News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

If SOv3 turns out to become a fully fledged indie game.. Git repository and API

Started by Loganvz123, May 22, 2012, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krele

Quote from: Lingus on June 18, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
Krele, then how do you explain past instances of people hacking SO and putting up unofficial servers? People found a way into those security holes anyways. I guess giving them a server would allow them to do it easier (maybe?) but wouldn't that possibility be nullified by the effect of eliminating the desire to hack those security holes?

Either way, i feel this is all kind of theoretical. My intention is not to convince Meiun to even consider putting out a public version of the server for other people to host. I was really just making a point. So rather than have this continue down whatever path it's going, we can all just agree to agree.
It's not theoretical. It's full of facts :). With all due respect mate, I think you're questioning someone much more superior than you in the field we're currently discussing. It's funny that you mention how giving people a server would allow them to do it easier. Irony at it's best. However like Meiun said we should not discuss this any further.

Like I said, SO is planned to be a MMO. Releasing the server binaries of the game in that genre is stupid.

Lingus

Krele, my comment about it being theoretical had nothing to do with your post. I just meant that I didn't think Meiun would be doing this anyways, so it's basically pointless to discuss it.

Anyways, I'm not sure how this got so out of hand. I was just having a discussion about an idea. I didn't intend for anyone to get upset about this.

Jake

Quote from: krele on June 20, 2012, 12:52:58 PM
Krele, then how do you explain past instances of people hacking SO and putting up unofficial servers? People found a way into those security holes anyways. I guess giving them a server would allow them to do it easier (maybe?) but wouldn't that possibility be nullified by the effect of eliminating the desire to hack those security holes?

Either way, i feel this is all kind of theoretical. My intention is not to convince Meiun to even consider putting out a public version of the server for other people to host. I was really just making a point. So rather than have this continue down whatever path it's going, we can all just agree to agree.
It's not theoretical. It's full of facts :). With all due respect mate, I think you're questioning someone much more superior than you in the field we're currently discussing. It's funny that you mention how giving people a server would allow them to do it easier. Irony at it's best. However like Meiun said we should not discuss this any further.

Like I said, SO is planned to be a MMO. Releasing the server binaries of the game in that genre is stupid.
I think you're being a little bit rude in your word choice. Lingus had a valid point to make about an open server system, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea for Stick online. He understands exactly what he is talking about, so trying to determine who is "superior" when Lingus was simply speculating about possibilities and benefits of a different system, is a little bit childish.

Quote from: Lingus on June 25, 2012, 09:15:32 PM
Anyways, I'm not sure how this got so out of hand. I was just having a discussion about an idea. I didn't intend for anyone to get upset about this.
You didn't say anything wrong. People are getting worked up over a misinterpretation of your words.

Lingus

Thanks Jake. I was feeling like I had started this ball rolling. But I don't blame Krele for getting worked up. I know he's passionate about this stuff.

krele

Quote from: Jake on June 27, 2012, 01:56:59 AM
Quote from: krele on June 20, 2012, 12:52:58 PM

I think you're being a little bit rude in your word choice. Lingus had a valid point to make about an open server system, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea for Stick online. He understands exactly what he is talking about, so trying to determine who is "superior" when Lingus was simply speculating about possibilities and benefits of a different system, is a little bit childish.
I don't see anything wrong in my word choice. Please bold the words that might seem rude and/or offensive to an adult, for future sakes of my oh-so-advanced vocabulary and socializing abilities.

Seriously, I'm not someone that would talk about something he doesn't fully understand, and I don't think he took it offensively. If I'm mistaken then dunno, sorry? I apologize since it's partially, if not fully, my fault that this topic got out of hand.

Jake

Quote from: krele on June 28, 2012, 07:23:52 PM
I don't see anything wrong in my word choice. Please bold the words that might seem rude and/or offensive to an adult, for future sakes of my oh-so-advanced vocabulary and socializing abilities.
Sure.

QuoteWith all due respect mate, I think you're questioning someone much more superior than you in the field we're currently discussing.
That reply was not only insensitive, but an ad hominem. You pointed out that Dustin is "superior" without actually fully addressing the point Lingus was making. Doing this takes away from fruitful discussions, even if they are hypothetical.