News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Music

Started by Pat, October 03, 2009, 07:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogdor

Quote from: Scotty on October 03, 2009, 05:36:38 PM
I think the reason I wasn't so attracted to their earlier albums (Newer one is actually good), is that it was just a mix of un-produced and "all over the place" with their songs, it was kinda hard to get them to click.  Once the screeching singing moved more towards a growl, it seems as though they got their act together.  The third video above is off of their latest album.  THe other reason why I think I like them is because they have almost a sort of neo-classical guitar to it.  I dunno, take from it what you will.

You're right about Kalmah's guitars. They do deviate slightly from the norm of metal, but it's not a bad thing at all. Personally I love how the lead stands out instead of periodically helping the backup guitar with the chugging or other riffs. Arch Enemy also has a good sound to it, but I was surprised when the lead singer that walked out was a girl. I thought "God, all she's gonna do is screech through the whole song", but she pulled off the growls superbly! I also loved the solo about 2/3 of the way in with both of the guitarists (By the way, is the singer in your avatar the vocalist in Arch Enemy?)

Oh, and get yourself a Last.fm profile Trogdor, it's free, and it's everything I would want from a social network.  I'm a paid subscriber because it's cheap and I get a lot of extra nifty little features, but you don't have to pay the cheap 2 or 3 clams a month to subscribe if you don't want to.

I think I just might have to do that. I'll check it out in a bit.

@LeGuy:
Quote from: LeGuy on October 03, 2009, 06:05:18 PM
And Weird Al Yankovic. I love Weird Al. Say what you want about him, (and he does have some bad songs) but you have to admit he's a very talented musician and can turn almost anything into a parody.

I have like 6-7 CDs of him from my childhood. His parodies are hilarious, eventhough I haven't listened to him in a couple of years.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Pat

Quote from: Scotty on October 03, 2009, 01:13:16 PM
Quote from: Trogdor on October 03, 2009, 12:43:42 PM
2. Rammstein
Definitely up there as one of my favorite bands. Awesome lyrics delivered by an awesome vocalist, Till Lindemann. Focused on controversial/taboo topics in their songs, such as Keine Lust, Zwitter, and Mein Teil.
Do any of those speak English in their songs?  I don't necessarily mean "Well we did Du Hast in German, and now we're going to make an English Translation of it" or anything like that, but do any of them actually produce English spoken music?
Their song Final Fantasy X/Underworld was in English
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Scotty

Quote from: Trogdor on October 03, 2009, 06:23:05 PM
I think the reason I wasn't so attracted to their earlier albums (Newer one is actually good), is that it was just a mix of un-produced and "all over the place" with their songs, it was kinda hard to get them to click.  Once the screeching singing moved more towards a growl, it seems as though they got their act together.  The third video above is off of their latest album.  THe other reason why I think I like them is because they have almost a sort of neo-classical guitar to it.  I dunno, take from it what you will.

You're right about Kalmah's guitars. They do deviate slightly from the norm of metal, but it's not a bad thing at all. Personally I love how the lead stands out instead of periodically helping the backup guitar with the chugging or other riffs. Arch Enemy also has a good sound to it, but I was surprised when the lead singer that walked out was a girl. I thought "God, all she's gonna do is screech through the whole song", but she pulled off the growls superbly! I also loved the solo about 2/3 of the way in with both of the guitarists (By the way, is the singer in your avatar the vocalist in Arch Enemy?)

Yes, that's Angela from Arch Enemy.  To be quite frank, she is (at least in my opinion) one of the most attractive un-attractive women in the world.  She's attractive in the sense that she can scream like non-other while leaving you contemplating the question of, "Will she bite my arm off?" whilst being not the most physically attractive woman in the world.  Much like Nightwish's old singer.  Not the most attractive, but talent makes up (and exceeds) for the lack of physical beauty.

Kalmah's guitarists without a doubt make the band.  Maybe not the technicality (I picked up the intro to Hades in one night), but just the sheer theme of their music makes up the band's umph.  I like their sound a lot!

