News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Ipad

Started by ARTgames, January 27, 2010, 05:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 04:11:32 PMI would expect that like any Ipod touch/Iphone you can jailbreak it to at least be able to put on it whatever you wish to. Carrier is another matter.
True, but also void the warranty. That's a touchy subject. I agree with you, but I'd also like to see it legitimately more open.

You're right about carrier. You can always get the non-3G version (which is cheaper anyways) and then get a device like a MiFi. If you don't know, this is a mobile wireless hotspot that you can carry with you and allows I think up to 4 or 5 devices to connect to it. So you can get it through Verizon and still use the iPad wirelessly. The only downside is you don't get GPS whereas the 3G version does because it has built in wireless.

Quote from: ARTgames on April 16, 2010, 05:10:47 PM
@Lingus
Do you think its a game changer that will change the face of the computing world?
I'm not sure. I don't think it will change computing so much as how it will change how people interact with their computer. The smartphone was a step in this direction, and people are already widely using those to do much of what they would use the iPad for anyways. So it's not entirely revolutionary. It's more like an upgrade. I would see smartphones and/or laptops as the wheel (and take that further, the personal computer itself is really the wheel with those devices as upgrades). The iPad is just an evolutionary step along the personal computer's timeline. But I do think it will eventually change how people use the personal computer on a very wide basis, and at a very core level.

Scotty

The Jetsons aired back in 1962-1963 on ABC.  How many things do you see on there that exist today technology wise that could have never existed over 40 years ago?

ARTgames

I agree with you scotty, i'm just not sure how that apples to what we are talking about.

@Lingus
Ok thats fine. I can get along with that.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Seifer on April 16, 2010, 03:53:45 PM
Some school in minnesota dropped a large sum on cash to outfit all the students with Ipads instead of textbooks. Biggest mistake ever. That shit will break and get stolen.
Probably in Edina.. those rich bastards >_>

Meiun

I still think it's rather sad how many missed opportunities there are with the iPad. For instance, you'd imagine that a huge advantage it would have over an iPhone/touch is that it is big enough to use as a tablet for drawing and all that stuff. However, due to the touch technology/settings it uses, it is actually pretty much a piece of shit when it comes to any serious art stuff. This is due to the fact that you are limited to only your fingers, and any "stylus" you would get has to have a big fat felty tip that is essentialy the same as a finger. Obviously, this is farrr from practical to anyone serious about artt. My brother is an industrial design major and does drawings and such in photoshop all the time. He was excited about the iPad at first, but after finding that out has no desire for one.

tehrozzy

This just came to my mind -  The iPad is basically and iPod touch for really fat people whos fingers are to big to use a normal one :P

But really, this is just stupid. If they HAD decided to make it a bit better, and added support for most things used on the interwebz, it couldve been decent.

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on April 16, 2010, 06:17:59 PM
I still think it's rather sad how many missed opportunities there are with the iPad. For instance, you'd imagine that a huge advantage it would have over an iPhone/touch is that it is big enough to use as a tablet for drawing and all that stuff. However, due to the touch technology/settings it uses, it is actually pretty much a piece of shit when it comes to any serious art stuff. This is due to the fact that you are limited to only your fingers, and any "stylus" you would get has to have a big fat felty tip that is essentialy the same as a finger. Obviously, this is farrr from practical to anyone serious about artt. My brother is an industrial design major and does drawings and such in photoshop all the time. He was excited about the iPad at first, but after finding that out has no desire for one.
Keep in mind, there are already devices that are for this specific purpose. I don't think the iPad could have competed with those devices, and it is probably smart that they didn't try to. For what the iPad is supposed to do, give you an extremely accurate touch screen that you don't need a stylus to use, it does better than any other device there is.

The flaw in every complaint with the iPad is that it is being compared with other devices. "It's just a big iPhone" "You can't use it as a drawing tablet" "It's not as flexible as a laptop".

xgamer

Quote from: Lingus on April 16, 2010, 07:47:39 PM
Quote from: Meiun on April 16, 2010, 06:17:59 PM
Keep in mind, there are already devices that are for this specific purpose. I don't think the iPad could have competed with those devices, and it is probably smart that they didn't try to. For what the iPad is supposed to do, give you an extremely accurate touch screen that you don't need a stylus to use, it does better than any other device there is.

The flaw in every complaint with the iPad is that it is being compared with other devices. "It's just a big iPhone" "You can't use it as a drawing tablet" "It's not as flexible as a laptop".
Heres one more flaw fingerprints. If you're trying to do something in the sun you can't see sh**. Something else just came to my mind scratches. Your paying a load of money on a object that can get scratches all of the screen.

