News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Anxiety Issues

Started by Freeforall, January 10, 2012, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Quote from: Freeforall on January 22, 2012, 04:59:36 PM
I think it's prozac, it says anti-depressant on it. I wish I didn't have to take it, but if I miss more that one dose, my anxiety goes haywire..
That's interesting, because prozac along with most other antidepressants stays in your system for days or even weeks. If you feel like your anxiety is higher after missing one day, it's probably because of your expectations. If you expect your anxiety to be higher, it probably will be. On the flip side, the prozac (or whatever drug it is) is probably having more of a placebo affect on you than anything else during the days you do take it.

Also, weed is horrible for anxiety. Seriously.

Torch

Speaking from experience, weed is better left for recreational and occasional medicinal use. Blazing to deal with psychological issues is pretty much asking to become dependent.

Weed has its place, it's amazing for bad hangovers, great for things like the flu and colds, and very helpful for things like insomnia and eating disorders. It can also be a fun social experience when used occasionally with friends, particularly when camping, at cottages, skiing, etc.

Weed is NOT great for dealing with anxiety, depression, paranoia, or any other psychological issue. Also, from what I've heard American weed costs like $20/gram which is pretty damn expensive.

11clock

Quote from: Yankyal on January 24, 2012, 12:24:27 AM
Quote from: Scotty on January 23, 2012, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: 11clock on January 23, 2012, 08:05:33 PM
Quote from: God-I-Suck on January 23, 2012, 07:27:57 PM
aha i'm pretty sure smoking marijuana does not give you lung cancer :P

play yugioh. (:
Whatever, it's still bad for you. Don't believe me? I'll give you the list of side effects if you don't. :P

Besides, there are much better ways to help with anxiety.

EDIT: Here ya go. http://www.marijuana-addiction.net/marijuana-side-effects.htm

Here we go with the derailment...

In a drastic attempt to keep this from going into another weed debate, I'll pull a Scott:

Copious amounts of masturbation, warms the soul.
Whatever, it's still bad for you. Don't believe me? I'll give you the list of side effects if you don't.

EDIT: Here ya go. http://anonymousradioshow.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/dangers-of-masturbation.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this picture, but I'm also against masturbation.

Scotty

Quote from: 11clock on January 24, 2012, 04:40:55 PM

play yugioh. (:
Whatever, it's still bad for you. Don't believe me? I'll give you the list of side effects if you don't. :P

In a drastic attempt to keep this from going into another weed debate, I'll pull a Scott:

Whatever, it's still bad for you. Don't believe me? I'll give you the list of side effects if you don't.

EDIT: Here ya go. http://anonymousradioshow.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/dangers-of-masturbation.jpg

Man, you are one helluva a joy kill, lemme tell ya!  :-\

11clock

Quote from: Scotty on January 24, 2012, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: 11clock on January 24, 2012, 04:40:55 PM

play yugioh. (:

Man, you are one helluva a joy kill, lemme tell ya!  :-\
Nah, I get the joke now. Funny. :P

Jake

Wait.. You're against masturbation? That's actually healthy though.

Scotty

Quote from: Jake on January 24, 2012, 11:05:55 PM

In an attempt to prevent derailment, I've caused it.  Eff this, I can't win...

11clock

While drugs is just a thing I'm against because most drugs are addicting and can make you become incredibly dependent on the stuff (and can be very unhealthy), I'm against masturbation because of my religious beliefs. The Bible states that lust is a sin, and I count masturbation as a form of lust. I don't go around and hate people because of it, everyone sins, it's just that it's something I do not want to get into. I understand why people masturbate, though I don't have that problem myself.

Drugs, on the other hand, are something I'd like to argue against. I've been through two health classes, and let me tell you, I saw some horrible things. I still see no reason why people do drugs. They make you dependent, cause problems in your body, and can ruin your life. I have a cousin who smoked, and 30% of his lungs are permanently damaged because of it.

If you're interested in anything else I don't like, I also am an anti-alcoholic (similar to reasons why I don't like drugs) and I don't like tattoos (most people who get tattoos regret it later) and piercings (they gross me out). I'm a fun-killer, indeed. :P

Torch

^ I'm gonna fight this point. Recreational marijuana use is not only great fun, but actually has some real benefits. Medicinal use aside (and there are many medicinal uses), it is fantastic stress-relief, relaxes muscles, and heightens senses for greater appreciation of art, music, food, etc.

