News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

An Even Stranger Question.

Started by NotoriousM4^, April 09, 2010, 04:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriousM4^

What language do people who are born deaf think in?

Kbob32

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!!!!!!

Jake

None. I'm sure if they know sign language that images of that comes up.

In reality, most of our thinking is actually done without language, and a very minute portion is done with internal speech. That's what I've ready anyway.

Lingus

Probably whatever language they speak. A lot of deaf people can speak, so they probably understand what the words "sound" like on some level.

They also say that blind people see images in their head. Similar concept I guess.

DivineLegend

I took sign language. My teacher was born deaf. he said he just put pictures and signs together, like we put pictures and sounds of words together. they also dream in sign language as well, instead of hearing it, cause thats what comes natural to them

Torch

Quote from: Jake on April 09, 2010, 04:58:11 PM
None. I'm sure if they know sign language that images of that comes up.

In reality, most of our thinking is actually done without language, and a very minute portion is done with internal speech. That's what I've ready anyway.
More than that, people are capable of using logic without the use of language, that far exceeds their ability to use logic with a language. That's why people are often capable of deducing something without being able to explain it.

HamsterPants

I was fortunate enough to remember moments from when I was an infant.

I can tell you with utmost certainty, that babies do not think in any spoken language. First off, they think by what they smell hear and feel, until their sight develops and then they judge by the objects that they see as well.

There doesn't need to be any language.

How do you think that animals think or process information?

DivineLegend

Aqua

We use words to describe objects. They probably just think of the objects and make up names for them, and actions.
~Aqua

ARTgames

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 09, 2010, 04:54:36 PM

The same one you do.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: ARTgames on April 10, 2010, 01:43:08 PM

The same one you do.
Seeing as they have never heard English (or any other sound for that matter) I would doubt it. When I think, there is an audible sub-consciousness which I would imagine matches my voice. A deaf person would most certainly not have this (or at least not in the same form). This "voice" I am talking about is the someone you hear when you "read silently".

DivineLegend

did anyone pay attention to my post? we recognize items like house with the sound of the word house. we associate the two. people born deaf associate hand signals and motions with an item like house. or milk. they even dream in sign language. but there are also varying degrees of deafness. there is total deaf, which i assume is what youa re talking about, hard of hearing, which you hear almost nothing in varying levels, but still can be considered deaf.

DarkTrinity

Which brings me to a similar question... how come when we talk, our voices sound different to us that how everyone else hears it?

ARTgames

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 10, 2010, 02:01:25 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on April 10, 2010, 01:43:08 PM

The same one you do.
Seeing as they have never heard English (or any other sound for that matter) I would doubt it. When I think, there is an audible sub-consciousness which I would imagine matches my voice. A deaf person would most certainly not have this (or at least not in the same form). This "voice" I am talking about is the someone you hear when you "read silently".

Well when your born def or hearing you have not heard English. :P (I'm kidding here, i know you mean later on in life)

But for real i agree with Jake.

Quote from: DarkTrinity on April 10, 2010, 03:19:45 PM
Which brings me to a similar question... how come when we talk, our voices sound different to us that how everyone else hears it?

Well when the thing making the voice is inside of you its going to sound diffrent from something coming over the air.

Mystery

Quote from: DarkTrinity on April 10, 2010, 03:19:45 PM

This should explain it fully.

Quote from: RedJohnThis perception is very common and a person can be rather surprised by how their voice sounds when recorded. Most people find their recorded voice higher in pitch and somewhat thin, when compared to their spoken voice.

The vibrations produced by our larynx are transmitted to our ears through both the air and our head. We 'hear' our voices through the air and through our body. A recording of a person's voice captures only the information transmitted through the air. When played back, we hear only the portion of the sound that was transmitted through the air, without any of the colourations produced when it travels through our body. If you plug your ears very soundly and speak, you will 'hear' everything you say, but your voice will sound very different than with your ears open.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.