News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Minecraft

Started by tehrozzy, September 10, 2010, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogdor

So, a few others and I were tossing around the idea of starting over on a new map. Castles, cathedrals, cake pyramids, rainbow hotels, mob towers, Deku Trees, sand spheres, shops, a few towns, a plethora of houses ranging from modest to mansion, and much more. I think this map has seen a lot considering how long it was up. I know this was brought up before, and I did personally reject the idea when it was, but in retrospect many things could be done differently. Starting over on a fresh slate would not only update the pre-existing map (not having to walk a ways to start generating sandstone/lapis lazuli), but it would also free up much more memory on the server's hard disk.

Which brings me to my second point. If the majority of us do indeed wish to start fresh, there will be some new rules. The first and most important rule is to not walk in one direction for thousands of kilometers. I'm personally guilty of this, but due to memory constraints, this will no longer be tolerated. We all understand the need for some privacy, but Minecraft is a big world. Even a few kilometers can get you far enough away to the point of virtual solitude (no pun intended). Though we don't have any means to find and punish those who do, it would be a courtesy to the rest of the community not to jeopardize the limit with wasted chunks eating up space.

However, expeditions will still have a place on the new map. Instead of wandering off in a direction and keeping those chunks saved, we could instead backup the map prior to one, and then reload the map pre-expedition. To avoid being unfair to those players who wish to do other things than partake in one, expeditions will be planned ahead of time, with specific time slots. This way, those that don't wish to partake in one will have a heads up on when not to work on anything. We could also publicly announce it in game for those that don't access these forums shortly before an expedition, just so they don't waste time working on anything only to have it robbed of them.

Another thing I've been mulling over in my head is reintroducing warps. It seems that without an easily accessible way to new towns, considering the maddening bugginess of minecarts, they quickly grow stagnate and fade into obscurity, many times not even being finished. However, if we do go this route, warps won't be a free hand-out. There will be some sort of ridiculous price to obtain a warp point, both encouraging collaboration by forcing a band of players to pool together their resources, and preventing personal uses for warps from regular players. I would much rather do without them and have the minecarts work properly, but I would also like to see new and thriving villages than simply none at all. We had a few successful towns on the old map before this one, and though Chaos' leadership from two out of these three was a huge factor to their success, I can't help but feel that the warps provided that much needed ease of accessibility.

Anyhow, I'd like other people's thoughts on this before we jump the gun, though by the looks of the havok Scotty is reaping as I'm typing this, I think he may have already decided.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Mystery

I'd be up for a new map.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

RayRay

Major ghast spawnage arrived and is revealing a lot of secret entrances in Newarc. Also we're having 128 TNT.

EpicPhailure

1 more secret market to go.

RayRay

What happened before the end:

640 eggs made this.
After trog trapped me, I found this:

After that, I decided to trap HIM.

Then everyone suddenly wanted a new map, so after going crazy, I took this:

EpicPhailure

+support for reset

SCOTTYFEST 2011
---

ARTgames

@Trogdor
I would say yes if Scotty makes the old map available for download. I would like to mess around with the old map knowing I can do anything with it.

Scotty

I've reset the map.  I will post a link to the last map shortly.  In fact, I might as well create a new thread for this stuff.  In the mean time though, the initial city can be warped to:

/warp Mordavia

Ceroblitz

This is probably a good way for me to get back into minecraft...

Titan

Quote from: Ceroblitz on April 05, 2011, 10:17:56 PM
This is probably a good way for me to get back into minecraft...

I defintley agree. Its a lot more fun starting over every once and awhile. New landscape and different buildings to change things up are always nice.
Livin' in a lonely world.

EpicPhailure

Oh, and if anybody missed it, the Gray Market (lesser of the two secret shops) was directly under Mystery's hotel. It contained Bricks, Obsidian, TNT, Gold Blocks, and some other stuff.

But there was little stock of everything and the prices weren't great.

LeGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnzjdAn9qg

Low quality video showing some of the crazy stuff happening during the Newarc apocalypse.

Steves, pigmen, playing some stolen C418 discs, etc.
Whee!

11clock

Diamond Quest News #1: MCedit Troubles

Well I started making Diamond Quest. It's an adventure map designed to give an RPG feel of Minecraft. I'll post some notes I have written:

Quote from: READ_BEFORE_STARTINGBefore you start playing Diamond Quest, here are the rules:

-You are not allowed to destroy blocks unless permitted. You are allowed to destroy mob spawners, though.
-Read notes when told by signs.
-Do not move on without completing current objectives.
-Wool represent NPCs. Do not kill (break) them!
-When approaching a boss (mass of spawners), you must destroy it completely before claiming the diamond that the boss is guarding.
-Don't be alarmed by the large amounts of lava. They act as the map borders and should not be crossed.

Have fun!

Quote from: Note1You have been chosen by the King to defeat the Dark Lord before he destroys Minecraftia.
His castle is protected by a large wall of Obsidian, black rock that can only be destroyed by diamond.
You have been sent of a quest to claim three pieces of diamond.
That is enough to make a powerful pickaxe that can break the wall.
One diamond is located deep in the Dark Forest.
Another diamond is in the Murky Cave.
The final diamond is in the Ancient Pyramid, far into the Dry Desert.
When you claim all 3 diamonds, you can make a diamond pickaxe, destroy the obsidian wall, and venture into the castle and defeat the Dark Lord!
Before you set off on your journey, you'll need to get prepared for the great adventure.

Current Objective:
-Get ready for the adventure.

WHEN YOU COMPLETE THE CURRENT OBJECTIVE, READ NOTE2.

Quote from: Note2You here explosions and sceaming outside!

Current Objective:
-Investgate the town and look for survivors.

Now, like others who make custom maps I'm using MCedit. I understand it so far, but I don't quite get door and bed placement. I need the beds and doors to face the proper direction, but I can't tell what direction they face when I place them. Can someone help me?

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the first town!

The house that is not blown up is where you begin. I'll add the dead NPCs later.

havok

can someone whitelist me (wesrsmith) on scotty's and igu's server

EpicPhailure

@Clock: Consider using live redstone bits as blood.