News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

FJ sues Oatmeal. Oatmeal donates to bears and cancer.

Started by DarkTrinity, June 12, 2012, 09:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on July 09, 2012, 07:54:17 PM
Quote from: Scotty on July 09, 2012, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: EpicPhailure on July 09, 2012, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: Scotty on July 09, 2012, 07:25:14 PM
The anti-climactic saga is (hopefully) over:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/charity_money

200k in cash is actually pretty underwhelming. Who knew that thin pieces of paper could be so powerful?

It's actually only 20k... Of his personal funds.  To avoid any further litigation (Carreon accused him of wanting to withdraw the money and keep it for himself), he had IndieGoGo forward all of it on his behalf to nullify that argument, and just photographed 20k of his own personal cash.  Hence Carreon's bizarre "I won" claim from last week.

I remember him saying he was only going to take a picture 0f 20k... but at the top of that page it does say "here's the pic of the 200k+ in cash we raised for charity"... x.x

I stand corrected.  I counted up well over 20k, considering each stack is $2k, there's easily over 100k, but in no photo was I able to count more than ~$120k...

Oh wait, he explains:

QuoteI'm seeing a lot of the same questions, so Ill do my best to answer them here.

Coins:
As you can see, there's more than 4 cents on the floor in the giant FU picture.  I mistakenly thought it was 54 cents, so the actual amount pictured is $211,233.54 instead of $211,233.04.

Transporting the money:
I had to order the money from Bank of America about a week ahead of time and then go pick it up at a local branch.  I didn't want to take the photo of the money while inside the bank because they only had a tiny room and I felt a bit more secure taking it offsite to somewhere private.  One of my oldest friends happens to be tall, scary, heavily bearded, and have a large selection of (licensed) firearms.  I asked him to come with me and play bodyguard.  We took the money to my office and shot pictures of the photos on the floor.  It took about two hours and we returned it to the bank, where they machine-counted all the bills.   The whole experience was basically like the movie "Bodyguard" except Whitney Houston had a beard and guns and no one got naked with Kevin Costner.

The size
$211k in cash actually wasn't that impressive to look at, even in $20 bills.  I expected this huge crate of money.  It was really heavy though, despite being not as gimungus as I'd imagined. 

Rolling in it
I wanted to take a funny photo of me rolling in it, but the act of bathing in money sounded funny in theory but actually doing it felt really braggadocio, so I tried to just keep it classy and post photos of the money arranged in various shapes.

The drawing
I got a little frame for the drawing of FunnyJunk's mother and I'm hoping Carreon will pass it on to him. 

That's it for now!

-The Oatmeal

Mr Pwnage

I'm so proud of this guy. This is why you don't mess with creative genius.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Yankyal

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

EpicPhailure