News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

If SOv3 turns out to become a fully fledged indie game.. Git repository and API

Started by Loganvz123, May 22, 2012, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loganvz123

You see, I was thinking.
Stick-Online 2, back in the day, had about 50 people on at once, and over 10,000 registered users, with barely any advertising.
Now, this was a GameMaker game based of the 39dll.
From the look of the screenshots, and what I hear, in this next C++ rebuild. I can almost vision Stick Online becoming a kind of MapleStory, it may lose it's sense of community, but the game itself will prosper greatly.
I was thinking...what if we could host custom servers, like Minecraft, and have a C++ API with hooks and methods to add plugins?
I know this would require quite a bit of work...but when I started playing Minecraft back during Alpha, I started learning programming hMod plugins. I then continued this during Canary - the continuation of hMod, and even contribute some time on the gitHub from time to time.
So my suggestion is this. An API, a plugin system, and a gitHub repository.
I personally would love to be able to study C++, and submit some pulls and commits, so that we could get a proper development team, and it wouldn't just rely on Meiun doing all the work.

Scotty

My understanding is that it's using .NET with the XNA framework, not C++.
Github won't happen because the game isn't intended to be released under an open source license.
User hosted servers won't happen either since it is intended to follow an MMO structure of gameplay, thus one server, many players.

All the above is based off the following topic (Unless Meiun has changed something since):
http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.msg46519#msg46519

Lingus

Not a bad idea actually. There were a few "illegal" user hosted severs that popped up in SO2. Letting people run with it would be a great way to eliminate any conflicts. It may also deter people from trying to hack on the "official" hosted server. If they can create their own server that allows them to do whatever they want then what would be the point.

Meiun

The new version of Stick Online is actually written entirely in C# (not C++), with a minimal reliance on the XNA framework for drawing the graphics. It is a project that is rather personal to me, and (as Scotty said) intended to follow the MMO structure, so  allowing people to host their own servers and/or develop mods is definitely not a direction we plan on taking the game. In all honesty I have actually very much enjoyed being the lone coder for the game over the years. Ive found a great sense of satisfaction with coding every aspect of a large project like this myself. Like I said, it is a very personal project to me. Besides, I get more than enough collaborative programming at work @_@.

havok

Quote from: Lingus on May 22, 2012, 02:34:48 PM
Not a bad idea actually. There were a few "illegal" user hosted severs that popped up in SO2. Letting people run with it would be a great way to eliminate any conflicts. It may also deter people from trying to hack on the "official" hosted server. If they can create their own server that allows them to do whatever they want then what would be the point.

no just no lol all im going to say lol

Lingus

Quote from: havok on May 26, 2012, 10:30:15 AM

That was posted more as a "I know this isn't going to happen, but..." And anyways, I don't think you were around to see some of the "illegal" user hosted servers that popped up and/or "major" instances of hacking. All I was saying is if user hosted servers were allowable, it would be able to be more controlled by Meiun rather than completely off the grid like they were. Again, not that I think it will happen, or even that I'm serious about the suggestion. But I do think something like that would be a deterent.

It's similar to the argument against DRM. Rather than attempting to lock everything down and put restrictions on things, which just makes people want to try to break the restrictions even more, allow people access to the things they want access to and the developer/owner is better able to control their property. Or even that they don't need to control it because there is no reason for people to try to break whatever restrictions are left over.

havok

Quote from: Lingus on June 13, 2012, 04:29:43 PM
Quote from: havok on May 26, 2012, 10:30:15 AM

That was posted more as a "I know this isn't going to happen, but..." And anyways, I don't think you were around to see some of the "illegal" user hosted servers that popped up and/or "major" instances of hacking. All I was saying is if user hosted servers were allowable, it would be able to be more controlled by Meiun rather than completely off the grid like they were. Again, not that I think it will happen, or even that I'm serious about the suggestion. But I do think something like that would be a deterent.

It's similar to the argument against DRM. Rather than attempting to lock everything down and put restrictions on things, which just makes people want to try to break the restrictions even more, allow people access to the things they want access to and the developer/owner is better able to control their property. Or even that they don't need to control it because there is no reason for people to try to break whatever restrictions are left over.
I understand where you coming from.

