News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

V3 Sprite Suggestions (10) (Taking requests)

Started by MetalMatt, November 07, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalMatt

SOv2 was what got me into spriting, which is what got me into game design. 2 years in college doing a diploma in Interactive media and nearly three years in university doing a degree in Computer Games Design and im back where i started all those years ago =D

I couldn't resist:

As always any feedback is much appreciated.

Requests:
Mr.Pwnage (Sorcerer/Necromancer hood)

Turkey   (Knight solaire of Astora (Dark souls))

WIP
Matty_Richo (Barbossa' Hat from Pirate of the Caribbean)

If you have an idea for a hat that you would like to see but lack the technical ability to create it, let me know and when i get time ill whip it up for you =]

When i get a chance ill dig out the massive library of SOv2 sprites i did, sieve through the rubbish and post any i feel have stood the test of time, probably just in the artwork forum though, they weren't used back then why would they be used now =P

Quick note as this happened before: You do NOT have permission to use these sprites for your own game, in any way, shape or form (with the obvious exception of the SO team who may use them for Stick Online) This artwork is protected under International Intellectual Property Rights and is only to be used under the expressed permission of the creator

stick d00d

Wow these are really great, glad to see you're back!

sly 3 4 me

Those look awesome and fit in with what I've seen as to how V3 looks. Nice work.  :)

Mr Pwnage

I think that wizard hat is flawless and superb, just great work there. I think I prefer your first version to your second.

The top hat could use some work, I feel the top of the hat looks awkward, the way the red ribbon arcs up in the back is a little awkward, and the color of the hat might have a nicer contrast in a darker shade.

Anyways glad your back and running again, were always an old time favorite on the hangout forums! :D
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

sly 3 4 me

I was thinking the same thing, Lucifer, as it looks like the viewpoint might be a bit flawed with the frontal view point and then the change in color for an above view look near the top. I don't think it's bad, but it would look nicer with it having a bit of an adjustment. I also feel the frontal darker black line at the bottom is unneeded. It adds contrast that doesn't really seem necessary to me, as the light source seems kind of frontal, it wouldn't make sense for there to be shading there.

MetalMatt

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 07, 2012, 09:29:44 PM
I think that wizard hat is flawless and superb, just great work there. I think I prefer your first version to your second.

The top hat could use some work, I feel the top of the hat looks awkward, the way the red ribbon arcs up in the back is a little awkward, and the color of the hat might have a nicer contrast in a darker shade.

Anyways glad your back and running again, were always an old time favorite on the hangout forums! :D

=] i tried to use a bit of shade to subtly point the hat in a direction, i can see how it would look awkward. Top hats are very awkward looking hats anyway in my opinion =P it's good to know you are still around pwnage, its a shame the hangout died i would've loved to look over my topic again for nostalgia sake =D

I've missed forming hats around circles: updated Bandit + Jungle Mask

MetalMatt

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on November 07, 2012, 09:32:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Lucifer, as it looks like the viewpoint might be a bit flawed with the frontal view point and then the change in color for an above view look near the top. I don't think it's bad, but it would look nicer with it having a bit of an adjustment. I also feel the frontal darker black line at the bottom is unneeded. It adds contrast that doesn't really seem necessary to me, as the light source seems kind of frontal, it wouldn't make sense for there to be shading there.

not sure if this is just me but ive found sticking rigidly to a fixed light source can result in a very dull looking sprite with a blanketed gradient feel to everything thats all too often peoples first move, sometimes chucking a pixel in to draw the eye to a different spot or highlight something that would be overcast otherwise works well to communicate the artifacts smaller qualities and bring out a style. i can certainly see what you are saying though =]

Dammit double posted, sorry admins...

Meiun

Not bad at all! I especially like the wizard ones :)

thekolla

Awesome job man, I think they look wonderful! My favorite is the wizard hat, I really think it looks amazing. My least favorite is the top hat, I don't know why, so its hard to criticize it, If i would say anything about it, I would say it looks blocky but that doesn't make much sense seeing as how can you not make a top hat blocky. All the other ones also look great, Overall great job!

MetalMatt

Quote from: Meiun on November 07, 2012, 11:08:42 PM

thanks =]

@Kolla i always liked how blocky the top hat on SO2 was, might try a few variations maybe try and make it look more 'real' =] but you're right, how DO you make top hat not blocky lol

CherryPie

Quote from: MetalMatt on November 08, 2012, 04:28:27 AM
Quote from: Meiun on November 07, 2012, 11:08:42 PM

thanks =]

@Kolla i always liked how blocky the top hat on SO2 was, might try a few variations maybe try and make it look more 'real' =] but you're right, how DO you make top hat not blocky lol

on a side note: glad to see you're still around :)

Matty_Richo

Really love the wizard hat, I think I prefer the second version. Although it does seem a bit large for the head... but that's a minor thing.

MetalMatt

Thanks for the feedback, ive edited the tophat a bit, simply changed the shape slightly and corrected some shading then exaggerated the shape entirely:

Its annoying cause im not happy with any of them =P

Damn this is a good distraction from writing my dissertation =D

Matty_Richo

I'm just thinking it may look better if it was ever so slightly tilted back on the stick's head.

MetalMatt