News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Minecraft

Started by tehrozzy, September 10, 2010, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

@Epic: Good idea!

Diamond Quest News #2: New Arrival-Scotty

So far, so good. I'll add a fence around the town. I placed the survivor, too. Currently working on the path to Scotty's house.
Scotty will be in DiamondQuest as one of the wool NPCs. You bump into him a lot. He plays the role of a hunter. Scotty can tell me what color shirt he wants the character to wear and what he says. The default shirt color is brown. The default text is:

Quote from: Note4Scotty: "What are you doing, bursting into my home like that?
Can't you see I'm having a drink here!?
...What, Newarc has been attacked? How did that happen?
Those blasted Creepers! Ever since the Dark Lord has shown up,
there has been a huge increase of their population!
You must be the one who is after the diamonds, yes?
Well, there is one in the Dark Forest near here.
Wait! before you go running off like you know what you're doing,
you can't survive the Dark Forest in those crappy undergarments!
There is a fresh set of Iron Armor in that chest over there. Put those on.
There are also more stone swords, and a supply of torches in there.
When you're done gearing up, follow the path into the Dark Forest.
Don't stray from the path, or you'll without a doubt get lost.
I'll catch up to you guys. I need to finish my beer, first."

Current Objective:
-Find the diamond in the Dark Forest.

Scotty can PM me about the character.

Scotty

Sorry folks, I found the key to the gates of Hell:

EpicPhailure

Dammit Scotty, not again! The last time you did something like this, we reset the world >:O

Chaos

Me and Scott were chatting this evening and I was looking at plugins for the server, and found this one.  I'm intrigued by it, and so is Scott, but since it would probably DRASTICALLY change the way our server runs, we figured we'd see what other people think about it before deciding anything.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-mcmmo-v0-9-16-rpg-addiction-redefined-permissions-support-617.3505/

Take a look at the topic, check out some of the features, tell us what you think.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

RayRay

Quote from: Chaos on April 07, 2011, 01:14:30 AM
Me and Scott were chatting this evening and I was looking at plugins for the server, and found this one.  I'm intrigued by it, and so is Scott, but since it would probably DRASTICALLY change the way our server runs, we figured we'd see what other people think about it before deciding anything.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-mcmmo-v0-9-16-rpg-addiction-redefined-permissions-support-617.3505/

Take a look at the topic, check out some of the features, tell us what you think.
Read this before. Looked neat, and after a little experience, your wooden pick could act like a stone. I like it.

ARTgames

@chaos
I saw that on the Minecraft forums and also thought it was interesting. So I don't mind to try it also on Scotti's server. If we don't like it we could always go to a backup.

11clock

No. Hate to burst your bubble, but I think that RPG mod is a bad idea for Minecraft. Since the mod reminds me of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, I'll use that as a comparison.

In Oblivion, as you level up the monsters level up. Even after reaching a high level the game will just get more and more difficult.

In Minecraft, it's constant. As you level up, the environment will not get any more difficult. At high levels, the game will be way too easy. Skills are nice, but that makes the game even more easy.

Vote: No

Trogdor

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with 11clock here. Additionally, what makes you think this mod will save each and every person's stats perfectly? Even without mods, Minecraft already has a hard enough time saving redstone and track placement as it is. Even other mods like the economy mod can't properly save a player's money, and you think multiplying that by 10 in the form of stats will be a good idea?

Don't get me wrong, the mod looks neat and well thought through, but I don't need the game getting any easier. Your time spent in Minecraft should be reflected in the creations that you make, and by adding stats you detract from that.

I'll also vote No.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Chaos

Quote from: 11clock on April 07, 2011, 09:39:35 AM
No. Hate to burst your bubble, but I think that RPG mod is a bad idea for Minecraft. Since the mod reminds me of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, I'll use that as a comparison.

In Oblivion, as you level up the monsters level up. Even after reaching a high level the game will just get more and more difficult.

In Minecraft, it's constant. As you level up, the environment will not get any more difficult. At high levels, the game will be way too easy. Skills are nice, but that makes the game even more easy.

Vote: No

Probably a poor choice in example, seeing as that was the most derided and hated feature of Oblivion.  :x
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I can agree with the parts about the stability and persistence of data across server reboots.  At this point, it just seems like we'd be adding something more to break.

Chaos posed the thought to me that previously storing the world's data files in memory may have had something to do with it.  I won't say it couldn't have, considering all database data is stored on physical disk, as well as the main minecraft .jar file (it was just the world/ directory that was stored in memory), but if data is being called by the .jar file and then placed in the world/ directory for things like caching purposes, I could see that.

I want to run a series of controlled reboots tonight to see if we can replicate the bug.  If so, I will submit proper bug reports to the respective plugins.

Steakboy132

QuoteAcrobatics - Finally the days of spraining your ankle have paid off, no longer will you look down a 100 meter drop with fear. With the acrobatics skill your ability to negate fall damage increases. And how do you negate fall damage? By rolling of course, a secret passed down through the ages. Tap into this mysterious 'rolling' ability by falling and training your body. If you're good enough you will never have to worry about fall damage again.

MY BODY IS READY

But seriously, let's give this a shot.
I am Steakboy132 on the forums
I am Source on Stick Online
I am ___Dylan on Minecraft

Chaos

Part of the reason I'm so interested in this is that it would allow the players to fulfill actual 'roles', whether it be around town or on expeditions.  Those with repair skill can be blacksmiths, those with mining skill can be miners,  we can have loggers, scouts, farmers, guardsmen, etc.  It would give one player a reason to do something over another and actually help establish the economy not only as someone having something and someone not, but as someone able to DO something while another might not as easily.

I don't think ASSUMING it will glitch before even trying it out is a good reason to not try it at all.
Jake says:

EpicPhailure

ARTgames

Quote from: Chaos on April 07, 2011, 03:41:50 PM
Part of the reason I'm so interested in this is that it would allow the players to fulfill actual 'roles', whether it be around town or on expeditions.  Those with repair skill can be blacksmiths, those with mining skill can be miners,  we can have loggers, scouts, farmers, guardsmen, etc.  It would give one player a reason to do something over another and actually help establish the economy not only as someone having something and someone not, but as someone able to DO something while another might not as easily.

I don't think ASSUMING it will glitch before even trying it out is a good reason to not try it at all.
I like to try that out. Its not like we cant go back if its not worth it.

tehrozzy

Quote from: EpicPhailure on April 07, 2011, 05:31:09 PM

Whaaa-
i hate lighting bugs like that. just stick a torch or 2 in there. should fix it right up.