However that would make it to where he would have to code even more when v3 is still not done then have to code to protect it and yes people will try and hack it but people will try even more and it will be even Easier with a personal server

Scotty

Quote from: havok on June 13, 2012, 06:17:19 PM
However that would make it to where he would have to code even more when v3 is still not done then have to code to protect it and yes people will try and hack it but people will try even more and it will be even Easier with a personal server

I'd actually disagree with this.  By the direction Lingus and you are taking this, I read the word "hacking" as maliciously manipulating the game (be it server and/or client) to their own gain.  What would be the point?  That's like saying someone "hacked" Minecraft, yet that game is still being actively developed, and despite how many knockoffs there are, how many duplicates people have attempted, none of them have been even remotely as successful as Minecraft.  If I "hacked" my minecraft download, I don't get nearly the amount of satisfaction since I'm the only one holding my enlarged genitalia in my left hand.  Now if I could do that in front of everyone on one official server, now that would be impressive!

havok

Quote from: Scotty on June 13, 2012, 08:02:06 PM

I'd actually disagree with this.  By the direction Lingus and you are taking this, I read the word "hacking" as maliciously manipulating the game (be it server and/or client) to their own gain.  What would be the point?  That's like saying someone "hacked" Minecraft, yet that game is still being actively developed, and despite how many knockoffs there are, how many duplicates people have attempted, none of them have been even remotely as successful as Minecraft.  If I "hacked" my minecraft download, I don't get nearly the amount of satisfaction since I'm the only one holding my enlarged genitalia in my left hand.  Now if I could do that in front of everyone on one official server, now that would be impressive!
sorry I didn't clarify I believe there would still be a main server and hacking items into the main server or other peoples. It would be like me using mods on your minecraft server in a way do to speak

Lingus

Yes, this was my point.

Quote from: havok on June 13, 2012, 08:30:20 PM
sorry I didn't clarify I believe there would still be a main server and hacking items into the main server or other peoples. It would be like me using mods on your minecraft server in a way do to speak
I get that, but I still think having unofficial user hosted servers would deter people from attempting to hack on the official main server. Some people would still want to, but that's going to be the case no matter what.

krele

Minecraft is not a competitive MMO title. As far as memory serves me, Stick Online is, and is planned to be on further release. Possession of the game's server would allow  the subject to gain information on how the game receives and forwards packets from other players, which would further allow the subject to mess around with the official server (taking into account the possibility of the existence of security holes). Minecraft also doesn't have the official server for people to play in, it was always meant to be a single-player - LAN multi-player game.

I'm prety sure this would be a bad idea in general. Acquiring server files and executables allows you to easily making a fake server forwarding fake responses and packets to whatever destination you desire. Even the official server, if the precautions haven't been met, while being totally untraceable.

Lingus

Krele, then how do you explain past instances of people hacking SO and putting up unofficial servers? People found a way into those security holes anyways. I guess giving them a server would allow them to do it easier (maybe?) but wouldn't that possibility be nullified by the effect of eliminating the desire to hack those security holes?

Either way, i feel this is all kind of theoretical. My intention is not to convince Meiun to even consider putting out a public version of the server for other people to host. I was really just making a point. So rather than have this continue down whatever path it's going, we can all just agree to agree.

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on June 18, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
Krele, then how do you explain past instances of people hacking SO and putting up unofficial servers? People found a way into those security holes anyways. I guess giving them a server would allow them to do it easier (maybe?) but wouldn't that possibility be nullified by the effect of eliminating the desire to hack those security holes?

Either way, i feel this is all kind of theoretical. My intention is not to convince Meiun to even consider putting out a public version of the server for other people to host. I was really just making a point. So rather than have this continue down whatever path it's going, we can all just agree to agree.
How about people NOT go into details about anything of that sort. Conceptual or not. I believe I already stated I have no intention of releasing server stuff. As Krele mentioned, it could do a lot more potential harm than good. It would do little more than give people a place to practice screwing with stuff. Stick Online is, and forever will be an MMO, not a player hosted game like Terraria or Minecraft. This topic has already been treading some shady subjects, and I believe I already made my answer clear. I'm not one for closing topics, but I'd at least like to request that people try and stray from going any further down the route of discussing things that violate the game rules (conceptual or not).

Lingus

ARTgames

I think It was said a long time ago but it was that Stick Online is not a community project. But a close source project by Meiun.