News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Dropping items idea.

Started by Celson, July 07, 2009, 07:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactuscat222

Quote from: ASD! on August 24, 2009, 02:04:42 AM
Meiun could throw a quick drop ability together for SO2, because really? Who would hack on a server where you have donate to play, it would be a major waste.

People try to hack on games they have already invested hundreds of dollars in (World of Warcraft, Maplestory, etc etc.), even if it results in a permanent ban so all that money goes to waste, but it doesn't stop them. :/

But yeah, I would love a drop system.

And about scamming - yeah, if there is a trade system, I can guarantee people will scam alot, or at least try, especially on a free game. First people will try to find ways to abuse it, trying to find every little bug or lag related problem. And then, if the trade system is quite secure, people will just try to trick people. :/ Its really horrible. (Oh... ye olde days of UO and the stealing and stealth abilities... xD) Just never share your account, no matter what - or that crazy cool sword you got the other day just might end up on your friends account ;)

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

JoEL

IF you get scammed you're to young to be on the internet...

As for the what ASD said, I'm sure he won't do it on SOv3, it's not something that you can just 'throw together' It'd take alot of time for meiun to do something like this.

krele

Quote from: ARTgames on August 23, 2009, 09:47:08 PM
Quote from: scsox on August 23, 2009, 07:54:41 PM
trading will lead to increased hacking i think though

yeah it will give more of a intensive to try and guess peoples passwords/ social engine them. But i think the usefullness of it outwase that.

also the word hack can mean a lot of things. such as

placing data ware it's not supposed to go. aka pack editing, ram/rom editing, buffer overflows...ect (this is was your thinking of)
hardware modding and changing/replacing/rewarding/disabling ...ect
social engineering bar bets/ fooling people to give you stuff... ect
scams aka madoff ... ect
finding new ways to use things.

hacking just meanies finding a a clever way to do something. its just has been turned into a bad thing by the media. like pandemonium pandemic. if you what to refer to bad hacking please call it black hat first.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_%28computing%29
Controversy and ambiguity

While "hack" was originally more used as a verb for "messing about" with (e.g. "I hack around with computers"), the meaning of the term has shifted over the decades since it first came into use in a computer context. As usage has spread more widely, the primary meaning of newer users of the word has shifted to one which conflicts with the original primary emphasis.

Since you tried to explain so well, I should +karma you...

But still for trying to sound smart, and being a wannabe, I should -karma you...

He probably didn't think of hacking like that, probably just trading items from a scammed account...

Mystery

Quote from: JoEL on August 25, 2009, 06:55:12 AM
IF you get scammed you're to young to be on the internet....
There are people who are teenagers and adults who could easily be dumb enough to be scammed. But scamming won't happen that much if NOBODY SHARES THEIR FREAKIN' PASSWORD. Seriously, you're not supposed to give it out to anyone. It'll only lead to trouble. And yeah, regardless of passwords, newbs could be scammed because of their inexperience in the game. But if no one tries to be a douche, I don't see that happening. (Fat chance.  :P )
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lingus

Trading scams can happen other ways as well. Someone will figure out how to take advantage of the trade mechanics. It could be a completely normally functioning, non-bugged trade system that someone will figure out how to exploit. This happens on online games ALL the time. It's a matter of someone putting in an item, letting the other person see it's the item they want, then when the person puts the money or equivilant item in to trade they will switch the item out for a similar looking item that is of much lesser value and the other person will trade before they realize what happened. In addition, trading systems and drop systems in particular have been notorious for methods of duplicating items.

With all of that said, I think slapping some system together (especially a drop system) is the worst possible idea for a game like this. Once people learn the tricks and start exploiting these things, the economy of the game is forever screwed over because anyone can have the best items in the game. And for people who want to play the game legitimately, they get left behind and can't compete. This is the best reason why Meiun should take his time in implementing and thoroughly testing a trade system.

Dragx_Rage

Quote from: Lingus on August 25, 2009, 05:39:56 PM
Trading scams can happen other ways as well. Someone will figure out how to take advantage of the trade mechanics. It could be a completely normally functioning, non-bugged trade system that someone will figure out how to exploit. This happens on online games ALL the time. It's a matter of someone putting in an item, letting the other person see it's the item they want, then when the person puts the money or equivilant item in to trade they will switch the item out for a similar looking item that is of much lesser value and the other person will trade before they realize what happened. In addition, trading systems and drop systems in particular have been notorious for methods of duplicating items.

With all of that said, I think slapping some system together (especially a drop system) is the worst possible idea for a game like this. Once people learn the tricks and start exploiting these things, the economy of the game is forever screwed over because anyone can have the best items in the game. And for people who want to play the game legitimately, they get left behind and can't compete. This is the best reason why Meiun should take his time in implementing and thoroughly testing a trade system.

