News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

And in other news, I'm not dead.

Started by Mystery, April 05, 2010, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystery

Yes, I realize some people don't care if I have 'returned' or not from a short hiatus. I posted it for the people who did or were curious.

I've been away from SO for a while, and there is an explanation. I have been unable to even load the game due to the fact that I now have Norton and it will not let me run the game(among other things). I was able to get on fine when I had the free version of Avast!, but due to the fact that the free version must continue with a license(yes, I know it's still free), things got over-complicated and I had to switch back to my default security program that my service provider(Comcast) gave me for free(which was McAfee at the time, but they dropped them for Norton). So in other words, due to the fact I need to have a security program on my computer and I NEED to have a free one, I can't get on SO. No idea why Norton is preventing it.

So I guess until whatever in SO's update as of late that Norton and McAfee dislike is adjusted or I get a new security program(which will most likely not happen unless Comcast makes a deal with Avast, which they have no reason to do so at this time), I can't play SO. Just saying why..
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Chaos

I wasn't wondering, but good to know you aren't dead regardless.

Confused, though.  Why, exactly, can you not use Avast?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mystery

Quote from: Chaos on April 05, 2010, 07:34:27 PM
I wasn't wondering, but good to know you aren't dead regardless.

Confused, though.  Why, exactly, can you not use Avast?
I'm a bit confused too, to tell you the truth. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting my free license. Inputting everything correctly, but it repeatedly says my e-mail address is not valid(which it is, I assure you). I was curious if my e-mail address I have wouldn't work, so I made a new Hotmail account for the sole purpose of testing that and that didn't work either..no idea why it won't accept it.

Jake

Dumb question... Why not just turn Norton off when you want to play SO?

sly 3 4 me

When I had Norton there were no problems with running the Stick-Online client. Either try Jake's Idea or you could get someone to make an e-mail for you. Perhaps the Avast program registration knows that it's you. :o

Mystery

Quote from: Jake on April 05, 2010, 07:41:44 PM
Dumb question... Why not just turn Norton off when you want to play SO?
Because I'm an overly paranoid person with bad luck when it comes to most things. Yes, it's a lame excuse. But I've had viruses and other malware come onto my system a few times before this way, and one even managed to crash my hard drive. So I don't want to do that unless it's a last resort.

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on April 05, 2010, 07:44:19 PM
Perhaps the Avast program registration knows that it's you. :o
Oh shi- they're onto me..  :O

EDIT:

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on April 05, 2010, 07:44:19 PM
When I had Norton there were no problems with running the Stick-Online client.
Same here. I had Norton awhile ago before I got McAfee(I switched about half a week from when I was able to play SO)and I had no problems. It's a somewhat RECENT update that stopped me from playing. To be more specific, Version 0.0224 of SOv2 was when I couldn't get on.

HamsterPants

Norton is evil, check out this page and see if you can find something to replace it.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

Anyway, I actually was wondering where you had gone, like I'm one to talk. :P

11clock

Welcome back! Check your messages. :P

Mystery

Quote from: 11clock on April 05, 2010, 08:44:31 PM
Welcome back! Check your messages. :P
Thanks for that, 11.  ;)

.......Well, this seems like the officially WORST time to not be able to get on SO now, heh. Easter event, too. It seems my only option now would be temporarily turning off Norton. Which will probably work, unless I have to KEEP it off while playing.

Mystery

That didn't work. Obviously, I'm NOT going to turn off everything on Norton, but I turned off what seemed to cause the issue(which I guess wasn't)- From the start of clicking on Norton Security Suite, Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks > Compressed Files Scan/Limit Data Extraction(OFF)

If anyone else has Norton Security Suite and can manage to play, please help. (This topic is becoming more suited to Tech Support and Bugs..)

Lingus

Is there an area to add programs as trusted or what have you? Keep in mind, I have no information other than the game won't load so I don't have much to go on. How are you even certain it's Norton that is the problem? Do you get a message of some sort?

crozier

Welcome back. Glad you ended that mafia before you left or a lot of people would be angry at you  ;)

Mystery

Quote from: Lingus on April 06, 2010, 03:59:49 PM
Is there an area to add programs as trusted or what have you? Keep in mind, I have no information other than the game won't load so I don't have much to go on. How are you even certain it's Norton that is the problem? Do you get a message of some sort?
Not that I can see, no. Anyway, it was an inductive guess, but I really don't know what the problem is now. it doesn't seem to be Norton.

Anyway, problem solved thanks to 11clock giving me the download link I lost again, topic locked.