News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

S.O. on Mac

Started by scsox, January 05, 2014, 05:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsox

Hey guys,

I've recently upgraded to a mac for school... I know, I'm a terrible person. Anyway, changing from PC to Mac has brought some hardships that include not being able to play S.O. I was curious if anyone had any idea on how I could run the windows based program on here.

I'm not really interested in running bootcamp or anything. I've been using a program called "winebox" which uses apple's X11 software to run the program. The problem is that it causes so much lag that it makes the game unplayable.

Just looking for some friendly advice.  :)

ToxicDuck

It should of ran fine with wine, mind telling me the specifications of the computer?

If we can't get wine to work with s.o, then the only thing we can do is either use bootcamp or a program like vmware.

scsox

Quote from: ToxicDuck on January 05, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
It should of ran fine with wine, mind telling me the specifications of the computer?

If we can't get wine to work with s.o, then the only thing we can do is either use bootcamp or a program like vmware.

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Mem: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'm probably going to up my memory to 8. But any suggestions would be helpful!

Also, when I log on I get around 200 ping, which is probably fine, but only about 15 FPS.

Jmac

Try using Bootcamp if you can get a legit Windows license through your school. Works like a charm for other games as well. :)

ToxicDuck

Quote from: scsox on January 05, 2014, 06:38:23 PM

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Also, when I log on I get around 200 ping, which is probably fine, but only about 15 FPS.

Your processor and amount of ram should be fine for this task. I'm honestly not sure why it's not running good with wine. As I said before I would try bootcamp/vmware and see if s.o runs well. I've never used bootcamp before so I can't give much info on that, but I've been using vmware for 3 years now, if you do use vmware I'd suggest using windows xp so you won't have to give it as much ram. I found giving vmware with windows xp 1-1.5gb of ram and 2 cores works best. You could probably give it less though.

scsox

Quote from: ToxicDuck on January 06, 2014, 12:12:31 AM

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Your processor and amount of ram should be fine for this task. I'm honestly not sure why it's not running good with wine. As I said before I would try bootcamp/vmware and see if s.o runs well. I've never used bootcamp before so I can't give much info on that, but I've been using vmware for 3 years now, if you do use vmware I'd suggest using windows xp so you won't have to give it as much ram. I found giving vmware with windows xp 1-1.5gb of ram and 2 cores works best. You could probably give it less though.

So I found the Vmware software. I can get a trial version ( i'll buy if it works out ), but do I also have to purchase windows?
If I do end up having to purchase windows, where would you suggest the best place to get a product key?

Thanks

ToxicDuck

Quote from: scsox on January 06, 2014, 06:41:39 PM

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

So I found the Vmware software. I can get a trial version ( i'll buy if it works out ), but do I also have to purchase windows?
If I do end up having to purchase windows, where would you suggest the best place to get a product key?

Thanks

Sucks that you'll have to buy the vmware software, they have a 100% free one avaliable called "Vmware player" but it only supports windows and linux. The one you'll have have to use as I'm sure you're already aware is "Vmware fusion". As for where to buy, just search for "Buy windows XP" and read reviews on sites before you purchase to make sure they are legitimate. I normally buy my OS's from ebay just because I can normally get them pretty cheap. In all honestly what I would do if I were you would be to torrent windows xp, just to make sure it works first because if it doesn't work then you just wasted money on something that is useless to you.

scsox

Quote from: ToxicDuck on January 06, 2014, 07:19:50 PM
Quote from: scsox on January 06, 2014, 06:41:39 PM

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Thanks

Sucks that you'll have to buy the vmware software, they have a 100% free one avaliable called "Vmware player" but it only supports windows and linux. The one you'll have have to use as I'm sure you're already aware is "Vmware fusion". As for where to buy, just search for "Buy windows XP" and read reviews on sites before you purchase to make sure they are legitimate. I normally buy my OS's from ebay just because I can normally get them pretty cheap. In all honestly what I would do if I were you would be to torrent windows xp, just to make sure it works first because if it doesn't work then you just wasted money on something that is useless to you.

So I found a decent XP torrent and I'm just now downloading a trial version of vmware fusion. Just curious, how do I allocate certain amounts of ram and cores to windows xp? Is that done within the vmware program or some other setting?

thanks a billion

ToxicDuck

[/quote]

So I found a decent XP torrent and I'm just now downloading a trial version of vmware fusion. Just curious, how do I allocate certain amounts of ram and cores to windows xp? Is that done within the vmware program or some other setting?

thanks a billion
[/quote]

It's in the program, you'll see a place to change the settings when you're actually setting up the virtual machine, or you can edit the settings after it's all set up.