News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Ipad

Started by ARTgames, January 27, 2010, 05:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Quote from: Titan on January 29, 2010, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: Lingus on January 29, 2010, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on January 28, 2010, 10:22:30 PM
Quote from: Lingus on January 28, 2010, 09:07:28 PM
Quote from: Meiun on January 28, 2010, 08:40:42 PMNot to mention that 3G costs a lot to signup for, and if your gonna do that you might as well get the iPhone instead and get the whole phone thing taken care of too
But either way you have the cost of the phone service and the 3G service (unless you have the 3G on your phone as well, but then it's just redundant) so the cost is the same.

They might charge you more for data when using the ipad than a phone. Like they do for the cards you place in your laptop.
Who does that? AT&T? My understanding is that the data plan is the data plan. It might depend on what plan you get, but it doesn't matter what device it's used for. Are you saying they would force you to get the higher data plan?
not sure. ill have to see what they will do with the ipad when it comes out. You might have to get 2 data plains if you want data on your phone and ipad.

but look hear at the iphone's "unlimited data"
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku3790236
$30 a month

here the one for a laptop
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/choosing-phone/laptop-connect-cards.jsp
$60 a month

There basically the same plain. "unlimited data" mean's 5GB a mouth (i dont know how they dont gets sued for false advertisement). And the laptop card is also 5GB a month.

So yeah you do pay more for the same thing. and you might even have to buy it twice. Cell phone company are freaking ripoffs and its no wonder why people dislike them.

Mystery

Quote from: Chaos on January 29, 2010, 02:53:53 PM
Vaguely related, but oh so funny that I had to link 'em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYkH60w4Ns
That second video is !@#$ing hilarious. xD I share the same opinion as that guy who made it, actually. Too many companies lately seem to be making minor edits to systems and claiming it as an entirely new one, with an over-sized price tag to boot. You'd think they could've done more with the iPad. But hey, it has potential, and it's not even for sale yet. I'll just wait and see(although I'm VERY doubtful about about it, honestly...).

Quote from: ARTgames on January 28, 2010, 10:38:24 PM
something more searios

iPad DRM endangers our rights
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad
Oh goddammit. I'm starting to hate this thing already.  :-X

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on January 29, 2010, 05:27:58 PMSo yeah you do pay more for the same thing. and you might even have to buy it twice. Cell phone company are freaking ripoffs and its no wonder why people dislike them.
Well that's retarded... But yes, you would definitely have to get it twice. You have to have the data plan for each device you have. You can't share the plan amongst multiple devices. Think of it like having a separate phone number for the iPad and iPhone. They do the same thing with wireless modems. The modem itself has a number.

ARTgames

I was just saying might because some people might not be paying for data now.

Meiun

Not sure if I misread you, but I have an iPhone with the unlimited plan and it definitely is unlimited. They may "hold the right" to do something if you got totally carried away, but I have a friend who jailbroke his and via tethering did a few hundred GB worth of download traffic over his iPhone in a month on the unlimited with no penalty. iPhone 3G plan is definitely a better deal than what you could get for a typical laptop 3G card.

Manzy

Quote from: Meiun on January 29, 2010, 10:33:13 PM
Not sure if I misread you, but I have an iPhone with the unlimited plan and it definitely is unlimited. They may "hold the right" to do something if you got totally carried away, but I have a friend who jailbroke his and via tethering did a few hundred GB worth of download traffic over his iPhone in a month on the unlimited with no penalty. iPhone 3G plan is definitely a better deal than what you could get for a typical laptop 3G card.

Hah, funny story about that... I too have an iphone 3g and I also tether it to my laptop. Just recently I checked up on my bill online and decided to look at my internet usage. Just for the last month my usage count was 5 million gb plus(I can only assume its this high due to streaming, gaming etc). Luckily I have the unlimited data plan(which I think is required for iphones) otherwise I would more than likely be in big big big trouble with my monthly bill for overages. So yes, I am 100% sure it is indeed unlimited. And as far as getting a 3g laptop connect card in my opinion you are actually better off buying a typical iphone and tethering it.

Scotty

Quote from: Manzy on January 29, 2010, 11:14:06 PM

Hah, funny story about that... I too have an iphone 3g and I also tether it to my laptop. Just recently I checked up on my bill online and decided to look at my internet usage. Just for the last month my usage count was 5 million gb plus(I can only assume its this high due to streaming, gaming etc). Luckily I have the unlimited data plan(which I think is required for iphones) otherwise I would more than likely be in big big big trouble with my monthly bill for overages. So yes, I am 100% sure it is indeed unlimited. And as far as getting a 3g laptop connect card in my opinion you are actually better off buying a typical iphone and tethering it.

5,000 TB?  I doubt that.

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on January 30, 2010, 01:11:41 AM

5,000 TB?  I doubt that.
I'm pretty sure you would have a big angry mob of AT&T people with pitch forks at your front door if you used 5,000 Terabytes in one month (regardless of the plan).

Chaos

I'm not sure it's physically POSSIBLE to use 5,000 TBs in a single month.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

JoEL

Quote from: Chaos on January 30, 2010, 01:36:34 AM

Well maybe not possible for a single person...

Scotty

Quote from: JoEL on January 30, 2010, 01:41:32 AM

Google processes about 20 petabytes of data per day.

Chaos

Quote from: JoEL on January 30, 2010, 01:41:32 AM

Well, that's what I'm refering to.  According to wikipedia, "As of June 2008[update], Cisco Systems estimated Internet traffic at 160 TB/s (which assuming to be statistically constant comes to 5 zettabytes for the year)."
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mr Pwnage

I challenge you all to download 1 yottabyte of data through AT&T before the end of 2010. First price is a free new Ipad. Get crackin.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

JoEL

I thought this was interesting:

ARTgames

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-546034.html
Im not really sure. I would have too look more. Maybe its something newer.

Quote from: Meiun on January 30, 2010, 01:35:18 AM
Quote from: Scotty on January 30, 2010, 01:11:41 AM

5,000 TB?  I doubt that.
I'm pretty sure you would have a big angry mob of AT&T people with pitch forks at your front door if you used 5,000 Terabytes in one month (regardless of the plan).

well accoring to Wikipedia:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GData rates

ITU has not provided a clear definition of the data rate users can expect from 3G equipment or providers. Thus users sold 3G service may not be able to point to a standard and say that the rates it specifies are not being met. While stating in commentary that "it is expected that IMT-2000 will provide higher transmission rates: a minimum data rate of 2 Mbit/s for stationary or walking users, and 348 kbit/s in a moving vehicle,"[13] the ITU does not actually clearly specify minimum or average rates or what modes of the interfaces qualify as 3G, so various rates are sold as 3G intended to meet customers expectations of broadband data.

So if you getting the full 2 Mbit/s thats about 5,184,000 megabits a month or 648,000 megabytes or 632.8125 gigabytes in a month. I have no idea how your able to get 4 882.8125 terabytes worth out of one phone. :P

Quote from: JoEL on January 30, 2010, 07:37:24 AM
I thought this was interesting:

Hows that interesting in any way? apple alwas does that. Just look at the ipod for starters. Its just seems when they do it people buy it. Thats apple for you.