News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

TERA Online

Started by Meiun, February 04, 2012, 01:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Does IGN's The Good and The Bad at one week article hold any merit to anyone here who's been playing for a week? 

Turkey

I've been playing for about 5 days and I would have to agree with all the stuff he mentioned.
(Level 21 btw.)
I have been playing solo this entire time and it seems that things are about to get more party based. (Which i don't really like unless I'm with people i know. So, not looking forward to this. As I type this is also makes me wonder why I'm playing an MMO.)

Meiun

Granted I don't always place a lot of value in the opinions of the IGN writers, I agree with most of what that article says. Although the part about skill progression stopping at 40 is definitely not true. I can't vouch for every class, but I know firsthand that there are a number of good ones for many that you don't get till past that. Not to mention that at level 20 you start learning skill "glyphs" which basically allow you to further customize and enhance skills, and many of the best ones of those you can't get until past 40. I definitely agree with the part about the first area being a "slog" though. It really doesn't give new players a proper or very exciting intro to what the rest of the game is like at all. The part about female characters mostly looking somewhat slutty is also true, but I'm sure a number of people would move that to the positive section as oppose to the negative.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Meiun on May 09, 2012, 05:46:16 PM
Granted I don't always place a lot of value in the opinions of the IGN writers, I agree with most of what that article says. Although the part about skill progression stopping at 40 is definitely not true. I can't vouch for every class, but I know firsthand that there are a number of good ones for many that you don't get till past that. Not to mention that at level 20 you start learning skill "glyphs" which basically allow you to further customize and enhance skills, and many of the best ones of those you can't get until past 40. I definitely agree with the part about the first area being a "slog" though. It really doesn't give new players a proper or very exciting intro to what the rest of the game is like at all. The part about female characters mostly looking somewhat slutty is also true, but I'm sure a number of people would move that to the positive section as oppose to the negative.

And how is that different than pretty much every other MMO? lol. I think WoW is the only one I've played where the females are actually wearing legitimate clothing/armor. But yeah, that's how you get guys to play, when they have sexy looking pixels to look at while playing.

venuse

you know whats sad, im already getting bored of tera online and my zerker is only lev 29 :P

Meiun

Quote from: venuse on May 14, 2012, 06:16:54 PM
you know whats sad, im already getting bored of tera online and my zerker is only lev 29 :P
I'm level 45 and have yet to have that problem. I get bored with almost every other MMO almost immediately too. But I guess it depends what your looking for in the game. It still can be a bit repetitive as much as most other MMO's, but to me, the types of things that are repetitive are actually super fun in TERA (where as they are boring in most other games i've played).

DarkBlade325

I played a bit of the beta, but for me it just seemed like an over-glorified Vindictus.

I had fun with it for a while though, without a doubt. But it's not the type of game I'd spend a monthly fee on.

Scotty

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Scotty on May 26, 2012, 01:29:55 PM
Ouch...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/25/tera-review

Lol at some of the comments...
"The point of this game is to be as naked as possible...it might have sounded good in theory maybe but it definitely isn't working out"
"i knew this game would be...*puts on shades* TERAble!!!
YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!"

I feel like that's what a lot of MMOs do though, they make their graphics all super shiny and awesome but don't put enough into the story line. Though the combat style does sound fun and that's why I played Lunia for such a long time was because of the you-actually-have-to-aim-and-dodge combat style.

havok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 26, 2012, 02:08:05 PM
Quote from: Scotty on May 26, 2012, 01:29:55 PM
Ouch...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/25/tera-review

Lol at some of the comments...
"The point of this game is to be as naked as possible...it might have sounded good in theory maybe but it definitely isn't working out"
"i knew this game would be...*puts on shades* TERAble!!!
YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!"

