News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Fasting

Started by Trogdor, March 02, 2010, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Well if you want to go that route, the body is always growing.  If it wasn't, how are your grandparents going grey in the hair?  As far as reaching the prime of your life, I think we can all agree that isn't the age of 18.  Even at half way to my 25 birthday, i don't quite know if I've hit my prime yet.  I'm encouraging it though through lots of exercise and rock climbing, so time will tell.

I do have to go against what Seifer is saying about exercise though.  When fasting, I would HIGHLY recommend reconsidering exercise, as that will only raise your metabolism.  When you already have thinned blood, and you are going for two weeks, it would be unwise to go about exercising.  Your heart rate will increase, and the blood will be flowing more rapidly.  That would only further agitate your stomach.  You'll notice how athletes always exercise before they eat a meal, and then that meal with allow them to replenish the lost calories and re-establish their protein levels, allowing for muscle growth.  To exercise and not be able to replenish what was lost would easily equate a two week fast into that of a month-long fast.  You'll find it much harder to accomplish your goals, and remain healthy in doing so. 

Just be careful with what you do.  If you do decide to exercise, and go even further against what your body demands than fasting alone, be aware of the consequences.  As I've stated before, you're liable to pass out or faint.  Drink a lot of water, and if it gets too extreme, stop.

Seifer

Quote from: Scotty on March 02, 2010, 11:19:15 PM
Well if you want to go that route, the body is always growing.  If it wasn't, how are your grandparents going grey in the hair?  As far as reaching the prime of your life, I think we can all agree that isn't the age of 18.  Even at half way to my 25 birthday, i don't quite know if I've hit my prime yet.  I'm encouraging it though through lots of exercise and rock climbing, so time will tell.

I do have to go against what Seifer is saying about exercise though.  When fasting, I would HIGHLY recommend reconsidering exercise, as that will only raise your metabolism.  When you already have thinned blood, and you are going for two weeks, it would be unwise to go about exercising.  Your heart rate will increase, and the blood will be flowing more rapidly.  That would only further agitate your stomach.  You'll notice how athletes always exercise before they eat a meal, and then that meal with allow them to replenish the lost calories and re-establish their protein levels, allowing for muscle growth.  To exercise and not be able to replenish what was lost would easily equate a two week fast into that of a month-long fast.  You'll find it much harder to accomplish your goals, and remain healthy in doing so. 

Just be careful with what you do.  If you do decide to exercise, and go even further against what your body demands than fasting alone, be aware of the consequences.  As I've stated before, you're liable to pass out or faint.  Drink a lot of water, and if it gets too extreme, stop.

Ahh, I beleive your right. With my shorter fast I did find that the exersice helped, but when shooting for two weeks I could see where complications would arise. I found my biggest issue was the lack of energy, and it helped.

Again, about growth...I lost 7-9 baby teeth throughout highschool, evenly distributed across the years. Heck, at 19 I've still got an Adult tooth thats yet to come down(My jaw needs to grow).. So yeah, it really varies.

Grim_Reaper

I have never done fasting but the army has taught me survival skills
but we were always told things in a rule of 3 in survival

3 min without air
3 hrs without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

so yeah your getting close to 3 weeks so be careful
and eat little ammounts when you start eating again

Grim_Reaper -> lvl 78
Teh_Ninja    -> lvl 34
FL0P           -> lvl 51

JoEL

I liked how people say it prevents cancer, I also like how eating vegetables prevents cancer as well (apparently) so doing that is just as good as fasting :P

Trogdor

@Scotty & Seifer: Don't worry, the last thing I'd do is exercise during a fast of this duration. I don't want to try anything deviating from the norm in fasting. I just want a short, simple test to see if it actually works for my body or doesn't.

@JoEL: People can draw all sorts of conclusions leading to the prevention or curing of cancer. Personally, I wouldn't deprive myself of nutrition if I had cancer, I just thought it'd be fun to throw in the list. As for cancer itself, the two time Nobel laureate Dr. Otto Warburg has demonstrated that cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment with ample oxygen. Since the healthy pH for humans to have is 7 - 7.2, it's not hard to throw off this balance with poor eating habits and/or stress.

On a side note, I updated my weight and wrote a small paragraph, and will be writing more as the day progresses.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotty

Quote from: JoEL on March 03, 2010, 07:30:53 AM
I liked how people say it prevents cancer, I also like how eating vegetables prevents cancer as well (apparently) so doing that is just as good as fasting :P

Eating vegetables prevents cancer.
Eating vegetables also causes cancer.
So does red meat, engine oil, plastic, air, sex, purified water, cancer, sushi, tobacco usage, and long walks on the beach during sunset hours.

leviofoley

All he means is that people with diets that are mostly vegetables have lower rates of cancer.

Seifer

Quote from: Scotty on March 03, 2010, 12:42:21 PM

So does red meat, engine oil, plastic, air, sex, purified water, cancer, sushi, tobacco usage, and long walks on the beach during sunset hours.

Which is why I don't give two shits about cancer. I hate when someone tells me "Don't do it! It causes cancer". Everything causes cancer... The !@#$ing sun causes cancer. If I'm going to get cancer than i'm going to get it, and I need not change my life because of it.

Scotty

Quote from: Seifer on March 03, 2010, 03:39:23 PM
Quote from: Scotty on March 03, 2010, 12:42:21 PM

Which is why I don't give two shits about cancer. I hate when someone tells me "Don't do it! It causes cancer". Everything causes cancer... The !@#$ing sun causes cancer. If I'm going to get cancer than i'm going to get it, and I need not change my life because of it.

Quoted For Truth!  So truthful, it doesn't deserve to be "acronym'ized"!

Lingus

That's really not true though. The more you do which is known to be carcinogenic (such as smoking cigarettes or spending a lot time in the sun without sun screen) the higher chance you will have of getting cancer. You can't just say, "Eff it! Everything causes cancer so I don't give a crap." It might be partially true, but some things increase the risk more than others. And some things just flat out don't have anything to do with your risk of getting cancer at all.

Trogdor

Bad news, guys. Recently my girlfriend found out that I was "intentionally starving myself" (which is not far from the truth) and threatened to break up with me if I didn't eat something. She can definitely be melodramatic at times, however I do care about her, so I'm calling off the fast. It's a huge disappointment to me that I didn't get anywhere near as far as I'd hope, but I'm glad I did it even though it was only for three days. For now I'll regroup my efforts and try again at a later time (hopefully sometime soon), educating her about fasting all along the way. It's a shame this topic didn't go anywhere near as far as I'd initially hoped, and now I feel like a fool for spending so much time and effort on it only to have it come to an abrupt halt within the same week of its creation. I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lingus

Welcome to life in a relationship. Now you know that anything remotely important should be run by your significant other before getting too far into it.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Lingus on March 04, 2010, 08:22:57 PM
Welcome to life in a relationship. Now you know that anything remotely important should be run by your significant other before getting too far into it.

As much as I hope you were being cynical, I know its not far from the truth... haha...

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Lucifer

Awwww that's a shame Trogdor, I was hoping to see you down here sometime soon.... I mean uh, it was pretty interesting to hear about fasting, good luck on any future attempts. *ahem*

EpicPhailure

Heh. Might as well keep this topic open just in case.