It is totally non-addictive, the damage it does to lungs is almost negligible, especially compared to tobacco. In fact, vaporizers and edibles completely eliminate lung damage. The only problem weed can have is in making it habitual, almost exactly the same way video games can be a problem.

Life's not about restraint and self-control, life is about experience. Sometimes, eating a big mac or drinking with your friends makes you a better person, not because of any health benefits but because of the joy of the experience. Same goes for weed. Just stick to social situations and don't be stupid about it, you have nothing to worry about.

Mystery

Quote from: Torch on January 25, 2012, 05:54:54 PM
^ I'm gonna fight this point. Recreational marijuana use is not only great fun, but actually has some real benefits. Medicinal use aside (and there are many medicinal uses), it is fantastic stress-relief, relaxes muscles, and heightens senses for greater appreciation of art, music, food, etc.
It's also illegal in the US. I fully acknowledge that's not a good reason for not doing it(and I'd like to see it legalized, though I have no intention of wanting to partake in its use), but the consequences of someone getting caught do exist. Especially a minor, which 11 is.

As someone who knows 11 very well, I can tell you he simply doesn't want to do any of those things. It's not solely because of his religiousness, either. He just doesn't care about it.

I'm the same way. I've never masturbated(nor have I ever been 'turned on'), never illegally drunk, nor did any drugs. And when I do become of age to drink alcoholic beverages, I'll go to bars and order mixes sans the alcohol.

While I also realize how much I'm in the minority here, I'll stick to that way of living because I don't enjoy doing those things(and since I don't care, I have no reason to risk the minor damaging effects of each just to experience them).

[You should also realize that I'm not conservative in the least nor religious(I'm an atheist), I'm pretty far left. I believe a mixture of all the types of government in different areas is the most effective, and I'd like to see regulated capitalism flourish. But that's for another day, and I don't ever foresee a politics topic popping up here anytime soon.]

It's also probably related to how much I bloody hate taking medicine. I take >12 pills daily, and wish I didn't have to deal with any of them.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Jake

Quote from: 11clock on January 25, 2012, 05:23:25 PM
While drugs is just a thing I'm against because most drugs are addicting and can make you become incredibly dependent on the stuff (and can be very unhealthy), I'm against masturbation because of my religious beliefs. The Bible states that lust is a sin, and I count masturbation as a form of lust. I don't go around and hate people because of it, everyone sins, it's just that it's something I do not want to get into. I understand why people masturbate, though I don't have that problem myself.

Drugs, on the other hand, are something I'd like to argue against. I've been through two health classes, and let me tell you, I saw some horrible things. I still see no reason why people do drugs. They make you dependent, cause problems in your body, and can ruin your life. I have a cousin who smoked, and 30% of his lungs are permanently damaged because of it.

If you're interested in anything else I don't like, I also am an anti-alcoholic (similar to reasons why I don't like drugs) and I don't like tattoos (most people who get tattoos regret it later) and piercings (they gross me out). I'm a fun-killer, indeed. :P
People do drugs to make life less shitty (or a good life even better, if you're optimistic). If you want to become enlightened, start challenging your beliefs. If you don't, well, you'll probably be happy you didn't. I swallowed the red pill a few years ago and wish I could go back.

11clock

Quote from: Jake on January 25, 2012, 08:04:12 PM
Quote from: 11clock on January 25, 2012, 05:23:25 PM

People do drugs to make life less shitty (or a good life even better, if you're optimistic). If you want to become enlightened, start challenging your beliefs. If you don't, well, you'll probably be happy you didn't. I swallowed the red pill a few years ago and wish I could go back.
It makes life less horrible because it makes you FEEL good, but it doesn't change anything in reality? Life can be horrible, that is a fact that you can't escape.

Also, I've questioned my beliefs many times, and all of my questions have been shot down by my twin brother, who knows Christianity like the back of his hand.

And as I've said, I have a cousin who now suffers for the rest of his life due to drugs. I do not wish to follow the same path. Keep the drugs to yourself, I want to enjoy life the way I do now, thank you.

