News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

5 reasons you should be scared of Apple

Started by Seifer, May 13, 2010, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seifer

Scotty

I know they did a good job of hyper-link'ing a lot of references, and I know that my negligence in not reading said sources may cost me for saying this, but there are a lot of tall claims in that article.  None the less I found it entertaining, and even if the claims are false, it does make one wonder!

Lingus

Let me first say that I'm not necessarily a fan or advocate of Apple, but at the same time I don't particularly "hate" Apple either.

I have to say, this seems like a lot of complaining and exaggeration. For one thing, no cell phone or gadget distributor wants you jailbreaking their device. Hell, even console companies take measures to stop that from happening. So because Apple was successful at coming up with a solution to that problem they are now the "bad guys"? Sure, you pay for something you should be able to do what you want with it... so if you don't like what Apple has done, don't buy their product. It's that simple.

Apple may have taken some drastic measures to contain privacy leaks and keep information about their new products secure, but can you blame them? I don't think it's fair to say Apple indirectly caused someone to commit suicide. Yes, they have strict policies with their vendors, but they didn't tell that company to torture their employee. That's just ridiculous.

As far as App development, again, this is a matter of consumers continuing to buy into their product even though they may not like certain things. Apple's App market is their service. It is not the free market. If they decide they don't want an App on it for any reason, it should be their decision. If you don't like it, don't buy the service, or don't develop apps for it. But people do anyways, and that's how they get away with it. If people were to stop buying into the Apple products due to these tactics, Apple would essentially be forced into making their App market more open. That's how consumerism works.

And finally, the #1 reason being that they attach Safari onto an iTunes update... seriously? How many other softwares do this? How many times do people miss unchecking the box that opts out of installing Yahoo or Google toolbar or some other obnoxious "helpful" piece of software? This is by far the weakest argument of the bunch.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on May 13, 2010, 04:56:37 PM
Let me first say that I'm not necessarily a fan or advocate of Apple, but at the same time I don't particularly "hate" Apple either.

I have to say, this seems like a lot of complaining and exaggeration. For one thing, no cell phone or gadget distributor wants you jailbreaking their device. Hell, even console companies take measures to stop that from happening. So because Apple was successful at coming up with a solution to that problem they are now the "bad guys"? Sure, you pay for something you should be able to do what you want with it... so if you don't like what Apple has done, don't buy their product. It's that simple.

Apple may have taken some drastic measures to contain privacy leaks and keep information about their new products secure, but can you blame them? I don't think it's fair to say Apple indirectly caused someone to commit suicide. Yes, they have strict policies with their vendors, but they didn't tell that company to torture their employee. That's just ridiculous.

As far as App development, again, this is a matter of consumers continuing to buy into their product even though they may not like certain things. Apple's App market is their service. It is not the free market. If they decide they don't want an App on it for any reason, it should be their decision. If you don't like it, don't buy the service, or don't develop apps for it. But people do anyways, and that's how they get away with it. If people were to stop buying into the Apple products due to these tactics, Apple would essentially be forced into making their App market more open. That's how consumerism works.

And finally, the #1 reason being that they attach Safari onto an iTunes update... seriously? How many other softwares do this? How many times do people miss unchecking the box that opts out of installing Yahoo or Google toolbar or some other obnoxious "helpful" piece of software? This is by far the weakest argument of the bunch.

That actually summed up a lot of what I wanted to say, I was just not ambitious enough to say it... Thief...

ARTgames

Not really true. There are things like google phones that are hackable. Just google Linux Phones. And its not like this argument has not been made for anything other than apple before. I think this place is a gray area so im not taking sides here if they should or should not.

Well its hard to say. We really don't know how people are treated over seas in these fabies/sweat shops. Just Google/Youtube "Made in china". But from what i have seen in documentaries about Wall-mart is its not good there. But as i said not just apple is doing this. But its bad no matter who is doing it.

