News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Dropping items idea.

Started by Celson, July 07, 2009, 07:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seifer

Meiun beat me to the punch.

Dragx_Rage

Quote from: ASD! on July 07, 2009, 05:55:13 PM
Quote from: Meiun on July 07, 2009, 04:50:24 PM
There will absolutely be methods of trade in V3. As for V2, while it would be fairly simple to just slap dropping of items or some other method of trade in, it would require quite a reworking of the game engine to do this in a truly secure manner.

We have faith in you Meiun :D

I second this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Osh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat

We had dropping items in Kiox Online, it was a complete fail. People dropped every item they didn't want and beginners ended up with all the good items. This idea only works with level restrictions on items.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

JoEL

That or maybe everyone within the range of it being dropped should be able to see it?

Mystery

Quote from: JoEL on August 22, 2009, 07:24:26 AM
That or maybe everyone within the range of it being dropped should be able to see it?
Wouldn't work either. Then people would just search everywhere for items, and if they get lucky enough, they could still get it. Especially high AGI's/people with BC and BBE. Just wait for trading.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Bread

I'm for it. I think it would be a great perk to being a donor.

ARTgames

Didn't this topic kind of end with meiun?

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on August 22, 2009, 01:39:48 PM
Didn't this topic kind of end with meiun?
Agreed. I think Pat's comment just reinforces the fact that this is a bad idea. If we're going to have trading, I'd rather it done right. Not half assed. And like Meiun said, he has plans already so it's all set.

scsox

trading will lead to increased hacking i think though

EpicPhailure

Quote from: scsox on August 23, 2009, 07:54:41 PM

Care to explain?

Mystery

That makes no sense. It'll probably lead to some system abuse, sure, but I don't think it'll add to hacking. Plus, it's a simple matter to stop whoever's hacking and just perma-ban them.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Torch

Maybe he's confusing hacking with scamming. I think the largest problem would be with account-sharing. Obviously, the best way to avoid this is to just not hare your password, however, people are going to account-share anyway. Just be prepared for the consequences when you do so.

ARTgames

yeah it will give more of a intensive to try and guess peoples passwords/ social engine them. But i think the usefullness of it outwase that.

also the word hack can mean a lot of things. such as

placing data ware it's not supposed to go. aka pack editing, ram/rom editing, buffer overflows...ect (this is was your thinking of)
hardware modding and changing/replacing/rewarding/disabling ...ect
social engineering bar bets/ fooling people to give you stuff... ect
scams aka madoff ... ect
finding new ways to use things.

hacking just meanies finding a a clever way to do something. its just has been turned into a bad thing by the media. like pandemonium pandemic. if you what to refer to bad hacking please call it black hat first.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_%28computing%29
Controversy and ambiguity

While "hack" was originally more used as a verb for "messing about" with (e.g. "I hack around with computers"), the meaning of the term has shifted over the decades since it first came into use in a computer context. As usage has spread more widely, the primary meaning of newer users of the word has shifted to one which conflicts with the original primary emphasis.

JoEL

Quote from: Mystery on August 22, 2009, 11:28:12 AM
Quote from: JoEL on August 22, 2009, 07:24:26 AM
Wouldn't work either. Then people would just search everywhere for items, and if they get lucky enough, they could still get it. Especially high AGI's/people with BC and BBE. Just wait for trading.

I said when being dropped, if they're not in range when it was dropped the item will not show up in there screen. If both people walk away from the item then remove the item.

ASD!

Meiun could throw a quick drop ability together for SO2, because really? Who would hack on a server where you have donate to play, it would be a major waste.