News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

TERA Online

Started by Meiun, February 04, 2012, 01:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

havok

I thought i would post this for anyone that wanted to do Tera open Beta the code should work for everyone. even if you cant buy it right now you can play those 2-3 days and lock your username in :p how to see some more people play this its a great game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TERA Open Beta Game Code:
TERABETA

This game code grants access to TERA's Open Beta Test.

Welcome to the TERA Open Beta Test; TERABETA is your game code to play. The TERA Open Beta Test grants you a limited time opportunity to try out TERA for free!
To start your TERA adventure:
1. Create your En Masse account at https://account.enmasse.com.
2. Use the ?Enter Code? feature on the Account Overview page to type in your game code: TERABETA
3. Download TERA from the Account Overview page and install.
4. Play TERA!
Make sure to start downloading the game well ahead of time so you're ready to play when the Open Beta Test starts on April 20.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Beta Test Hours:

Pre-order to start playing in the Open Beta Test one day early!
? Open Beta Test (Pre-order Exclusive Event):
Thursday, April 19 @ 12:00 PM PDT - Friday, April 20 @ 12:00 PM PDT
? Open Beta Test (Open Event):
Friday, April 20 @ 12:00 PM PDT - Monday, April 23 @ 11:59 PM PDT

venuse

my main char is named thimb. i think he is in freehold

Meiun

Nice! How are you liking it so far Venuse? The game really doesn't start in my opinion till you get to level 20 and start fighting BAMs, which feels just like Monster Hunter boss fights in my opinion. I Absolutely love the game. It has some of the most exciting gameplay of any online game I've played.

Both myself, as well as a number of friends (including Havok) are on the Feral Valley (PvP) server.

venuse

im enjoying it alot, im using a gamepad, the only gripe i have so far is i cant find a camera align button option that is common in monster hunter. since moves like stand fast i think, for the tanks are based on your camera position even when you have it set to character, it means if the enemy is besides you you cant block their atks unless you realign your camera.

also my char is a level 6 tank by the way

Scotty

I dunno, I'm not that excited about the game.  I'm by no means someone who gets addicted to MMOs (I get bored more often than not and just give up) though, so I don't know how much of an effect that has on my perception of it.  Everyone's jumping for joy that it has great combat, and as far as I played in beta, that's all it had that was anything more than meh.  Even the combat though, while it isn't tab-button-mashing like every other MMO, it's too repetitive.  Every monster might have a couple of different attacks unique to that monster, they only have a couple of different attacks.  Then there's the text chat that's been around since the dawn of MMO's, the menu interfaces which look a lot like WoW (even the font if I recall), the same missions you see in any other game, and the cut-scenes (someone correct me if I'm wrong) where their conversations are nothing more than static camera views on people waving their hands, shifting their body weight, etc, while chat is displayed for you to read.  Nothing exciting or new about any of that.  If anything, it's disappointing.

I saw a video on youtube where it appeared to either be in Korean or Japanese (don't recall), where they were fighting some huge boss for what had to be 20+ minutes, and all it was was 20+ minutes of the same maneuvers, the same attacks, the same everything until the boss was killed.  Really wasn't exciting to watch.

SW:TOR honestly had more revolution in their MMO, and they're losing subscribers like crazy as of the last couple of months.  I'm curious to see how successful this game goes on to be.  Don't take my negative-Nancy approach as the determining factor for whether or not you should play though.  Some people really enjoy it, and I'm glad they do, just don't know whether or not I'll put much effort into the game.

venuse

although i havent played it very long, at most 3 hrs, i can already see what you are saying, especially the cut scenes.  im one of those people that hates most mmos, the boring grinding of most mmos and their cooky cutter point and click gameplay just tick me off. the simple fact that i get to control my character and the fact that my ability to physical control my character has even a small impact on my overall performance makes me interested.

ps monster hunter still feels like it has better combat :P

pss i got a char on the feral valley server named Brogo, this he is a berserker, what are all your chars names

Meiun

You honestly can't make any kind of opinion until you've played past level 20. Like i said, the game might as well not even have started prior to that. Prior to that i can definitely agree with what your saying, but not at all afterwards. Heck, you dont even get off the boring intro island till level 11.  Varying a bit with what class you play, fighting 20+ monsters is literaly just as exciting and diverse in their course of actions and combat behaviors as monster hunter. Dodging, defending, and moving, as well as protecting teamates is utterly vital. Many of them can kill you in 1 or 2 hits if you dont block or dodge. While if you are extremely good you can go through a whole fight while taking little or even no damage. The questing is nothing special, but with gameplay that fun it hardly matters to me. If i cared about story the most id just read a book. I dont normaly get remotely addicted to mmo's, and in fact hate most mmo's out today. But tera is definitely an exception.

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on May 02, 2012, 08:46:29 PM
You honestly can't make any kind of opinion until you've played past level 20.