As for Apple in this case i have no idea if they guy had mentil problems or what happen for sure. But if it happens once more than i will be more suspicious.

QuoteAs far as App development, again, this is a matter of consumers continuing to buy into their product even though they may not like certain things. Apple's App market is their service. It is not the free market. If they decide they don't want an App on it for any reason, it should be their decision. If you don't like it, don't buy the service, or don't develop apps for it. But people do anyways, and that's how they get away with it. If people were to stop buying into the Apple products due to these tactics, Apple would essentially be forced into making their App market more open. That's how consumerism works.

I don't think that should stop people from speaking there minds about the matter. Its true that its there right and they can do this but its does not mean other people can say if they like it or not. Just because McDonald's makes there hamburgers too salty does not mean i cant say if i like it or not because they have a right to make them as salty as they want. They also don't have to listen to me.

So my advice is just stop paying attention to the complaints if you don't care about them.

QuoteAnd finally, the #1 reason being that they attach Safari onto an iTunes update... seriously? How many other softwares do this? How many times do people miss unchecking the box that opts out of installing Yahoo or Google toolbar or some other obnoxious "helpful" piece of software? This is by far the weakest argument of the bunch.

Just because other people do it does not make it right. The worst part about this is that the put it in an update to Itunes. They gave me a piece of software i did not want in an update to something i did. I also hate it when yahoo and Microsoft do it. I wish they would all just stop it. That's why i don't use yahoo software. I wish i could stop using Itunes but i don't know any podcast downloader that work on windows 7.

I would also like to point out that Apple is like any other big company and will have lots of conservancy around it. Anything popular can come under this kind of scrutiny. And i take these topics like noise. Also people express there like for Apple with words like "best, love, greater than, ect". And when people use those words it tends to bring more hate than needed also. Extremes attract each other like a magnetic. Or in other words the whole situation is exaggerated.

BTW: I dont owen any Apple stuff like there phones or Ipods or comps. I have use other peoples before.

But they missed the most inportant one. I think they have seen Steve jobs with Miles Bennett Dyson to work on this "skynet". This cant be good. :P

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on May 13, 2010, 06:17:49 PM

Not really true. There are things like google phones that are hackable. Just google Linux Phones. And its not like this argument has not been made for anything other than apple before. I think this place is a gray area so im not taking sides here if they should or should not.
You're right. I probably should have said "almost" none in this case. I should clarify though by pointing out while you may be able to hack some phones, it doesn't mean the company wants you doing it. But yes, you are correct that some products are specifically more open to allow you to modify.

Well its hard to say. We really don't know how people are treated over seas in these fabies/sweat shops. Just Google/Youtube "Made in china". But from what i have seen in documentaries about Wall-mart is its not good there. But as i said not just apple is doing this. But its bad no matter who is doing it.

As for Apple in this case i have no idea if they guy had mentil problems or what happen for sure. But if it happens once more than i will be more suspicious.
Art, what you missed here is that the company who did this was NOT Apple. It was a vendor that Apple uses. I highly doubt that a company as highly visible as Apple would clear something as horrible as torture. I think it's a cop out to put any blame on Apple for this. They are looking out for their profits by putting restrictions on their vendors. If a vendor leaks something, they may not use that vendor anymore. That makes sense to me... But, it's this company
Foxconn who decided to torture their employee for potentially losing them a contract with Apple.

QuoteAs far as App development, again, this is a matter of consumers continuing to buy into their product even though they may not like certain things. Apple's App market is their service. It is not the free market. If they decide they don't want an App on it for any reason, it should be their decision. If you don't like it, don't buy the service, or don't develop apps for it. But people do anyways, and that's how they get away with it. If people were to stop buying into the Apple products due to these tactics, Apple would essentially be forced into making their App market more open. That's how consumerism works.

I don't think that should stop people from speaking there minds about the matter. Its true that its there right and they can do this but its does not mean other people can say if they like it or not. Just because McDonald's makes there hamburgers too salty does not mean i cant say if i like it or not because they have a right to make them as salty as they want. They also don't have to listen to me.

