News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

No More Room in Hell (Hl2 mod) -Long read ahead-

Started by DarkBlade325, October 14, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkBlade325

Normally I take shits on zombie mods off of HL2. They're all just too bland to me even the famous ones like Zombie Panic. Seems like if I am going to play a zombie game, it would be Left 4 Dead. However all these zombie games have something in common.

I want you to picture a zombie breakout for a second. Just, a split second. Which one of these choices would happen?

A. You would instantly pick up a gun and blast the (un)living shit out of everything that came your way while laughing and shitting danger.

B. You would shit your pants, running away while weakly holding a gun missing 90% of each shot fired, eventually ending up in a dark room hiding hoping that the zombies wouldn't find you.

As much as a pussy as it would make me, my guess is that B would happen. See, let's take L4D for example. In that game just about every weapon is as accurate as a sniper rifle except for the shotgun, and there's not even recoil when firing. The only way one would be that good with a gun is if he/she had, well, experience actually firing a gun. If a normal person would to pick up a shotgun and fire a shot, my guess is that he would fall flat on his ass. Now I could be wrong, I have never handled a gun that was not a damn BB gun. But this is just my guess.

Point I'm trying to get across is that if these games are supposed to be tense and such, they really should make it feel like such. Running around shooting everything in sight is NOT a survival horror. That is an action horror. Survival horror is running away from the potential threat following you, trying your best to survive until you can get somewhere safe. Silent Hill is a perfect example of this, and I havn't seen many survival horror mods to depict this style.

Which leads me to No More Room in Hell. Now I am grasping at air when it comes to my excitement for this mod mainly because of all the damn weapons that are being made. I mean that's not a bad thing, but I hope this mod doesn't turn into another zombie shooter like every other mod.. But hey I'm willing to give it a chance. One thing I really like about this one is that instead of being able to die, every time you're attacked by a zombie you have a chance of becoming infected. If you do become infected, after a while of progress your character would begin to cough, your vision would chance, and sooner or later you would kill over and a NPC would take control of you, now as a zombie as he tries to eat your team mates. That.. Sounds !@#$ing awesome. Not to mention you can shoot your dipshit team mate who decided to get infected so he doesn't end up turning and taking a bite out of your ass.

I want to go on, but I think this is long enough. To put it short: Hope this turns out to be the zombie mod I've been looking for, and not just another zombie shooter.

Home Page: http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/

Mr Pwnage

That's all well and good from a cinematic prospective...but when you think video games...how pissed would be be if your gun was inaccurate as shit and you could barely kill any zombies, and were always running and hiding into dark areas? I just don't think gameplay would sell off in a way to make it enjoyable enough to appeal to people. It almost sounds like your wanting a realistic simulation of an unrealistic event (a zombie apocalypse). Though, if your really into survival horror...I know a very cool series for it. Look up "Penumbra". I think it is exactly what your looking for. It is somewhat of an older game...it doesn't look like it though. It has a really cool storyline, all the items and whatnot giving to you are for survival...you don't even have a gun. I could go on, but I am sure if you play it you will have found the game your looking for. Hell, I even got it (legally) for free on my old computer. I think if you look hard enough you can find a download for it.

EDIT: Here is the official site if your interested: http://www.penumbragame.com/
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 15, 2009, 12:20:51 AM
That's all well and good from a cinematic prospective...but when you think video games...how pissed would be be if your gun was inaccurate as shit and you could barely kill any zombies, and were always running and hiding into dark areas? I just don't think gameplay would sell off in a way to make it enjoyable enough to appeal to people. It almost sounds like your wanting a realistic simulation of an unrealistic event (a zombie apocalypse). Though, if your really into survival horror...I know a very cool series for it. Look up "Penumbra". I think it is exactly what your looking for. It is somewhat of an older game...it doesn't look like it though. It has a really cool storyline, all the items and whatnot giving to you are for survival...you don't even have a gun. I could go on, but I am sure if you play it you will have found the game your looking for. Hell, I even got it (legally) for free on my old computer. I think if you look hard enough you can find a download for it.

I guess it just depends on your taste when it comes to this sorta thing. I'm not saying to ALWAYS run away, that would be boring as shit. But it needs to feel challenging, but not forced. Also I have heard and seen gameplay of Penumbra. However I never managed to get my hands on it. I know it's on Steam, but I already have something else in mind to buy. Still it looked pretty damn !@#$ed up at times, real creepy. Specially that talking virus thing in one of the episodes..

Pat

B is zombie panic for me :/ I always end up hiding on my own with no weapons behind a dumpster hoping no one finds me.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Pat on October 15, 2009, 12:28:53 AM
B is zombie panic for me :/ I always end up hiding on my own with no weapons behind a dumpster hoping no one finds me.

It was kinda half & half with me. Yeah me and the team would usually just find a place to hide and wait for the zombies to pour in then just shoot them dead. But I kept repeating this alot and got bored of the game pretty quickly.

Edit: Who the hell knows maybe I'm just into this type of game style purely for the tension and not the shoot to kill aspect. Not to mention (referring back to No More Room in Hell) I would get to blast the head off of a team mate who got infected (yeah I know I just contradicted myself from my last sentience).

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on October 15, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 15, 2009, 12:20:51 AM

I guess it just depends on your taste when it comes to this sorta thing. I'm not saying to ALWAYS run away, that would be boring as shit. But it needs to feel challenging, but not forced. Also I have heard and seen game play of Penumbra. However I never managed to get my hands on it. I know it's on Steam, but I already have something else in mind to buy. Still it looked pretty damn !@#$ed up at times, real creepy. Specially that talking virus thing in one of the episodes..
When I wrote that I was actually referring to the very first one in the series...I never finished it...but it had a shitload of flying leaches. Really creepy stuff....but yeah...I don't know about any of the Penumbras in the series.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Torch

Like Mr. Pwnage said, it's a video game. Video games are made to be fun, not realistic. That's why we have video games; so we can do things we can't do in real life.

ARTgames

DarkBlade325 this looks really fancy. Thank you for pointing this out. Im going to try it out.

DarkBlade325

Quite welcomed ART. Also this is the first zombie game Ive seen that is said to have zombie children. That's both cruel and awesome.