News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

A thought on Luck

Started by Forum, July 21, 2010, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infection

I kinda like the idea of it, but it would get bad really quickly seeing as people would actually wait and find out what time gives you the most 'luck'.

Though, like most people said, I don't know of any game in any genre/whatever that does this.
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Mystery

Quote from: Infection on July 22, 2010, 09:19:58 PM
Though, like most people said, I don't know of any game in any genre/whatever that does this.
That's because there aren't any.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

JoEL

Quote from: Forum on July 22, 2010, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: JoEL on July 22, 2010, 02:19:45 AM
Quote from: Forum on July 21, 2010, 10:33:12 PM
     On some MMOs when you create your account at a certain time your born "Lucky". And you automatically and are destined to get certain items. Is Stick online like that? Because it seemed that the accounts i've been on have gotten drops from different boss monsters that the other hasn't at an extremely low level to high level :o.

This topic should be renamed "Some bullshit I just made up on luck". No game has this stupid ass "luck" thing you made up.
Shut up sir almost every post you make is negative.

That was negative? Your parents must shelter you a lot. I guess you aren't allowed to go out in public.

Ontopic:

I have the same request as lingus.

Lingus

I kinda like the idea of it, but it would get bad really quickly seeing as people would actually wait and find out what time gives you the most 'luck'.

That's not the only reason why it would get bad. You would have certain people with a definite advantage over other people. Certain people would literally have a better chance at getting items. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The point of a game like this is BALANCE. This would acheive the exact opposite of balance.

Infection

Quote from: Lingus on July 23, 2010, 12:03:04 PM

That's not the only reason why it would get bad. You would have certain people with a definite advantage over other people. Certain people would literally have a better chance at getting items. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The point of a game like this is BALANCE. This would acheive the exact opposite of balance.

Well the reason I would argue against this is because other people would have other advantages then others, for example: (I'm using Stick-Online as a example)

Say I joined during the months of July-September, I would have a certain extra drop percentage for the BA.
But you on the other hand joined during the months April-June, then you would have a extra drop percentage for the DS, and so on and on.
And this would be for the entire calender for each boss, ect.

But, some bosses give better drops then others, so its still un-fair in a way. The way I just explained above would probably be the 'fairest' way.

I still don't think it should/ or have been put it any game at all. Just a interesting concept though.
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Infection on July 23, 2010, 01:42:21 PM
Quote from: Lingus on July 23, 2010, 12:03:04 PM

Well the reason I would argue against this is because other people would have other advantages then others, for example: (I'm using Stick-Online as a example)

Say I joined during the months of July-September, I would have a certain extra drop percentage for the BA.
But you on the other hand joined during the months April-June, then you would have a extra drop percentage for the DS, and so on and on.
And this would be for the entire calender for each boss, ect.

But, some bosses give better drops then others, so its still un-fair in a way. The way I just explained above would probably be the 'fairest' way.

I still don't think it should/ or have been put it any game at all. Just a interesting concept though.

Well those examples don't exactly depict the currently obscure system forum has made up which has came into discussion...Gradual/Relative luck is a horrible idea though. It leeches some excitement and obviously practicality from a random drop system. Without going any further into this obscure and somewhat idiotic concept...I will just simply say this sort of system never has been used by any commercial or mildly popular game...and furthermore never will be used by any sort of successful game. So this topic is essentially is a dead fish that for whatever reason thinks it's alive, only to be consumed by a whale...and after a day or so a dried up whale turd. This topic is a whale turd. Whale turd topic is turdy.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Forum

I just got a confirm from rhampton and the game was a Nintendo DS game with wi-fi called Fire Emblem that usesd some sort of Random Number Generator..
Officially quitted

Chaos

Quote from: Forum on July 23, 2010, 07:30:19 PM
I just got a confirm from rhampton and the game was a Nintendo DS game with wi-fi called Fire Emblem that usesd some sort of Random Number Generator..

