News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Dropping items on death

Started by SantaClaws, July 24, 2012, 04:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaClaws

This idea is aimed at V3. The whole concept is pretty self explanatory, you lose items when you die. I've really been thinking about how I dont like that you pretty much can permanently keep every good item in the game, and never lose them. This is what  I think makes the game more boring in a way. Because you reach 100, and if you don't have the items you want, you go get them. Pretty simple if you ask me. After you get them, what is left for you to do?

Your probably saying "I just got this brand new inferno sword, and I do die often, I'd be pissed if I lose it this quick" But, my idea to solve that problem of people losing items they just got and are particularly rare, Is to be able to chose the items you keep. You could select maybe 3 or 4 of your most valued items that you are able to keep on death. If this was implemented, I think a lot more players would be cautious when they are attacking monsters, or pvping. I think this could add a very needed sense of risk into Stick-online.

The dropping of items could work in various ways, but my idea (In my eyes at least) is fair. When dying against a npc or monster, you keep 3-4 items and you lose the rest. But nobody sees any of the items you lost. You don't technically drop the items and when you die nobody sees an explosion of items flying out of you and landing on the ground, no. I dont think that it would be fair that people can benefit off of you dying, without them doing anything to cause your death. But on the other side of this idea, I think it's completely fair that if when you PVP against a player your items actually do drop onto the ground, and the person who defeated you can pick them up. To add even more risk to this, instead of keeping 3-4 items, you only keep 1-2. This also adds a beneficiary side to pvping. Pvping has no benefits what so ever (other then bragging rights and tournament prizes) This would make people want to pvp more often because there is actually something to gain from pvping against someone, and defeating them.

When you think of it, there is no risk in stick-online at all. If this was implemented it would bring a sense of risk, and even consequences to the game. I also think that it will bring players back to the game because if they do lose items they trained for, but not their best items, it wouldn't infuriate them to quit but it would give them motivation to try and get those items back. Adding risk to stick online will cause many benefits and even make the game more fair. Cause when you think about it, a player is only as strong as his stats and items when he loses his items, hes not as powerful. Do you kinda get what I'm saying?

~Santa

Ceroblitz

My thoughts upon this is that dropping items on death is too extreme. Unlike Minecraft or Terraria, an MMORPG does not implement that mechanic due to the fact that much stuff obtained (even more so in SO) can hold a high value in an MMORPG, which in minecraft or terraria, can be gained very easily again (as they are moreso sandbox games, which can have a high number of rare drops as opposed to most MMORPG's). For that reason, this idea is far too much of a item loss in comparison to games that actually do use this system. If there was a risk system, I would  rather suggest the loss of experience upon death, and the loss of money (possibly a % from your total). Something that can be gained through normal means and not luck ( because stuff in SOv3 can be harder to get ), something easy to gain back. If a risk system for dropping weapons in pvp is added, It would be better for something like betting, risking items or money when acing the other opponent. The suggestion of dropping weapons/hats on death is simply too much of a loss.

SantaClaws

I understand where your coming from, and it may be a little extreme to lose items when you die. I do like your idea about risking instead of losing your items every time you pvp. I like that idea, being able to chose when to put your items on the line. Thanks Cero!  ;D

11clock

No. That's one of the things I hate about Minecraft. It's simply too harsh, and it makes it feel like all of that 'work' was for nothing. It's not a game's objective to punish the player.

Lucifer

Quote from: 11clock on July 24, 2012, 10:20:16 PM
No. That's one of the things I hate about Minecraft. It's simply too harsh, and it makes it feel like all of that 'work' was for nothing. It's not a game's objective to punish the player.
I think you should play Day Z.

@Santa
I'd have to agree with Cero. Unless v3's drop system is drastically changed from v2's current system, the possibility of losing your rare items in PvE would cause way too much frustration. You already lose all experience and chance for equipment when you die during combat, further punishment seems unnecessary. I am however completely for betting items in PvP, whether via an actual system or simply player-enforced through trading.

RayRay

I do not like this idea. Dropping ANYTHING in PvE is unacceptable to me. If I could choose 4 items in my inventory, and I had to choose between (based on a v2 inventory) a Legendary Sand Blade, a Santa Hat, a Fedora, a Great Sword, an Inferno Sword, a Stone Hammer, a Dragoon Helmet, AND a Deranged Bunny Ears, an inventory that took months to obtain, I would ragequit Stick Online. That's four of SO's really good items gone...

