News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Mad keyboard problem o_o

Started by krele, May 30, 2010, 04:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

If you cant use your PC then backup and reinstall. Might be a good thing to do if that windoes installation is years old.

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on June 02, 2010, 01:25:06 PM
... backup and reinstall. Might be a good thing to do if that windoes installation is years old.

I concur.  With windows, I like to do a backup and refresh annually.  A lot of people complain about performance degradation with their computers, and they've had them running the same OS installation for years.  It's somewhat like running a car, the longer you run it, the more wear and tear it'll get on both the software and the hardware side.  Simple maintenance sometimes just won't be enough, eventually, it succumbs to just needing a refresh.  Starting with Vista, if it's pre-installed, a lot of manufacturers have the capability of backing up your files for you before re-installing the operating system (not sure if it is an OS capability with Vista, I know it is with Windows 7).

Definitely sounds like it's time for a refresh.

krele

Thanks guys ;)... I'll start burning stuff on dvds ;D

If I make a backup in a wizard, will it save ALL my files or what? I never made backups of that sort, I always burned my important stuff on a medium and then copied them once needed...

ARTgames

Iv never used the backup wizard so I'm not sure. Most of the time i take an extrenal harddrive or flash drive and put irreplaceable files on it. Also once you have your new Windoes make sure you goto windoes update site in IE. You dont want to get any malware.

Scotty

I'm not sure of the native backup client that comes on the Windows OS.  The one's I've used are part of the re-imaging tool that I use to re-image my computer with a fresh copy of the OS.  Essentially, what that does is it takes and saves every file in your C: partition and copies it to something along the lines of C:\BACKUP.  So essentially you have every single file on your C drive copied.  It can take up a wee bit of space, but you can easily go through and take out what you need, then just delete the directory entirely once you are finished, recovering your disk space.

EDIT:  As for what I would do if I didn't have that available when re-installing a Windows OS and wanted to go the DVD route, I'd use 7-zip to zip up the Users directory (on Vista or 7) and split the files into DVD size segments, then burn each segment to a DVD.  If I wanted to go the external hard disk route, I'd just copy over all the files (or if the disk isn't big enough on one, but you have a couple, do the 7-zip split, and place the segments as needed on whatever drives available).

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on June 03, 2010, 09:40:54 AM
I'm not sure of the native backup client that comes on the Windows OS.  The one's I've used are part of the re-imaging tool that I use to re-image my computer with a fresh copy of the OS.  Essentially, what that does is it takes and saves every file in your C: partition and copies it to something along the lines of C:\BACKUP.  So essentially you have every single file on your C drive copied.  It can take up a wee bit of space, but you can easily go through and take out what you need, then just delete the directory entirely once you are finished, recovering your disk space.
I would suggest that he not make an image now with his messed up software. :P Unless you mean for him to reinstall and make an image when everything is working.

Scotty

I never said an image of his current broken OS, I said backup his user folder on his computer, then re-image his computer with a fresh install of his OS.  What good would come from taking a snapshot image of his computer when it's broken?

ARTgames

mmk thats good. :) Whats the name of your image tool?