Lingus

Yea, I've noticed it gets fingerprints. Of course, so would the iPhone. But I haven't seen it in the sun to know if it causes a problem. I imagine screen glare would be an issue even without the fingerprints.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on April 16, 2010, 07:47:39 PM

Now i do think its far to compart it to a netbook. They both can brows the internet, email, Im, watch videos, read books, has apps, same size and from factor, low power, "cheap", ect. I think its vary logical to compair a netbook to an ipad. I could use an ipad the same places i could use a netbook, on the couch, in bed, on a bus, standing up, etc. Its vary clear that both these things overlap heavily. I mean Steve was dissing the netbook when he reviled this ipad.

Now the point of a netbook is to do a lot of things ok and for the cheap. Ware the ipad is on the other side ware it does less things but does them better for more money. So they are just on diffrent sides of the same spectrum.

Lingus

My point on that is that a netbook is a full blown computer. The iPad is not and is not meant to be. Yes, a lot of the features overlap, but you are not meant to install any given program you want on the iPad. It's an apple device. This becomes extremely apparent when you first set it up. Just like an iPod, you have to sync it with a computer. That really changes your opinion of what the device is really meant to do. It can't even function without a computer to sync it up to. So if you think of it more of like an iPod device (but different) then you see where I'm coming from. It's not like any other device...

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on April 16, 2010, 09:00:35 PM
My point on that is that a netbook is a full blown computer.
What would be the opposite of that? The ipads os. Other side of the spectrum.

The iPad is not and is not meant to be.
as i said. Other side of the spectrum. does less but better.

Yes, a lot of the features overlap,
That's what matters.

but you are not meant to install any given program you want on the iPad.
As i said "Other side of the spectrum." You can install less apps but better quilt apps.

It's an apple device.
And... my netbook is made by dell.

This becomes extremely apparent when you first set it up. Just like an iPod, you have to sync it with a computer. That really changes your opinion of what the device is really meant to do. It can't even function without a computer to sync it up to. So if you think of it more of like an iPod device (but different) then you see where I'm coming from. It's not like any other device...
So what? I hear you really only need to do that once. It would not be hard in ipad 2 to not even have to do this.

My point is if in every situation you may use an ipad you could use a netbook and likewise And thats all that matter in this discussion. Who cares if its apple and not a full blown os. Think of those as sliders to what a computer is not to wether or not its a computer. Its just a diffrent way to compleat the same job.

So why use an ipad? My answer to that is that the ipad does its jobs better than a netbook it just cant do it all. Its a trade off but i think that's fine.

I also want to make it clear that im not saying the ipad sucks. I think its just the other side of the coin of computers that side. And my gosh darn i would like to have one.

Edit: I made my self more clear in a later post. This post here was a bad one and made me think about what i was saying. I left this post here so people know what Seifer was responding to.

Seifer

I disagree. A netbook/Computer or whatever will do it's job better than an Ipad. Whatever you can do on an Ipad, I can guarantee that you can do it equally or better on a Laptop. The only difference is that the Ipad is touch screen and slightly more mobile. 

ARTgames

@Seifer
That's all matter of opinion. I was working with general consensus in my post. There are touch screen netbook coming out. Also use an ipad before saying what you did.

@Lingus
This is how im thinking of it.

The ipad and netbook have vary similar portability.

Ok now lets say the goals of the ipad is to consum content and a netbooks job is to be a full fledged computer. Well a part of being a full fledged computer is to consum content.

Now the ipod job (yes i mean the mp3 player) is to consum content also. But would you repace it with a netbook. No, and i know that. The price and portability of those things are totally diffrent.

But on the ipad size and price to the netbook you can see how they can come in conflict. But the ipad has a good argument on its side because it can do the consum content part vary well to the netbook.

edit:
I think what i need to ask you is "why would you get this over a netbook, or would you get both?"

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on April 16, 2010, 09:26:38 PMThe ipad and netbook have vary similar portability.
I would say you're wrong there. The ipad is much more usefull as a portable device. I can't really explain this part of it. Nothing I can write here will describe how much more usefull it is as a portable device. The only thing I can say is go try one out at the Apple store (or if you know someone that has it).

And btw, I'm not really trying to convince people that the ipad is all awesome and everything. This is just my opinion. I originally thought it wasn't a big deal, but after using it I see how much more usefull it is than a netbook as a portable device.

My earlier point about it not being a full fledged computer is that it doesn't do everything a computer can do. So if you need those features in a portable device, get a netbook. If you just need a portable device that can do most of what a computer can do, than ipad is definitely a better choice.

Oh, and also to respond to your crossed out post above, I don't disagree with anything you said. The only point I'm making is that the ipad is the best combination of portability and usability. A computer has more features, a smart phone is more mobile, but with the ipad you get both in a single device.

Edit:
In reading some articles I found this:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9175594/Designing_apps_for_the_iPad_It_s_not_just_a_big_iPhone?source=toc

I really liked this quote:
Quote"It's a larger iPhone the way a swimming pool is a larger bathtub."