@Torch: "Marijuana contains some of the highest cancer causing substances known. It contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acetone, benzene, toluene, vinyl chloride, dimethylnitrosamine, methylethylnitrosamine, benz(a)anthracene, benz(a)pyrene, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, and many more." (Huber, Gary: Pharm.Biochem.Behavior Vol.40. P.630, 1991.)  There is a secret behind every drug.

Jake

Quote from: 11clock on January 25, 2012, 08:26:06 PM
It makes life less horrible because it makes you FEEL good, but it doesn't change anything in reality? Life can be horrible, that is a fact that you can't escape.
By that logic, taking advil is pointless because it doesn't change reality. Reality is what we perceive it to be. For some people, drugs are a coping mechanism to help them deal with their version of reality, even if there are better ways of doing so. I'm not arguing that drugs are awesome or good for you, but I can empathize with people that do them to cope with a hard life, or even to have some fun at a party.

QuoteAnd as I've said, I have a cousin who now suffers for the rest of his life due to drugs. I do not wish to follow the same path. Keep the drugs to yourself, I want to enjoy life the way I do now, thank you.
Maybe you misunderstood my point a bit. I don't like doing drugs either, but that doesn't mean I can't understand people that do do them and their reasons for doing so.

Quote@Torch: "Marijuana contains some of the highest cancer causing substances known. It contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acetone, benzene, toluene, vinyl chloride, dimethylnitrosamine, methylethylnitrosamine, benz(a)anthracene, benz(a)pyrene, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, and many more." (Huber, Gary: Pharm.Biochem.Behavior Vol.40. P.630, 1991.)  There is a secret behind every drug.
Coffee has over 800 chemicals in it, including rat carcinogens. It also contains over 200 different types of acids. Coffee contains caffeine that can damage your liver over time, and it also contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons with can cause cancer. There have been 5,448 cases of caffeine poisoning since 2008, and 0 cases of over dosing on marijuana. http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-die-from-coffee%26%2347%3Bcaffeine-per-year
http://www.alivefoods.com/coffee.html

11clock

Quote from: Jake on January 25, 2012, 09:16:31 PM
Quote from: 11clock on January 25, 2012, 08:26:06 PM
By that logic, taking advil is pointless because it doesn't change reality. Reality is what we perceive it to be. For some people, drugs are a coping mechanism to help them deal with their version of reality, even if there are better ways of doing so. I'm not arguing that drugs are awesome or good for you, but I can empathize with people that do them to cope with a hard life, or even to have some fun at a party.

I understand that now.

QuoteAnd as I've said, I have a cousin who now suffers for the rest of his life due to drugs. I do not wish to follow the same path. Keep the drugs to yourself, I want to enjoy life the way I do now, thank you.
Maybe you misunderstood my point a bit. I don't like doing drugs either, but that doesn't mean I can't understand people that do do them and their reasons for doing so.

I agree. I need to stop judging people.

Quote@Torch: "Marijuana contains some of the highest cancer causing substances known. It contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acetone, benzene, toluene, vinyl chloride, dimethylnitrosamine, methylethylnitrosamine, benz(a)anthracene, benz(a)pyrene, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, and many more." (Huber, Gary: Pharm.Biochem.Behavior Vol.40. P.630, 1991.)  There is a secret behind every drug.
Coffee has over 800 chemicals in it, including rat carcinogens. It also contains over 200 different types of acids. Coffee contains caffeine that can damage your liver over time, and it also contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons with can cause cancer. There have been 5,448 cases of caffeine poisoning since 2008, and 0 cases of over dosing on marijuana. http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-die-from-coffee%26%2347%3Bcaffeine-per-year
http://www.alivefoods.com/coffee.html

lol I don't drink coffee, but now that I know what's in it I don't think I ever will now. :P I guess you proved your point on marijuana, but I still don't wish to get into that.

stick d00d

I learned to associate drugs/alcohol use with social situations/get togethers.. and it helps. A party, watching a game, being at a game/concert etc. are the only times I have ever used marijuana/alcohol. I could never just drink by myself, would at the very least be drinking with one or two other people. It lightens the mood of everything and (not trying to advocate it) makes me just feel a bit loosened up, because I'm a bit shy around certain people. I definitely respect anyone who doesn't do drugs. I know that I am not addicted because I can control how much I drink and when I drink and have only smoked pot twice in my entire life, so it really just comes down to self control in my opinion.