News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

This is why I rail against DRM and 'Always Online'...

Started by Chaos, May 19, 2012, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on May 23, 2012, 06:08:45 PM
Now Chaos, get your ass on the internet-required Diablo III that you bought and installed!

Now the true colors of this thread come to life...

Seriously just get the damn game Chaos. Internet connection required or not the game is mad http://youtu.be/KqhfLTsEeZg .
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

ARTgames

Quote from: ARTgames on May 23, 2012, 05:03:50 PM
I do feel your mistaken. You can still get a snes or nes and play the games if you really wanted to or just have kept them if you happen to care like Chaos does.

The point that I was trying to make was that I would have to go through excessive amounts of effort to play the games, not that I can't.  I would have to find a console that works, a game cartridge that works, or an emulator that can run a game, whatever the case might be.  Just like how 20 years from now I'm going to have to find a game that has been cracked with online requirements removed illegally in order to play it should the servers go offline.  Either way, it's more effort than say, going to steam and 3 clicks later having the game playable.
I am kinda confused as to what you where saying then and in the past then.

Quote from: ARTgames on May 23, 2012, 05:03:50 PM
Are you actually against people trying to save this type of media for future consumption or do you not mind if they do? I'm fine if you really don't care about the availability of playing these games later on but actively going against the people who do would be something that I would like for you the elaborate on. That is if you even are against this sort of thing.

I don't know why you got the perception that I am, this is just my standing on my ability to play games from long ago.  To answer your question plainly: no, I am not against people being able to play games from long ago, in any era.  I agree, it would be fantastic if we could preserve these games for all time, so that our great-great-great-great-great-great grandtallywackers can see what we did for fun, I just don't get worked up over the thought that someday it's going away.
Sorry for my wording as I did not really want to say that you where. I was just asking to make sure. But other than that you answered what I wanted to know and I am content.

Quote from: Scotty on May 23, 2012, 06:08:45 PMNow Chaos, get your ass on the internet-required Diablo III that you bought and installed!
lol, this (online drm thingy) would probably not stop me from getting the game but i'm not Chaos.

Scotty

No need to apologize.  As I stated previously, these are merely my opinions, which I'm entitled to.  Luckily for the topic, no one has tried to argue my opinions.  That would just be silly.

ARTgames

Chaos

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 23, 2012, 06:20:29 PM
Now Chaos, get your ass on the internet-required Diablo III that you bought and installed!

Now the true colors of this thread come to life...

Seriously just get the damn game Chaos. Internet connection required or not the game is mad http://youtu.be/KqhfLTsEeZg .

I bought the game yesterday, tard.  I'm waiting for my new GPU to arrive, since my old one died a week or two ago.  And just because I bought and intend to play the game doesn't mean I can't hate the fact that it requires you to always be online.  There is absolutely no good excuse for why the game can't have an offline single-player mode.

The problem with what you were saying Scott, is that all those things ARE doable.  All those games ARE playable.  You can buy old game consoles and games online.  We have DOSbox.  We have emulators for various consoles.  Hell, we have Good Old Games, if you want a more legal route.

Diablo 1 isn't unplayable, you can play the ENTIRE game from beginning to end in single player quite easily.  Diablo 1's multiplayer is even playable from beginning to end, because it has LAN (though you have to find an IPX wrapper or use a really old OS).  Guess what 2 things Diablo 3 doesn't have?

Here's a real good reason that I'm sure you'll be able to understand where I'm coming from, Scott:

Splinter Cell 5: Conviction.  Let's say, for example, that Splinter Cell 9 or something comes out in the future.  You want to go play the other games so you can get the full story, so you go back and play Splinter Cell 1, 2, 3, 4...  Suddenly, you reach #5 and UH OH.  Ubisoft decided to be dickholes and make Splinter Cell 5 require you to always be online!  And, for the sake of argument, they did it with 6, 7, and 8.  Now, being as those were (theoretically) released a while ago, some of them are no longer supported.  Now what are you supposed to do?  You can't play some of the games in the series and get the full story, cause now some of the games are offline.  And, let's face it, reading a plot summary is NOT the same experience.

What if half the Metal Gear series required you to be online?  Would you be upset then?

The preservation of game culture is actually one of the major reasons I SUPPORT the ability to "pirate".  :T

If/When I have children of my own, I intend to make Super Mario Bros the first game they play.   :)

P.S. @Scott:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/kings_quest_1_2_3
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/kings_quest_4_5_6

Go buy 'em, thundercunt.   ;)
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Jake

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 23, 2012, 04:23:17 PM
I find it kind of unfair I don't get to talk with my great grandmother just because she's dead. Somebody should fix that too.  >:(
A more accurate analogy would be that somebody killed your grandma for a nickel.

Scotty

Yankyal

QuoteOne other common topic we?ve seen in the forums is the always-connected experience, and the perception that the online requirement is nothing but an ineffective form of copy protection that has already been cracked. While we?ve never said that this requirement guarantees that there will be no cheating or game cracks, it does help us battle those problems (we have not found any fully functional cracks). More important to us is that the online requirement is critical for the long-term integrity of the game experience. I fully understand the desire to play Diablo III offline; however, Diablo III was designed from the beginning to be an online game that can be enjoyed with friends, and the always-online requirement is the best way for us to support that design. The effectiveness of the online elements -- including the friends list and cross-game communication; co-op matchmaking; persistent characters that you can use by yourself, with others, and in PvP; and some of our customer support, service, and security components -- is tied directly to the online nature of the game. These and other online-enabled features are essential to our design for Diablo III. That said, there are still improvements we believe we can make to expand the online experience and make co-op play even more rewarding, and this will remain one of our priorities moving forward. Overall, while there are some downsides to the online-only approach, I still believe this was the best long-term decision for the game.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080663481

Well !@#$, it's staying for good. Hope you guys enjoy rubberbanding and lagging on singleplayer.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Chaos

I don't.  And it's why I've only played the game once since I got it.  Bravo, Blizzard.   :-\
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Hey Chris, take your blood pressure meds before clicking this link.

Chaos

Quote from: Scotty on July 30, 2012, 12:28:30 PM
Hey Chris, take your blood pressure meds before clicking this link.

Why?  Afraid I'll die laughing?   ::)
Jake says:

Scotty

Chaos

Quote from: Scotty on July 30, 2012, 07:30:31 PM
One can dream.

In that case, why'd you tell me to take my blood pressure meds?  Getting conflicting signals, man.
Jake says:

krele

That's why I arrrrr the games that do this even if I was going to buy it. I should be able to play the game I about whenever the !@#$ I want. Adding this kind of protection is disrespectful to people that actually buy games. It's a slap.

So I'll enjoy the free rum thxbai ~