I feel like that's what a lot of MMOs do though, they make their graphics all super shiny and awesome but don't put enough into the story line. Though the combat style does sound fun and that's why I played Lunia for such a long time was because of the you-actually-have-to-aim-and-dodge combat style.

the story line is not as bad as there making it out to be and i haven't even finished it. I will agree with parts for what they said but some of it is a bit over rated what they said. I personal love the game and like you said the graphics and combat is amazing. I know even after me Meiun and Bella max we will still all play and do Bosses and what not and ever pvp. At least till they add more. Any how i guess my point is that the game is still fairly new i would go to judging it just yet. I personal give the game a 8.5

Scotty

Quote from: havok on May 26, 2012, 03:17:48 PM
the story line is not as bad as there making it out to be and i haven't even finished it. I will agree with parts for what they said but some of it is a bit over rated what they said.

I'm genuinely curious as to what corrections you would have to the review regarding this.

havok

here you go Scotty sorry im not going to go into more deal for you. all so there are my personal beliefs.

1)Tera, by contrast, requires skill-based swinging and fleet-footed acrobatics, leading to adrenaline-pumping last-second dodges against even the most mundane of foes. Also, which would you rather play as: an ugly old gnome or an adorable (and vaguely horrifying) dog person? I rest my case. (I love that comment lol)

2)On one hand, Tera would've made for an excellent neanderthal to kick off modern MMOs' evolutionary cycle. Matched against said modern MMOs, however, Tera's non-combat elements (quest structure, crafting, story, PvP, etc.) feel woefully behind the times ? like vanilla WoW as opposed to post-Cataclysm WoW. It is, to be frank, the Big Foot of massively multiplayer role-playing games. Sure, it'll put up a hell of a fight if backed into a corner, but at the end of the day, it feels like an out-of-place missing link ? not entirely stuck in the past, but definitely not ahead of the curve. (personally dont agree with that)

3)Unfortunately, the rest of Tera ends up feeling like a flavorless outer shell you have to crush your teeth on to reach its BAM kabiff-pow-thwacking core. The game's opening area ? which will eat up five or so hours of your time ? varies from mediocre to out-and-out awful, and even an inventive (though brief) prologue that lets you try out your class at level 20 squanders its potential on a confusing, awkwardly paced execution. And while things finally pick up at around level 20, questing actually gets more mundane as you progress, with meaningful skill gain perplexingly cutting off at around level 40. (i agree with it not really picking up till level 20 to a extent. to me its more so getting out of the starting island. however the way he talks about hitting level 40 and it ending i don't agree with. Yes i know he didn't say it he is more so hinting it)

4)I am, however, rendering a verdict on what Tera is right now ? not what it will be in a number of months. And while its combat system is a bonafide cannon ball into an otherwise stock-still (Vindictus excluded) sea of fantasy MMOs, a heavy anchor of mediocrity nearly sinks the whole production. There's nothing damningly egregious about, say, Tera's same-y quests or generic swords 'n' sorcery 'n' giant apocalyptic robot tale, but it all comes together to suck away any sense of vibrancy or moment-to-moment fun. Bluehole's MMO debut occasionally makes desperate, clawing grasps at greatness (see: BAMs, dungeons, combat's rarely applied nuances), but seems mostly content to trudge along nonchalantly without ever really applying itself. I'd hand this one an ?A for effort,? but most of Tera ? beyond its combat ? is out-and-out lazily designed. No doubt there's a wealth of promise here, but as is, I can only recommend a subscription to avid players who've completely exhausted other, more robust options like WoW or Rift, or absolutely cannot wait any longer for Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World. (i do not believe that the game is out and out lazily designed i thin is was amazingly designed) 

havok

Quote from: havok on May 26, 2012, 06:33:11 PM
here you go Scotty sorry im not going to go into more deal for you. all so there are my personal beliefs.