Arch Enemy released a new album in Europe a couple of days ago with re-recordings of their previous albums without Angela on vocals, now with her on vocals.  Might I recommend checking out the song "Pilgrims" with her on vocals, probably my favorite of the new album thus far, even though I haven't been able to listen through and critique the album thoroughly as of right now.  In the mean time, they also have a live performance recorded out of Japan and titled it "Tyrants of the rising sun."  A great recording, and as one would expect with melodic death metal, it's twice as fast, twice as powerful to watch, and twice as "Oh dear God I want that!"  Should look into it, video clips are plastered all over youtube of it!

JoEL

Favorite Bands:
The All-American Rejects
Bless the Fall
Blink 182
Bullet For My Valentine
Disturbed
Dragon Force
Escape the Fate
Hopes Dies Last
Linkin Park
Metallica
Nickelback
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Slipknot
Placebo

Titan

Escape the fate
All that remains
Owl city
System of a down
Strong-bad
Flo-bots
Livin' in a lonely world.

Lingus

Quote from: Pat on October 03, 2009, 07:57:39 AM
5. Foo Fighters:
I like their style of rock. It's sort of like Nickleback except its good. Everlong is their best song, not opinion, FACT.
While I do agree that Everlong is a great song, you need to listen to their new song Wheels. It's my new favorite song at this point. And LOL @ comparing them to "Nickleback except its good". I'm not sure how I feel about that (I don't like Nickelback). I personally think their earlier stuff sounds a lot like Nirvana (which makes sense considering Dave Grohl was the drummer for Nirvana). But, Wheels for instance reminds me very much of Tom Petty. Which is a good thing.

As for what kind of music I like. Mostly Jazz and Blues. More modern stuff would be a bit of alternative and some indy.

Quote from: LeGuy on October 03, 2009, 06:05:18 PM
I'm probably the only person in this entire forum that likes Jazz.
Nope. I love Jazz. I actually found a station on the radio that plays some pretty good stuff. Pandora also has a good jazz station. What sort of jazz do you like? I'm into the typical Miles/Coltrain type.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Radiohead... they're awesome. Btw, anyone else mistake Muse for Radiohead for a while? As a consequence, I also like Muse.

Mr Pwnage

Top 5:
Linkin Park
Metallica
Bullet for my Valentine
Three Days Grace
Nickelback

*Three Days Grace is probably my favorite out of these.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

yottabyte

I don't listen to any specific groups or artists. I just listen to songs I like. I usually make a playlist every month with good songs. They're like 4-7 hours each.
I have a lot of songs from groups that you guys posted at my current playlist.

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: yottabyte on October 10, 2009, 02:17:31 PM
I don't listen to any specific groups or artists. I just listen to songs I like. I usually make a playlist every month with good songs. They're like 4-7 hours each.
I have songs a lot of from groups that you guys posted at my current playlist.
Same here. Matter of fact I can't even put what I was going to say in better words ;)

Pat

Wow thanks Lingus, Wheels is an excellent song! Also "My Hero" from them is a fantastic song.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

foG

I ♥ minimal, electro and hardstyle.

There're some awesome DJs, but I'm not gonna list em cuz you guys don't know em anyway. :]

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

Scotty

Might I demonstrate the awesomeness of Arch Enemy:

"Blood On Your Hands"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33U3bGZOcX8

"Nemesis"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AztOFw0_iY

"Vultures"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7SRkkrc80

All those videos are off of their live performance in Japan entitled: "Tyrants of the Rising Sun."  I've seen In Flames play perfect live, I just got back from watching Children Of Bodom play live (while drunk), and I have to say that after watching this video, Arch Enemy's live performance is on par with both of those bands combined!  Something about Angela screaming just gets me all worked up watching it!  ;)

foG

Holy hell that singer is scary..

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

Scotty

Quote from: foG on October 11, 2009, 09:52:20 AM
Holy hell that singer is scary..

And that's why I want her.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: foG on October 11, 2009, 06:31:53 AM
I ♥ minimal, electro and hardstyle.

There're some awesome DJs, but I'm not gonna list em cuz you guys don't know em anyway. :]
Pfft, I love my hardstyle: Blutonium Boy, Headhunterz, Wildstylez, Showtek. Lulz, I'd know em >.> go ahead and list them :]