News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

The Realm Online

Started by Scotty, October 18, 2009, 05:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Figured since I got several good members of this community to play the game with me, I'd brag about it.  We've thrown up pics in other topics elsewhere regarding this game, so I figure we'll do it all over again!  Jake, Lucifer, Chaos, give me a hand here!

Mr Pwnage

Chaos showed me this many moons ago...though I was somewhat discouraged when I had to pay for a game that while looked graphically unique, looked very unpromising for a pay-to-play game. I'm curious though...how does movement work in that game? Is it point and click err...do you even see your character moving? The whole camera angle that game runs from confuses me.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Scotty

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 18, 2009, 12:15:28 PM
Chaos showed me this many moons ago...though I was somewhat discouraged when I had to pay for a game that while looked graphically unique, looked very unpromising for a pay-to-play game. I'm curious though...how does movement work in that game? Is it point and click err...do you even see your character moving? The whole camera angle that game runs from confuses me.

It is pay to play (5 bucks a month give or take a penny), because it has always been pay to play, and that's the only way Norseman Games can afford to host the servers.  There aren't many players in the game when compared to modern MMO's obviously, but it is by far the most dedicated and friendly group of people.  Any of us could sit in the "Game Help" channel and ask if someone could make us a "Belt Of Carrying" and I can guarantee someone will take the time to stop what they are doing and make one, most of them don't even ask for anything in return.

Perfect example, I left my game running one night by accident, and I keeled over because I didn't eat or drink anything, so my character starved and died.  When I died, I dropped something like 60k gold that I didn't even really notice was gone, I thought I spent it all the night before helping Lucifer out.  Well this other player tells me that he/she picked up my gold.  I asked how much, she said, "Ohh.. Maybe 40k, maybe 60k, I don't remember, but I gave you 500k!"

You can get the 7-day free trial with no obligation, and give it a shot.  To answer your question about movement, you move up towards the vanishing point, down, left, and right between what they refer to as different "rooms".  When you are in these rooms, you can get into combat, where a different screen comes up, and you are restricted to the confines of this screen until the battle is completed or someone flees.  It is very old, very unique, and you won't ever see another MMO quite like this one.

EDIT: OH!  One last thing, THANK GOD it is pay to play!  First off, it's little known, so no one knows about it, including little immature brats that would ruin the community (much like how they try to do the same for Stick Online's), on top of the fact that they would need to get Mommy and Daddy's credit card number, which while only a deterrent for these little shits, they still won't play, it's just too simple for all these new high-tech kids that mothers are spitting out these days!  Thank God it is pay to play!

Lucifer

Ooh, good idea, the more the merrier! I honestly like the 5$ a month fee, it keeps out all of the 12 year old douchebags. (Not that I'm even paying, <3 Scotty =D) Take the stick online donor server for example, I'd say theres a significant lack of idiots nowadays. The fee, and the fact that it's a pretty dang old game, makes the community the complete opposite of what you find in MMORPGs nowadays. (WoW, as an example.) The gameplay itself is actually very fun and rewarding, so don't judge it by the pictures. It really depends per person, some people love it, some people get bored easily by it.

Scotty

Quote from: Lucifer on October 18, 2009, 04:09:04 PM
Ooh, good idea, the more the merrier! I honestly like the 5$ a month fee, it keeps out all of the 12 year old douchebags. (Not that I'm even paying, <3 Scotty =D) Take the stick online donor server for example, I'd say theres a significant lack of idiots nowadays. The fee, and the fact that it's a pretty dang old game, makes the community the complete opposite of what you find in MMORPGs nowadays. (WoW, as an example.) The gameplay itself is actually very fun and rewarding, so don't judge the game by the pictures. It really depends per person, some people love it, some people get bored easily by it.

True True!  I love how people help out in the game without even expecting something back!  I GUARANTEE (10 fold in my confidence with the following words), that if you take "The Realm Online" community, wipe it entirely, and replace it with every S@#$-Knuckle from this community, you wouldn't feel even remotely close to welcome and the community would fall apart, %1000 percent guaranteed!

Mr Pwnage

Well...I'd be willing to try it out. Maybe you could get chaos or Lucifer to hit me up on msn next time your all going on. Also do you guys use ventrillo when you play? Cause
I think that would help out a lot.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Chaos

Yes, we do use vent.

Also, here's a video I made to give people an idea of how game-play works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSMC06qVbQ
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Cactuscat222

The graphics remind me of a cross between Dragon's Lair and King's Quest/Quest for Glory. I'll have to give this a try sometime.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Scotty

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on October 18, 2009, 07:50:32 PM
King's Quest/Quest for Glory.
Funny you should mention those two classics, as this game was originally developed under Sierra games.  It's owned by a small company now that is based out of a city an hour and a half south of where I grew up, but it is still being maintained (and rarely further developed).

Mr Pwnage

Unfortunately I am unable to join in your reindeer games because I don't own a credit card...and apparently you need one to try the free trial. It look's cool though, have fun.