However I am towards losing a few items in PvP to other players. (that is, what we agree on losing what)

KaptainKohl

I don't like the idea of dropping all items because they took so long to obtain and i would go crazy losing them so fast, but i like the idea of making the game more exiting/risky if you were able to bet an item on a pvp battle. It gives you more a reward and a risk to fight someone giving the game more fun i think.You also get to choose what item you want to bet and you both have to agree. This is more controlled and no one will rage because someone took all their items.

igufed

I dislike the idea of PvE item losses.  I'm all for PvP wagers, though.

Luci and I were just talking yesterday about it a little bit.  I'm in the process of making a new PVP League site for once v3 comes around and the way I currently have challenges set up is that you select a player to challenge, and then instead of just sending the challenge over for them to accept/decline right away, you get to add any details of that specific challenge you want.

So, if you want to wager any items, you'd put that into the challenge setup form before sending the challenge.  Once the challenge is sent, the person you challenged will be able to read the terms/setup of the challenge and accept/decline it. 

It would be strictly honor based whether the loser actually gives you whatever they lost in the PVP match.  If there is someone not honoring the terms of the pvp match (they agree to everything once they click accept on the challange), they would of course be removed from the League as well as have a bad reputation in the community, I'm sure.
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

sly 3 4 me

I agree with the idea of PvP encompassing a risk factor in terms of item loss (Or gain, in terms of for the other player). The addition of trading items may depreciate all item value in an overall sense, but I don't think it means that they should have a chance to be lost without regard to the player.

My idea, which, I personally would probably not opt to enable if such were implemented, would add a bit of risk factor, but it would be the player's choice. If all items were set on a scale of usefulness or rarity, I think it would be interesting to enable a risk factor on these items to allow a chance for gain in regards to drops. Let's say you have a a moderately rare weapon, placed in the middle of this proposed 'scale of rarity'. This would in turn allow for it to be given a base value modifier for all obtained items while risking this item. If you were to risk this item for loss on death, it would give a small chance to obtain rarer items than it. Let's say that you want to obtain three higher valued weapons with a base chance for drop of .5%, .7%, and 1%. With the process of risking this moderately rare weapon, the chances for these items would increase to .6%, .84% and 1.2%, respectively. There would have to be a check value to stop players from enabling and disabling it when monsters are close to death, or if the player is about to die. In the grand scheme of things I think it would add a bit of risk factor for players willing to opt for the chance, and if they were to die, then it would be their fault for risking it.

Torch

Quote from: igufed on July 25, 2012, 03:42:27 PM
I dislike the idea of PvE item losses.  I'm all for PvP wagers, though.

Luci and I were just talking yesterday about it a little bit.  I'm in the process of making a new PVP League site for once v3 comes around and the way I currently have challenges set up is that you select a player to challenge, and then instead of just sending the challenge over for them to accept/decline right away, you get to add any details of that specific challenge you want.

So, if you want to wager any items, you'd put that into the challenge setup form before sending the challenge.  Once the challenge is sent, the person you challenged will be able to read the terms/setup of the challenge and accept/decline it. 

It would be strictly honor based whether the loser actually gives you whatever they lost in the PVP match.  If there is someone not honoring the terms of the pvp match (they agree to everything once they click accept on the challange), they would of course be removed from the League as well as have a bad reputation in the community, I'm sure.
Easy solution to this. Both players trade their wager items to an account owned by the PvP league before the match. That account trades both items to the winner.

igufed

Quote from: Torch on July 25, 2012, 05:16:26 PM
Easy solution to this. Both players trade their wager items to an account owned by the PvP league before the match. That account trades both items to the winner.

Not a bad idea at all.. :)

Edit:  Although, if they want to wager any items they only have 1 of, and they wish to use that item during their match, could be an issue.  Would still go back to trusting they will give up anything they lose..
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

stick d00d

I don't know if Meiun could do something along the lines of how Runescape handles duel wagers, but it has a screen to let you place your wager and then waits for both players to accept. Once you accept your fight starts and the winner obviously takes both wagers. It might be a bit much to try to implement into this game though.

As for dropping items on death, I'd rather it stay the way it is now. Maybe instead we drop coins/potions, or other stackables? Just a thought.

Yankyal

This simply could not work. You don't get drops frequently enough.

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10