News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

A day to express our gratitude for everything we take for granted.

Started by Scotty, November 26, 2009, 06:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystery

Amen, Scotty.

Quote from: Torch on November 26, 2009, 08:00:54 AM
Sounds like a pretty lame holiday to me. Canadian Thanksgiving is right before Halloween and we just get drunk and eat turkey with our families.
If it's such a lame holiday, then why does everyone copy it, Canada included?  ;)

I personally love Thanksgiving, not only because of all the new delicious, exotic foods(at least my family) I get to try as well as the wholesome turkey-related staples, but the loving and appreciation for what you have and being eternally grateful for it. True, eating until you gain 5 pounds and watching the game is fun. But the spirit of the holiday never fails to warn me up inside, and I'm so glad for everything I have and my life being the way it is. People nowadays are too detached from that feeling and they just watch the game the whole time, eat until they barf, and get drunk. Well, not all of them thankfully.  :D A large amount aren't.(or they do this, but do get the gist of Thanksgiving)
Quote from: Lucifer on November 26, 2009, 10:39:53 AM
Be thankful to all those Indians we killed to get this land!

Happy Indian slaughtering day!
Hey, now. The pilgrims established their settlements peacefully along with the help of the Indians, without killing many, if any at all. It was everyone ELSE'S fault who came after.  :P I just knew you'd say something like that.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Torch

@Mystery: Canada was established before America. You guys more likely than not copied us. The holiday is only lame when you base it around a ridiculous message like giving thanks for things that you likely earned yourself.

Jake

Quote from: Torch on November 26, 2009, 04:32:23 PM
@Mystery: Canada was established before America. You guys more likely than not copied us. The holiday is only lame when you base it around a ridiculous message like giving thanks for things that you likely earned yourself.
The only reason you can earn those things is because the people before you made that possible.

Are you not thankful that somebody invented the computer so we can sit on our asses and talk to each right now?
Are you not thankful that somebody invented the phone that you use? The chair that you sit on?

If you can't be thankful for anything else, be thankful that your parents had your selfish ass.

Scotty

Well put Jake, and here's your daily history lesson on why this whole argument of which came first is completely irrelevant, and childish:

QuoteThanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day, presently celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November, has been an annual tradition in the United States since 1863. It did not become a federal holiday until 1941. Thanksgiving was historically a religious observation to give thanks to God, but is also celebrated as a secular holiday.[1]
The first Thanksgiving was celebrated to give thanks to God for helping the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony survive the brutal winter.[2] The first Thanksgiving feast lasted three days providing enough food for 53 pilgrims and 90 Indians.[3] The feast consisted of fowl, venison, fish, lobster, clams, berries, fruit, pumpkin, and squash. However, the traditional Thanksgiving menu often features turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

QuoteThanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day (Canadian French: Jour de l'Action de gr?ce), occurring on the second Monday in October, is an annual Canadian holiday to give thanks at the close of the harvest season. Although the original act of Parliament references God and the holiday is celebrated in churches, the holiday is also celebrated in a secular manner.

So you're arguing that your holiday is at all relevant to ours?  The only similarity is that both holidays started as a day to give thanks to God.  Anything past that is completely different.  Also, I find it rather selfish or ungrateful for someone to sit there, and say "I've earned everything in my life, so I am not thankful for any of it!"  You have completely missed the point of what this means.  Grow up.

Torch

Quote from: Scotty on November 26, 2009, 04:42:47 PM
Well put Jake, and here's your daily history lesson on why this whole argument of which came first is completely irrelevant, and childish:

QuoteThanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day, presently celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November, has been an annual tradition in the United States since 1863. It did not become a federal holiday until 1941. Thanksgiving was historically a religious observation to give thanks to God, but is also celebrated as a secular holiday.[1]
The first Thanksgiving was celebrated to give thanks to God for helping the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony survive the brutal winter.[2] The first Thanksgiving feast lasted three days providing enough food for 53 pilgrims and 90 Indians.[3] The feast consisted of fowl, venison, fish, lobster, clams, berries, fruit, pumpkin, and squash. However, the traditional Thanksgiving menu often features turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

QuoteThanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day (Canadian French: Jour de l'Action de gr?ce), occurring on the second Monday in October, is an annual Canadian holiday to give thanks at the close of the harvest season. Although the original act of Parliament references God and the holiday is celebrated in churches, the holiday is also celebrated in a secular manner.