1st paragraph: Yes, I have seen this and it is a very big trouble in a lot of games.

2nd paragraph:I agree, no point in having something slap dash like this. As this would be a big part of the game, it should be done properly and test before it is introduced into the game.

ARTgames

A new question is does the downside of the trading system less than the upside of having it?

i what to say i think so. but as the game gets bigger im not sure.

I think a bigger problem than scams is the selling of in game items. i think this is what runes the big mmo's.

Mystery

Quote from: ARTgames
A new question is does the downside of the trading system less than the upside of having it?

i what to say i think so. but as the game gets bigger im not sure.
I'm pretty sure the upsides will heavily outweigh the downsides. Plus, many people(me included) are looking forward to trading. The thing you have to understand is, in EVERY MMORPG(more commonly the big ones because there are more people, so more douches), there will always be SOME jerk(s) who tries to scam.

Quote from:  ARTgamesI think a bigger problem than scams is the selling of in game items. i think this is what runes the big mmo's.
Which is why very FEW items (out of all the possible ones)are sold in the SO shops. And mainly newb ones at that.

ARTgames

QuoteThe thing you have to understand is, in EVERY MMORPG(more commonly the big ones because there are more people, so more douches), there will always be SOME jerk(s) who tries to scam.

Which mean the more people you have the more jerks you have. thats why i said im not sure about this when theres a lot of people.

QuoteWhich is why very FEW items (out of all the possible ones)are sold in the SO shops. And mainly newb ones at that.

Im not sure ware your going with that. yeah its true that hat shops sell less powerfull items and you halft to work for the good ones.

but what im saying is that with the in game trading system it makes it easy and possible to sell items and or gold for real money. Which is not a problem for smaller games. But if the game ever plains to get big there will more of a incentive to work for items and sell it. But as i said this is not a big portable until the millions of player mark.

Mystery

Quote from: ARTgames on August 25, 2009, 09:32:05 PM
but what im saying is that with the in game trading system it makes it easy and possible to sell items and or gold for real money. Which is not a problem for smaller games. But if the game ever plains to get big there will more of a incentive to work for items and sell it. But as i said this is not a big portable until the millions of player mark.
It'll take a LOOONNGG time before this game gets to the million-player mark. Which I'm kind of glad about, I prefer MMORPG games with smaller communities. And look at what a great one we have here!  ;)

...Ah, so that's what you were talking about, selling game items for real money. Well, to be honest, I completely agree with you on that front. I never liked the idea how someone could get duplicates of a really good and rare item and end up giving it to a low-level newb who he knows in real life and agrees to give him money. Maybe there could be something in the player agreement about it or whatever.

ARTgames

Quote from: Mystery on August 25, 2009, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on August 25, 2009, 09:32:05 PM
It'll take a LOOONNGG time before this game gets to the million-player mark. Which I'm kind of glad about, I prefer MMORPG games with smaller communities. And look at what a great one we have here!  ;)

...Ah, so that's what you were talking about, selling game items for real money. Well, to be honest, I completely agree with you on that front. I never liked the idea how someone could get duplicates of a really good and rare item and end up giving it to a low-level newb who he knows in real life and agrees to give him money. Maybe there could be something in the player agreement about it or whatever.

i also agree with that post you made. i also think selling items are not fair for meiun ether.

Cactuscat222

I'm getting confused now after reading alot of your posts -

Are we talking about a trade system for SOv3, or a trade and/or drop system for SOv2? My point was that I wouldn't mind a drop system for SOv2. For SOv3, of course I want a trading system, and a thorough and well made one at that, since its a completely new game.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on August 26, 2009, 01:30:28 AM

Are we talking about a trade system for SOv3, or a trade and/or drop system for SOv2? My point was that I wouldn't mind a drop system for SOv2. For SOv3, of course I want a trading system, and a thorough and well made one at that, since its a completely new game.
This is my view too...but seeing as Meiun already turned down the option for "drop trading" in SOv2 because it would be too insecure...and has assured a functional trading system in SOv3...I don't see what is keeping this topic alive?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

ARTgames

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on August 26, 2009, 01:43:55 AM

This is my view too...but seeing as Meiun already turned down the option for "drop trading" in SOv2 because it would be too insecure...and has assured a functional trading system in SOv3...I don't see what is keeping this topic alive?

i guess we can start a new topic or something but was being talked about what the downsides of trading.

Lingus

I kind of answered why just slapping a drop feature on SO2 would be a bad thing. Slapping any kind of feature together that deals with item is just asking for people to exploit it in some way.