News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

you half to say

Started by ARTgames, August 28, 2009, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

this is fancy. I saw this on my twitter from the digg 2000.

its a Wireless Electricity Demo and i think if this stuff works out we have something here.
http://blog.ted.com/2009/08/wireless_electr.php

Mr Pwnage

That is reallllly awesome. Thank you for sharing because that definitely sparks my interest. +karma

EDIT: Just for reference, your topic title should be "You have to say...", not half.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Chaos

Heh.  That's actually an idea I had at one point.  Unlike these guys, though, I couldn't think of a way to actually pull it off.   :o
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

yottabyte

That's cool. I lold at the fact that I was talking to a guy in a tv store and he said that there's no way to power up a tv wireless. Think again, tv guy.  :D

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Lingus

Yea, I read an article on this a ways back. Not sure if it's the same techonology. The guy said there were actually two different ways of doing it. This is definitely going to be a drastic change for technology. The ability to power something wirelessly will be revolutionary I think. Imagine instead of having all sorts of power cables for your home, car, etc etc to recharge and power all of your different devices, you have 1 of these wireless electricity devices per location that work for any and all devices. Of course, that depends on standardization.

ARTgames

I was reading some ones post and they said how are they going to keep people from stealing electric?

Lingus

Actually, I was just talking about this the other night with someone and they brought up a similarly interesting question. How energy efficient is this? What with everyone trying to be energy compliant, will this be up to those standards? I don't really understand how the technology works exactly, but if this magnetic device is always powered on, won't that draw a lot of power? And what's happening when there are no devices using it? Does it still draw power or no? Is there a lot of energy bleed even with no devices around? I'm sure they'll end up answering all those questions for everyone.

ARTgames

All im hoping is like anything else a competitor comes out that battles it trying to come up with better technology. This is early stage stuff and it hope it get better.

Lingus

There's 2 ways to go with that though. A competitor means better prices and/or better product, which is good for the consumer. It also means proprietary devices... which is bad for consumers. Basically, if you have one or more companies that provide this product, they're going to make it so their devices only work with their own devices. Depending on who is putting the technology in the individual devices, the device manufacturer or the wireless electricity manufacturer, this could potentially mean you would need more than one of these wireless electricity devices to power all of your devices. Your cell phone company might have partnered with one wireless electronic company wheras your TV manufacturer partnered with another. In this scenario the consumer actually loses.

ARTgames

That is a whole different subject. But i did take that into consideration when i made my post and came to the conclusion that something like this is worth more than the downfall of what your are saying IMO.

Lingus

Well, the way I see it is that this technology has a clear benefit. It doesn't really require competition for a company to want to develop it fully. So no matter what, we're going to get an awesome new technology. With that said, competition is really only going to be bad for the consumer. It will be like the HD/Blu Ray war. It will take months or years for a winner to emerge and for the technology to be standardized. Worst case scenario, they never standardize and there's always multiple choices and multiple requirements. Which really defeats the benefits of this technology. The way I see it, the benefit is not having to have multiple different cables for every single device you own. With competition, it's a potential possibility that you will need multiple wireless electricity devices anyways...

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on August 31, 2009, 06:16:45 PM
Well, the way I see it is that this technology has a clear benefit. It doesn't really require competition for a company to want to develop it fully. So no matter what, we're going to get an awesome new technology. With that said, competition is really only going to be bad for the consumer. It will be like the HD/Blu Ray war. It will take months or years for a winner to emerge and for the technology to be standardized. Worst case scenario, they never standardize and there's always multiple choices and multiple requirements. Which really defeats the benefits of this technology. The way I see it, the benefit is not having to have multiple different cables for every single device you own. With competition, it's a potential possibility that you will need multiple wireless electricity devices anyways...

Lingus i think no competition means monopoly (which is even worse than what your saying IMO) unless regulated under the government. And these people want to make a business out of it.

what i would like to say im unable to wright it down do to that my writing skills suck. i will try to follow up with a youtube video if you dont mind.

But the summery of it would be that i do belave competition is the best way to do. This is all IMO.

Just to leave off this post Lingus how do you think this technology should be developed? just wondering. i what to have a open mide and i want to see other ways this could be done other than competition.

Meiun

I was talking to my dad about this, who is an engineer. And apparently (as I think the guy in the video at least briefly mentions), the basic concept behind this has been around for quite some time and is already commonly used to a much lesser extent in some engines and stuff apparently. My dad was also saying how sometimes people with powerlines running over their houses would put big coils in their attics to leach free electricity off the power company haha. Basically I guess this is just increasing the range and effectiveness to be usable in all sorts of stuff. Either way wireless electricity would definitely be super awesome.

Lingus

Well, to answer your question, they're already developing it. They already have a working model... I believe they actually have more than one (based on the article I read). They have 2 completely different, working methods of creating wireless electricity. So I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. You're worried about them developing this technology, but they already did. Do you mean making it better? As in, smaller devices with longer range and better efficiency? I guess that's a valid reason for competition. But that's always going to be the case no matter what.

The thing about it is that there's going to be competition. Where that competition is is the question. Is it two competing technologies, or multiple companies competing to sell the same technology? The former is bad for consumers because until one wins out you might be wasting money on the losing side (as some people did when they bought HDDVD products). The latter is good for consumers, because there is 1 standardized technology, but the prices will be lower because multiple companies are competing. That's the model of competition I would like to see, not the first one.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on August 31, 2009, 08:06:42 PM
The latter is good for consumers, because there is 1 standardized technology, but the prices will be lower because multiple companies are competing. That's the model of competition I would like to see, not the first one.

oh well there you go. me also :D

Quotesometimes people with powerlines running over their houses would put big coils in their attics to leach free electricity off the power company haha

tell more... :P