I'm sorry, but like I said, MMOs are a hard sell for me, and if I have to waste the first couple of days in the game not enjoying it before I can actually enjoy just the improved battles...  That's not an admirable quality in a game, at least to me.  Just want to emphasize, it's just my opinion.

Like i said, the game might as well not even have started prior to that. Prior to that i can definitely agree with what your saying, but not at all afterwards. Heck, you dont even get off the boring intro island till level 11.  Monsters and dungeons are literaly just as exciting and diverse in their course of actions and combat tactics as monster hunter, and dodging/defending and moving, as well as protecting teamates etc is utterly vital. The questing is nothing special, but with gameplay that fun it hardly matters to me.

Ok, so I'll let my imagination wander and assume that the fights get more interesting (rather, more difficult from what you've said previously) past level 20, but there's still the identical UI to every other MMO, presumably the same silent cut scenes, text based chats, probably a lot of similar quest styles, etc...  Harder combat is the only difference.  Sure, the challenge may be interesting in that it isn't as easy as the first island, but from the video(s) I've seen , it looks like you'll quickly discover just about every attack within the first minute of the battle, and the rest just becomes a daze of left-mouse-button mashing, much like the ranged attacks in the video I linked, with maybe some redundant use of combos.  Again, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, or not.

If i cared about story the most id be reasing a book, or just playing a jRPG even.

Again, just a difference between myself and others.  I  get a huge brain boner from a good plot.  To me, some of my favorite games were ones such as Metal Gear (Solid), Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, Dragon Age, because of their story lines.  The game play was often very, very good which is the other key component to it's success (in my mind), but it needs to have both to really hit home and get me to play it all the way through.  Lack either game play or story, when it should have both, and I grow tired of it quicker than games that excel at both.

Again, these are just my opinions, I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree, and I certainly don't want to run away anyone from at least trying the game, just my observations and opinions.  I encourage everyone to go and make their own opinions and judgement of the game.

EDIT: to at least try to not come off as a total snob, I do want to commend the game for having the more interactive combat system it has implemented.  To me, it may not be enough, but it sure is a step in the right direction for MMO's.  Trying to incorporate this sort of combat into an MMO must have required tremendous amount of work, and likely requires limitations elsewhere, I just wish that it didn't.  It could have so much more potential if they could learn from other MMO's that have had hints of success recently (TOR's voice driven conversations, Metal Gear Rising's promising combat engine, destructible terrain, etc...).  Am I asking for a little much?  I'll admit I am, but someone has to eventually break the mold, flip off the standard that was put forth years ago, and do something entirely new.

Meiun

To me, gameplay is by far the most important feature. The concept of an MMO is awesome to me, yet I simply can not be remotely interested by any game that involves auto-attack or auto-targeting. This game is a massive leap away from that, and is therefore infinitely better because of it. While the video you posted it certainly serves as a horrid example of it, I really am not lying when I say that many of the BAM fights are on par with monster hunter in terms of the level of action and excitement. The game gets better after 20 for much much more than simply difficulty. Part of the problem is that the video you posted was primarily of a lancer, who not only does not dodge, but puts a lot of effort into keeping the monster in one place (when it's natural tendency is to be leaping about).

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, as you already gave some valid reasons why the game is not for you. I just wanted to point out that a few of your claims were not quite accurate.

Also (on a side note), not that it should be the most important feature of any game, but the graphics and world design is gorgeous.

T-Rok

I too have never been much of a fan of MMO's. Something about them just bores me to death. I'll certainly give the game a try if a free trial is ever available, but I'm not paying for it until I know what I'm getting into and whether or not I like it.

Seifer

Why is Tera better than GW2?

Meiun

Quote from: Seifer on May 03, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
Because GW2 doesn't have real action combat. Yes, it has more action than many other MMO's. But still doesn't cut it in my book. Like I said earlier, if a game has auto targeting or auto attack I have an extremely hard time enjoying it. Although I am still sure GW2 will be a pretty great game overall.

havok

Quote from: Meiun on May 03, 2012, 07:11:31 PM
Quote from: Seifer on May 03, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
Because GW2 doesn't have real action combat. Yes, it has more action than many other MMO's. But still doesn't cut it in my book. Like I said earlier, if a game has auto targeting or auto attack I have an extremely hard time enjoying it. Although I am still sure GW2 will be a pretty great game overall.

Tip never mess with Meiun and call something auto aim when its not :p. Are guide has a hard time understanding the difference. All tho i think they got it now.

DarkTrinity

It looks like something I'd like to try sometime but I don't really want to pay for it. Will wait for a private server... ;D

Meiun

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 04, 2012, 07:41:32 PM
It looks like something I'd like to try sometime but I don't really want to pay for it. Will wait for a private server... ;D
For shame!