News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

V3 Sprite Suggestions (10) (Taking requests)

Started by MetalMatt, November 07, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

Lingus

My 2 cents. It seems that some of the hats appear too big for the stick's head. It makes it look like the hats are covering it's "eyes" (or where the eyes would be). It gives the stick a very childish look, like a kid wearing his dad's hat. If you could scale them down very slightly, and/or have them sit higher on the head it might look more appropriate.

MetalMatt

I work from this: positioning the eye line any higher always looked too awkward in my opinion. To have the hats sit comfortably where i assume the eye line is they have to be quite big.

The cowboy hat, looking at it again, i agree should be higher, its far too low

i can move them all up a pixel or two just to show you if you want but i usually spend a few minutes playing with positioning and with the exception of the cowboy hat that was largely edited away from the base the hats are made specifically for their location on the circle. most of them would need to be completely reshaped to fit a different face alignment with higher or lower eyes or a higher or lower position on the head.

Meiun

I think Matt's judgement for how far down the face the hat goes is acceptable. If you look at the one in my avatar it isn't far off. They are faceless stick figures after all, so I tend to think of their fittings slightly differently than I would if they did indeed have a legitimate face. Though, you certainly don't want to get too carried away with that notion. I wouldn't be against things being a bit higher either, it just depends on the hat I guess.

Turkey

These are all very well done, Good work.

CherryPie

MetalMatt

Cheers for the support guys, Im very happy with the skull too! was always one of my favourite SO2 hats.

Any suggestions for other sprites to do, maybe you have an idea but no idea how to sprite it let me know and when i get time ill whip up a version for you!

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: MetalMatt on November 09, 2012, 10:59:14 AM
Cheers for the support guys, Im very happy with the skull too! was always one of my favourite SO2 hats.

Any suggestions for other sprites to do, maybe you have an idea but no idea how to sprite it let me know and when i get time ill whip up a version for you!

I actually wouldn't be sure to how to go about doing it, but I'd like to see some sort of dark hood that should be worn like a evil sorcerer/ necromancer. Try to go for red/black or maybe just a really dark shade of purple? I'll let you take artistic liberty with it!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

MetalMatt

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 09, 2012, 12:37:31 PM
Quote from: MetalMatt on November 09, 2012, 10:59:14 AM

I actually wouldn't be sure to how to go about doing it, but I'd like to see some sort of dark hood that should be worn like a evil sorcerer/ necromancer. Try to go for red/black or maybe just a really dark shade of purple? I'll let you take artistic liberty with it!

Hoods are notoriously difficult to do on stick-men and it all depends on the movement restrictions on the engine but ill give it a go.

stick d00d

Couple of suggestions:

Make the bandit mask look less wrinkled.
Jungle mask the eyes look a little too plain, maybe give them more shape?
The top hat shouldn't have the visible 'dip' I guess you'd call it on the top of that hat since you are viewing it from the side/front angle.

The wizard hat, cowboy hat, and skull mask are pretty much flawless, great job.

As for ideas maybe some revamped SO2 sprites, an elves hat, maybe some type of full helmet... I'll think of some more ideas later.

MetalMatt

Quote from: stick d00d on November 09, 2012, 01:21:12 PM
Couple of suggestions:

The top hat shouldn't have the visible 'dip' I guess you'd call it on the top of that hat since you are viewing it from the side/front angle.

As for ideas maybe some revamped SO2 sprites, an elves hat, maybe some type of full helmet... I'll think of some more ideas later.

making the darkest shade lighter should remedy that, ill do some tests later and post up.

It's a splint of wood with feathers on it, the eyes are as complicated as they can be without looking like a pair of cartoon googly eyes, maybe ill post up the different eye tests i did to show you.

I hate the top hat =] I'll come back to trying to nail that one later, it's not very fun.