1)Tera, by contrast, requires skill-based swinging and fleet-footed acrobatics, leading to adrenaline-pumping last-second dodges against even the most mundane of foes. Also, which would you rather play as: an ugly old gnome or an adorable (and vaguely horrifying) dog person? I rest my case. (I love that comment lol)

2)On one hand, Tera would've made for an excellent neanderthal to kick off modern MMOs' evolutionary cycle. Matched against said modern MMOs, however, Tera's non-combat elements (quest structure, crafting, story, PvP, etc.) feel woefully behind the times ? like vanilla WoW as opposed to post-Cataclysm WoW. It is, to be frank, the Big Foot of massively multiplayer role-playing games. Sure, it'll put up a hell of a fight if backed into a corner, but at the end of the day, it feels like an out-of-place missing link ? not entirely stuck in the past, but definitely not ahead of the curve. (personally dont agree with that)

3)Unfortunately, the rest of Tera ends up feeling like a flavorless outer shell you have to crush your teeth on to reach its BAM kabiff-pow-thwacking core. The game's opening area ? which will eat up five or so hours of your time ? varies from mediocre to out-and-out awful, and even an inventive (though brief) prologue that lets you try out your class at level 20 squanders its potential on a confusing, awkwardly paced execution. And while things finally pick up at around level 20, questing actually gets more mundane as you progress, with meaningful skill gain perplexingly cutting off at around level 40. (i agree with it not really picking up till level 20 to a extent. to me its more so getting out of the starting island. however the way he talks about hitting level 40 and it ending i don't agree with. Yes i know he didn't say it he is more so hinting it)

4)I am, however, rendering a verdict on what Tera is right now ? not what it will be in a number of months. And while its combat system is a bonafide cannon ball into an otherwise stock-still (Vindictus excluded) sea of fantasy MMOs, a heavy anchor of mediocrity nearly sinks the whole production. There's nothing damningly egregious about, say, Tera's same-y quests or generic swords 'n' sorcery 'n' giant apocalyptic robot tale, but it all comes together to suck away any sense of vibrancy or moment-to-moment fun. Bluehole's MMO debut occasionally makes desperate, clawing grasps at greatness (see: BAMs, dungeons, combat's rarely applied nuances), but seems mostly content to trudge along nonchalantly without ever really applying itself. I'd hand this one an ?A for effort,? but most of Tera ? beyond its combat ? is out-and-out lazily designed. No doubt there's a wealth of promise here, but as is, I can only recommend a subscription to avid players who've completely exhausted other, more robust options like WoW or Rift, or absolutely cannot wait any longer for Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World. (i do not believe that the game is out and out lazily designed i thin is was amazingly designed)

over all 7.6

Presentation:8
Graphics:9
Sound:6
Gameplay:8 BAMs force players outside their boxes, (he is talking about bams haven't to take more the one person its a MMO you will need friends in the game lol)sorry for the bad grammer and explaining that.
Lasting Appeal:7 Quests and enemy types repeat themselves so often as to make leveling one giant, undifferentiated sprint to the finish(as meiun said in one of his comment i personal like that.yes it repeats its self a but its fun unlike most games that do)

Meiun

As I stated earlier, I don't place much value in the IGN reviews. Always found them to be rather biased. A lot of the stuff they said made sense, but I really don't agree with how much value those negative things hold in contrast to the positive things. The only truly negative thing they had to say about it was that they used the original recipe that was by the most popular MMO ever when it came out a few years back, and is still extremely popular to this day? I apparently am in the minority with this one, but if I found a game fun 6 years ago, I tend to still find it fun today. TERA took the original recipe set by a lot of the old-school top MMO's, and fixed the one thing that truly made them suck balls, which is also by far the most important part of the games. Even IGN didn't deny they nailed the combat/action. I personally have no quarrel with the fact that it doesn't have some of the other latest "innovations," seeing as none of them have ever been close to enough to make me enjoy any of the other MMO's out there.

I absolutely can see why some people might not like it as much as I do, but the fact that many people do is why I don't place much value in the reviews that IGN sometimes writes. Either way, I've always felt that it's better to have a game that is absolutely loved by some than a game that is simply liked by everyone (unfortunately, business logic doesn't always agree with this strategy).