wouldn't you be a bit pissed and perhaps want to prevent that?

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Scotty on January 01, 2012, 12:45:43 PM

Honestly, I can understand, if not agree with companies who support the idea, not the execution.  Think about it, why is everyone up in arms over SOPA?  It's likely one of two reasons: Either they want to be able to pirate shit, or they read between the lines and realize this legislation is going to allow for some very damaging acts of restricting free speech, at a level where someone can't even post up their wedding dance with their significant other on youtube because of the background music (as an example). 

I can understand people wanting to protect their stuff, and if a good piece of legislation came out that would allow them to do that without having such a broad capability for abuse, I'd probably support it, because morally, that's the right thing for me.  Think about it, if you put hard earned money into creating something only to have it ripped off (and I do mean flat out ripped off, not some mambsy-pambsy background music or torrent, I mean flat out stolen and relabeled to give someone else credit), wouldn't you be a bit pissed and perhaps want to prevent that?

Yea, I relate it to artwork. Like on DeviantArt (and of course other places on the internet), there's a problem with people stealing other peoples' work, posting it as their own and then trying to sell prints of it. That's straight up stealing. But there's a difference between that and say someone posting your work on their own site, sharing it with their friends, because they really like your work (even if they don't get permission from you). -the latter I would relate to a song in your wedding video or w/e-
If someone's outright ripping you off, taking credit and making a profit off your work, then by all means take em down.

Yankyal

No it's not. It's a "hey look everyone we aren't supporting SOPA anymore don't rape us." It's not a true dropping of support, they are just hiding their support now.

Quote from: T-roktl;dr
Essentially, people notice. They see your actions far more than any words you could ever yell at them.
What do you mean by this? That people can't use religion as a political tool? I hope you're joking. You can twist any religion to fit any kind of message you want.

I could campaign for the return of slavery saying the Mormon God wants it, by pulling out some of the mark of Cain scriptures or Joseph Smith's articles on abolition. Sure not every Mormon would agree but it would be a hell of a lot easier to say my god hates black people than to say I just hate black people.

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10