*facepalm*

That's...that isn't even...

THAT'S NOT AN MMO.

Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Forum

Quote from: Chaos on July 23, 2010, 10:39:08 PM

*facepalm*

That's...that isn't even...

THAT'S NOT AN MMO.

Ya i had thought it was an MMO but then i found out it was a DS game..
Officially quitted

Seifer

Not to mention RNG's are what are used in nearly every game ever. There are ways to abuse RNG's in some older, console games mind you. I remember having to abuse it in ff8, because I could re-load and the npc's will still have the same bloody cards and rules! Had to walk around a bunch, do shit, kill stuff, to get the RNG to be more random.

Torch

Quote from: Forum
"On some MMOs when you create your account at a certain time your born "Lucky"."

Since when is Fire Emblem for DS "some MMOs"?

Also a Random Number Generator is just what it sounds like, something that generates a random number. Pretty much every game has one and it has nothing to do with being "born lucky". I'd be willing to bet that your shitty concept isn't even IN Fire Emblem for DS.

ARTgames

I'm not siding on any ones side or anything but I wanted to point out that game makers pseudo random number generator which is a Linear Congruential Generator is not true random and just looks like it. Please keep reading.

I'm assuming Meiun is using it (which i believe he is) game makers random. Depending on ware Meiun pulls his entropy to make the key he feeds into the Linear Congruential Generator its possible that some computers are "luckyer" than others. Notice how I said PC, unless he pulls data from accounts for his key you all are right that all accounts will be the same. If he uses personnel PC constants or time or both its possible that some players may have more of an advantage than others when it comes to "luck" because this algorithms is not that good and the keys are too simulator. 

There are more complex algorithms that still are not true random but are a lot better. If Meiun uses this with a lot of good entropy sources (like user input timing, the OS's entropy resources, timing threads, ect) and a good stream cipher like RC4 (and that he using it the right way) it will be way more "fair" then the system he is using now. As I said I'm assuming he using game maker's random.

This is something I hope gets into Stick Online 3.

If anything I hope this post can further educate you on the world of "random". :)

Seifer

Now that is better evidence.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on July 24, 2010, 11:18:06 AM
I'm not siding on any ones side or anything but I wanted to point out that game makers pseudo random number generator which is a Linear Congruential Generator is not true random and just looks like it. Please keep reading.

I'm assuming Meiun is using it (which i believe he is) game makers random. Depending on ware Meiun pulls his entropy to make the key he feeds into the Linear Congruential Generator its possible that some computers are "luckyer" than others. Notice how I said PC, unless he pulls data from accounts for his key you all are right that all accounts will be the same. If he uses personnel PC constants or time or both its possible that some players may have more of an advantage than others when it comes to "luck" because this algorithms is not that good and the keys are too simulator. 

There are more complex algorithms that still are not true random but are a lot better. If Meiun uses this with a lot of good entropy sources (like user input timing, the OS's entropy resources, timing threads, ect) and a good stream cipher like RC4 (and that he using it the right way) it will be way more "fair" then the system he is using now. As I said I'm assuming he using game maker's random.

This is something I hope gets into Stick Online 3.

If anything I hope this post can further educate you on the world of "random". :)

But that still doesn't make any one person, PC, account, time, etc any more likely to get an item drop. It just makes item drops more easy to predict than a true random system (although, it would probably still be impossible to predict). The number generated is still pretty much random (hence, psuedo-random).

Anyways, what I'm familiar with is using the milliseconds or some other number for the exact time that the generator is being run. Not a specific constant number that was grabbed at some time in the past such as the date of the account creation. Every time the RNG is run, it's going to be a different number. Which is why the milliseconds is good to use I guess, because each time it is run it's going to most likely be different from the time before unless it is done within millisecond accuracy.

Seifer

Not necessarily true. One persons computers conditions may give him a better chance at drops, based on what the flawed RPG makers RNG is pulling from.