Thank you, which wizard hat do you prefer? =D I'll be working my way through all of the SO2 hats, or most of them...some at least and as for suggestions it's easier for me if you give me a single specific rather than multiple options , they take quite a bit of time to get right and if i take lists of vague suggestions id be bogged down with sprites all day.

stick d00d

Quote from: MetalMatt on November 09, 2012, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: stick d00d on November 09, 2012, 01:21:12 PM
Couple of suggestions:

making the darkest shade lighter should remedy that, ill do some tests later and post up.

It's a splint of wood with feathers on it, the eyes are as complicated as they can be without looking like a pair of cartoon googly eyes, maybe ill post up the different eye tests i did to show you.

I hate the top hat =] I'll come back to trying to nail that one later, it's not very fun.

Thank you, which wizard hat do you prefer? =D I'll be working my way through all of the SO2 hats, or most of them...some at least and as for suggestions it's easier for me if you give me a single specific rather than multiple options , they take quite a bit of time to get right and if i take lists of vague suggestions id be bogged down with sprites all day.

The second wizard hat is my favorite one. As for the jungle mask were you going for something like the mask from Crash Bandicoot? If so maybe make it have like an angry looking mouth, and make the eyes sort of angled?

As for the revamps, maybe start out with bunny ears? (Black or white) or maybe the Bandit Cover. I'm not sure if Meiun wants to use revamps of SO2's sprites so I'll limit it to that for now.

Lingus

Quote from: MetalMatt on November 08, 2012, 09:08:04 PM

I work from this: positioning the eye line any higher always looked too awkward in my opinion. To have the hats sit comfortably where i assume the eye line is they have to be quite big.

The cowboy hat, looking at it again, i agree should be higher, its far too low

i can move them all up a pixel or two just to show you if you want but i usually spend a few minutes playing with positioning and with the exception of the cowboy hat that was largely edited away from the base the hats are made specifically for their location on the circle. most of them would need to be completely reshaped to fit a different face alignment with higher or lower eyes or a higher or lower position on the head.
I think the top hat and the wizard hat are also too low. It looks like the brims of the hat are sitting right where you are saying the eye is, which leaves no room for a forhead, and that's not how hats are normally worn. For that matter, the skull mask where you have the eyes positioned feels very weird, like he's looking down.

Based on Meiun's avatar, I imagine that helmet to have a visor where the eyes should be. If this is the case, then the eyes are positioned higher than where you're showing them. Now, I may be misinterpretting that, and what I'm calling a "visor" is actually a sort of brim of the helmet and the eyes are below the helmet altogether. If that's the case then I have a very different idea of where eyes should be on a head than either of you.

Since the head has no features, it is really up to each person to place imaginary features onto that head (it's how the brain works). Because of this, everyone is going to have a slightly different idea of where the hats actually sit compared to where they imagine the eyes and other facial features to be. So in other words, depending on how the art work ends up being in the final version of the game, I may end up having to live with seeing all of the stick figures as wearing their dad's hats...

MetalMatt

in response to critiques the front page has been edited:

- New Wizard hat variation, smaller and higher on head.
- New Bandit with smoother shading to look less "wrinkled"
- New Top hat variation, smaller, tilted back and higher on head.
- New cowboy hat variation, Smaller, Higher.
- Edited skull mask, visible eye 1px higher.
- Edited Jungle Mask, added visible face area (missing from original but part of the original design).

QuoteI may end up having to live with seeing all of the stick figures as wearing their dad's hats...

I still dont fully understand what you mean by this, if its a case of scale then they are the size they need to be with the exception of skin tight headgear all of the hats are at least outside the border of the head. I guess I can't explain the reasoning fully for the hats being the size they are so im going to counter your crit with this statement: AHA! but make them too small and would they not look like dad's wearing their kids tacky Halloween costumes? =P

As you said, the eye line is up to interpretation and where i assumed it was has been Ok'd by meiun, which is good enough reason for me to keep working from it, let's hope for your sake they dont use any of my stuff =P then you wont have to suffer

For Mr.Pwnage: That something like what you were thinking?

Lucifer

I think you've fixed what always felt off for the Tophat in SOv2, I enjoy it sitting on the back of the head, looks perfect to me. Second Wiz hat looks the best out of the three, imo, and I love both of the necro hoods!