News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

V3 Sprite Suggestions (10) (Taking requests)

Started by MetalMatt, November 07, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

I think the Top Hat looks much better now thanks to tilting it back slightly.

Also if you get the chance I'd love to see an updated Jester Hat and also a pirate hat in the style of the one Barbossa from Pirate of the Caribbean wears.

Like this:

stick d00d

Are you taking requests for weapons or just hats right now?

MetalMatt

@Matty: Ill get on it asap! should be fun.

@Stick d00d: Only taking requests for hats or anything else that doesn't need animating, i really don't have the free time required for polishing up attack animations.

Turkey

Could you do Solaire's helmet from Dark Souls?

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: MetalMatt on November 09, 2012, 04:48:27 PM

For Mr.Pwnage: That something like what you were thinking?

Holy crap dude. Better than I was envisioning actually. I really like what you did with it and how you took it below the head level and still made it look good. I also think you have the perfect amount of the red markings, it's not excessive and adds to the mysteriousness. Both look really great, I think the black one would be my favorite.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

MetalMatt

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 10, 2012, 09:29:01 AM
Quote from: MetalMatt on November 09, 2012, 04:48:27 PM

For Mr.Pwnage: That something like what you were thinking?

Holy crap dude. Better than I was envisioning actually. I really like what you did with it and how you took it below the head level and still made it look good. I also think you have the perfect amount of the red markings, it's not excessive and adds to the mysteriousness. Both look really great, I think the black one would be my favorite.

Glad you like it pwnage, it was fun to make =D

Matty I haven't forgotten about you! but Turkey I did yours first as it was easier (less organic shape)

Here it is:

Also some SO2 favourites =]

*its a little plain so once a few people pick which they prefer, the large or small, ill play with the shading and colours until it's more fun to look at =]*

Ceroblitz

I'd like to point out some things in your hats so far :p

First off, something shared among all your hats is the coloring style, it is too gradient-ed in color and lacks texture, (aka it uses v2's coloring style too much)

Some of your hats' shape is also a bit odd, taking the wizard hat into example, the hat does not look like it is on the stickman's head properly, because most of the area fitted takes place in the front of the head ( the triangle shape) and not on the head. For the top hat, it looks a bit too flat not only because of the color, but also because of how it is fitted on the stickman's head. I don't think that the hats size are off, and they do have a good shape for most of them, but you should watch where they fit on the stickman's head.

Other than that, I like your skull mask, just gotta work a bit on the color and texture :p

MetalMatt

Quote from: Ceroblitz on November 10, 2012, 11:39:08 AM
I'd like to point out some things in your hats so far :p

First off, something shared among all your hats is the coloring style, it is too gradient-ed in color and lacks texture, (aka it uses v2's coloring style too much)

Some of your hats' shape is also a bit odd, taking the wizard hat into example, the hat does not look like it is on the stickman's head properly, because most of the area fitted takes place in the front of the head ( the triangle shape) and not on the head. For the top hat, it looks a bit too flat not only because of the color, but also because of how it is fitted on the stickman's head. I don't think that the hats size are off, and they do have a good shape for most of them, but you should watch where they fit on the stickman's head.

Other than that, I like your skull mask, just gotta work a bit on the color and texture :p

I know a method for adding more "Texture" to things at this scale but for the large part i work from the ideology that the only textureing i should focus on are things like woodgrain etc. things with a large, obvious texture that massively effects the form of the material.

At this scale you cant even represent some of the simplest of forms because of the limit of the pixel. if it isnt fur, fabric, chainmail or anything else of that sort then any attempt to "texture" the sprite devolves into merely adding value noise, for example metal; in 3D or higher res 2D graphics you'd expect some scratches etc.....i challenge anyone to represent a scratched metal surface in what is largely spots less than a few pixels in area size and representational of a 3D shape not a flat surface. I only use pillow shading when there is no need for any other type, for fabric or cloth i generally crosshatch shade (A la pwnages hood, though it ended up mostly obscured by the red markings) and a lot of the time i just slap pixels down and zoom out repeating the process until it looks right, i tend to follow some basic rules: make it clear, make it effective, keep it simple.

I can "texture" an example up to show you what I mean and maybe play with the wizard hat (again!) based on your crit to satisfy your objections =]. just to be clear: your issue is that the hat appears to rest too far forward of the head giving it a floaty look rather than it actually resting on the 'skull'?

EDIT: To me it just looks noisy, but it probably is just me, I do much prefer the shape of this one though, cheers =]

crozier

I like the 3rd Top Hat, the wiz ones, and the necromancer hoods a lot. As was said by Cero the color schemes in most of them are a little -too- much like SO2's. One thing I think you could improove on is the look of the black outline. On your newest helm, the outline contrasts the light grey a lot, and there is a few unrefined jaggies. Color overall could be better (a few are a tad bland D:). Good effort nonetheless.

MetalMatt

Quote from: crozier on November 11, 2012, 04:05:22 PM
I like the 3rd Top Hat, the wiz ones, and the necromancer hoods a lot. As was said by Cero the color schemes in most of them are a little -too- much like SO2's. One thing I think you could improove on is the look of the black outline. On your newest helm, the outline contrasts the light grey a lot, and there is a few unrefined jaggies. Color overall could be better (a few are a tad bland D:). Good effort nonetheless.

the....bland... coloring style is intentional and I've explained why i think it's justified in other replies,  i still need to upload the "higher detail shading" comparisons but i can see how people want it to be something more than the SO2 style =]

the 'unrefined' bits are again intentional, removing the jagged pixels gives too organic of a shape whereas based on the image i was given the helmet in question has a much sharper, geometric shape.

I dont like black outlines in most cases but based on the current So3 graphics i've seen black outlines is what they are going for, it appears a fairly cemented design decision and if its consistent throughout the style i personally think it works.