So my advice is just stop paying attention to the complaints if you don't care about them.
I agree with you here, but it goes both ways. I can speak my mind as well. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I have a problem with people with extreme opinions. I'm kind of an anti-extremist I guess. I'm extremely against extreme positions... if that makes sense.

Anyways, I'm not saying you can't dislike Apple, but to hate them so much as to start compiling lists and exaggerating what seem like minor things... I just don't get it.

QuoteAnd finally, the #1 reason being that they attach Safari onto an iTunes update... seriously? How many other softwares do this? How many times do people miss unchecking the box that opts out of installing Yahoo or Google toolbar or some other obnoxious "helpful" piece of software? This is by far the weakest argument of the bunch.

Just because other people do it does not make it right. The worst part about this is that the put it in an update to Itunes. They gave me a piece of software i did not want in an update to something i did. I also hate it when yahoo and Microsoft do it. I wish they would all just stop it. That's why i don't use yahoo software. I wish i could stop using Itunes but i don't know any podcast downloader that work on windows 7.

I would also like to point out that Apple is like any other big company and will have lots of conservancy around it. Anything popular can come under this kind of scrutiny. And i take these topics like noise. Also people express there like for Apple with words like "best, love, greater than, ect". And when people use those words it tends to bring more hate than needed also. Extremes attract each other like a magnetic. Or in other words the whole situation is exaggerated.

BTW: I dont owen any Apple stuff like there phones or Ipods or comps. I have use other peoples before.

But they missed the most inportant one. I think they have seen Steve jobs with Miles Bennett Dyson to work on this "skynet". This cant be good. :P
I think you're right. I definitely think opinions like this article expresses is a kind of backlash against popularity. Apple makes some great products and people flock to have them. It's only natural that some people are going to have an adverse reaction to that. I just wish this wasn't necessary.

ARTgames

@Lingus I agree. As for what happens in china i did miss the part about that it was a vendor.

Snakeman

A good alternative to this (if it is true):

Get an Android.
Get a Zune.
Get a PC.

Easy.

ARTgames

Well a good pc is a mac book pro. Unless you mean a non apple pc.

Snakeman

Quote from: ARTgames on May 13, 2010, 09:48:36 PM

Non Apple PC. If what they say about the whole "slipping unwanted programs stealthily into program updates" is true, then it sure as hell better be a non Apple.

Scotty

Quote from: Snakeman on May 13, 2010, 09:58:40 PM

Non Apple PC. If what they say about the whole "slipping unwanted programs stealthily into program updates" is true, then it sure as hell better be a non Apple.

They don't.  They make it clear as day when you update their software that you will also be downloading Safari and Quicktime (unless you uncheck the boxes).  They don't hide it.

Seifer

Quote from: Scotty on May 13, 2010, 10:30:44 PM
Quote from: Snakeman on May 13, 2010, 09:58:40 PM

They don't.  They make it clear as day when you update their software that you will also be downloading Safari and Quicktime (unless you uncheck the boxes).  They don't hide it.

No no, in that situation, it was installed WITHOUT the option of opting out. Hence the uproar.

Also, when installing Itunes you HAVE to install Quicktime first. You do not need quicktime to use itunes, and yet I must have it on my computer. Damn bogus!

Really wish there was a good alternative to Itunes.

Kbob32

What about Rhapsody?

I havent tried it but I guess its like iTunes.

btw, I guess I am part of the machine (iPhone user)  I love my iPhone =3
But agree that apple has a pretty big monoploy in the mp3 industry and up there with cell phones as well.
VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!!!!!!

Lingus

As far as I'm aware you don't need iTunes if you don't have an Apple product. You bought the product, you get the software they make you get. You don't like it, return the product. I fail to see what is so difficult about this. This is how businesses are run.

Seifer

When I purchased my Ipod touch, it was the only product on the market that was reasonably priced that could do the things that it does.