So you're arguing that your holiday is at all relevant to ours?  The only similarity is that both holidays started as a day to give thanks to God.  Anything past that is completely different.  Also, I find it rather selfish or ungrateful for someone to sit there, and say "I've earned everything in my life, so I am not thankful for any of it!"  You have completely missed the point of what this means.  Grow up.
I didn't say I earned everything in my life, though much of what people thank god for, they have earned themselves. I prefer knowing that I have accomplished or obtained something, rather than giving credit to god.

Also, the original meaning for Canadian Thanksgiving is no longer relevant and has been changed to what the American meaning is.

@Jake: Innovations aren't created for my benefit, even if they do benefit me. I don't feel like it's necessary to give thanks to innovators unless they innovation was created for my benefit.

stick d00d

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I love this holiday because I get to see most of my family and just have a good time, while eating some great food :D Thanksgiving and Christmas are definitely my favorite holidays. Hope you all had a nice day!

EpicPhailure

Anyway, so what're you guys having for your Thanksgiving meal, or at least dinner?

I had turkey roasted with some type of herb, storebought stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, bitesized orange chicken, salad, bread, and sparkling cider.

stick d00d

The usual. Turkey, stuffing, mashed/sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, PIE, and some other stuff. Me and my family went to a Thanksgiving buffet this year, but we normally have our meal at home.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Torch on November 26, 2009, 05:12:54 PM
Quote from: Scotty on November 26, 2009, 04:42:47 PM

I didn't say I earned everything in my life, though much of what people thank god for, they have earned themselves. I prefer knowing that I have accomplished or obtained something, rather than giving credit to god.

Also, the original meaning for Canadian Thanksgiving is no longer relevant and has been changed to what the American meaning is.

@Jake: Innovations aren't created for my benefit, even if they do benefit me. I don't feel like it's necessary to give thanks to innovators unless they innovation was created for my benefit.

Wow - for some time there, I didn't think you were a pompous jerk.

The American version isn't solely for thanking God... in fact, Scotty NEVER ONCE mentioned God in his original post. He just said being grateful for the things you have.

Torch, the personal computer was invented for YOUR benefit. I can guarantee most of the modern conveniences you have now were made for helping better people as a whole. To say you don't need to give credit to people who did things for you, even if they didn't do it directly for you is just... so amazingly selfish. "I'm not going to thank the store who sold me food, or the developers who made an amazing game, etc etc, because they didn't make it for ME."

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Torch

@Cactuscat: I really don't feel like quoting that whole thing.

Anyway, I thank those who perform services for me because it's polite and people appreciate it. I have no problem thanking someone to make them feel good. Do I really feel thankful for what they've done? No. It's their job, they do it for money. The plumber didn't unclog my sink pipes because he wanted me to have a functioning sink, he did it for money. I thank them anyway because people like to be thanked.

"Thanksgiving was historically a religious observation to give thanks to God" (Scotty's post)

I don't think it's worthwhile to thank a god for something that had nothing to do with a god. People go to the store and buy a turkey and at dinner, say something like "I thank god for this delicious turkey". Clearly god was not the one who worked for the money and made the trip to go to the store and buy the turkey. You may have guessed from my post that I'm atheist and therefor, have a biased opinion on this, but isn't it a bit ridiculous to give thanks to god for things that had nothing to do with god?

Innovators do not consider how their actions will benefit me in the long run. Whether their actions benefit me or not (in my mind) is irrelevant.

Also, if you aren't giving your thanks to god, who are you giving your thanks to?

crozier

Quote from: Torch on November 26, 2009, 09:43:12 PM
I don't think it's worthwhile to thank a god for something that had nothing to do with a god. People go to the store and buy a turkey and at dinner, say something like "I thank god for this delicious turkey". Clearly god was not the one who worked for the money and made the trip to go to the store and buy the turkey.
I agree with torch on this.

Not the rest however.

Cactuscat222

Anyway, I thank those who perform services for me because it's polite and people appreciate it. I have no problem thanking someone to make them feel good. Do I really feel thankful for what they've done? No. It's their job, they do it for money. The plumber didn't unclog my sink pipes because he wanted me to have a functioning sink, he did it for money. I thank them anyway because people like to be thanked.

"Thanksgiving was historically a religious observation to give thanks to God" (Scotty's post)

I don't think it's worthwhile to thank a god for something that had nothing to do with a god. People go to the store and buy a turkey and at dinner, say something like "I thank god for this delicious turkey". Clearly god was not the one who worked for the money and made the trip to go to the store and buy the turkey. You may have guessed from my post that I'm atheist and therefor, have a biased opinion on this, but isn't it a bit ridiculous to give thanks to god for things that had nothing to do with god?

Innovators do not consider how their actions will benefit me in the long run. Whether their actions benefit me or not (in my mind) is irrelevant.

Also, if you aren't giving your thanks to god, who are you giving your thanks to?

Yeah, and you are pretty misinformed then. We thank God because he GAVE us that turkey - if not for him, we wouldn't have life, nor that turkey that we get to enjoy on our table. God had a huge amount to do with that turkey ending up on that table. That is the concept.

And contrary to popular belief, as greedy, stupid and ignorant as people are, most people don't do the jobs they do solely for money. People enjoy hearing thanks, because they provided a service that they knew you needed, and they knew it would help you.

I'll bring up an extreme here, but "innovators do not consider how their actions will benefit me in the long run"? What are you trying to say? I don't even get it. What they have done has helped benefit you, so you should at the very least offer some sort of gratitude! I can't fathom your mindset where you think you are entitled to these things, without so much as a nod of the head to offer some form of acknowledgment that these people have helped you!

You are free to all of your beliefs... but I just think that is really disrespectful on so many levels...

Happy Thanksgiving, I haven't mentioned that in my previous posts, so sorry for me causing a ruckus, I just feel our tradition needs to be honored and defended.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

NotoriousM4^

Way to rape such a sweet and innocent topic.
-rep @Torch.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jake

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 26, 2009, 09:59:08 PM

Yeah, and you are pretty misinformed then. We thank God because he GAVE us that turkey - if not for him, we wouldn't have life, nor that turkey that we get to enjoy on our table. God had a huge amount to do with that turkey ending up on that table. That is the concept.

And contrary to popular belief, as greedy, stupid and ignorant as people are, most people don't do the jobs they do solely for money. People enjoy hearing thanks, because they provided a service that they knew you needed, and they knew it would help you.

I'll bring up an extreme here, but "innovators do not consider how their actions will benefit me in the long run"? What are you trying to say? I don't even get it. What they have done has helped benefit you, so you should at the very least offer some sort of gratitude! I can't fathom your mindset where you think you are entitled to these things, without so much as a nod of the head to offer some form of acknowledgment that these people have helped you!

You are free to all of your beliefs, but I've lost a huge amount of respect for you.
Although I disagree with Torch about most of his views on Thanksgiving, I don't discredit him for not thanking God. That is perfectly fine. Likewise, I don't see how you expect him to give thanks to a God that he doesn't believe in.

Torch: Forget about all the intricacies of who and who you should not be thankful to. Simply be thankful for what you have and have a good day with your family. Don't dwell on what your not thankful for, but what you are thankful for... Even if it is very little.

I just wanted to point out that it's logical to be thankful to someone or something that didn't set out to help you specifically. I'm thankful that the Italians invented pizza, even if they didn't have the mindset that they were inventing it for me. I respect them for what they have done, and I'm glad they did it. Therefore, I am thankful. I'm thankful that our world exists, even if nobody intentionally created it. It's not a verbal "thanks" for doing this, but more of an appreciation that it was done. You can appreciate someone or something for doing something even if it doesn't effect you.

Cactuscat222

Oh, don't get me wrong - I wasn't trying to say he should thank God, especially one he doesn't believe in.

I was angry that he was basically attacking my resolve to thank God on Thanksgiving, and saying how purposeless it was; I was just informing him why it is important, and how it fits in for those of us with beliefs.

I lost respect for him when he decided he didn't need to thank anyone at all - because it wasn't made for him directly.