News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Wii-U is releasing on November 18th

Started by Scotty, September 13, 2012, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

So it's released in the US now. It's kind of sad that I have another 12 days to wait. But has anyone here picked there's up yet? And what games did you get for it?

DarkBlade325

I don't know if I want it yet. Though granted, I havn't done much research on the Wii-U.

To those who are getting it this Christmas or whenever, lemmie know how you like it!

Scotty

Some positives.  Some negatives:

http://gizmodo.com/5961513/wii-u-review-the-future-is-in-good-hands

The big thing that caught my eye, and isn't all that surprising is the battery life of the controller.  Having to recharge it every couple of hours is definitely bound to get annoying.

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Scotty on November 19, 2012, 07:37:22 AM

The big thing that caught my eye, and isn't all that surprising is the battery life of the controller.  Having to recharge it every couple of hours is definitely bound to get annoying.

Yeah the 3-5 hour battery life certainly isn't ideal. However, Nintendo kind of lighten the load with the long (8 foot, I believe) charging cable so you can have it charging while you play.

11clock

Quote from: Scotty on November 19, 2012, 07:37:22 AM

Like what happened with the 3DS, a third party company is likely to release a battery pack for the controller.

T-Rok

I'm certainly going to be trying to get one as soon as I can. Just so that I'm prepared when a Kingdom Hearts (likely, given the history of the games) and Monster Hunter release occurs.

Scotty

Make sure if you have one already, that you don't interrupt power or internet connectivity (to the best of your ability of course) while updating with the day-one firmware update:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/reports-botched-firmware-update-leading-to-bricked-wii-u-consoles

People are saying that it does take some time to install (1+ hour(s)), so keep your fingers off the router during the time!

RayRay

I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for Christmas, but the rest of my family wants to wait for the price to drop. I'm not sure how long it will be until it does, because it's probably not going to be as short as the 3DS's price drop.

Scotty

Quote from: RayRay on November 19, 2012, 12:49:30 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for Christmas, but the rest of my family wants to wait for the price to drop. I'm not sure how long it will be until it does, because it's probably not going to be as short as the 3DS's price drop.

The 3DS' price drop was due to it's sudden drop in sales, mere months after it was released.  If the Wii-U drops nearly as quickly, I will be sorely disappointed.  I really think that at this point, it's up to the developers to push out content, in order to prevent that.  The up-swing is Nintendo saw what happened with its 3DS sales, knows the reasons, and has hopefully learned its lesson(s).

A reason to wait, if this is a priority for people, a lot of the service which were originally promised (e.g. Netflix) were pushed back to December.  It's a bad mark for Nintendo, but it does give customers a good reason to wait.  I wouldn't bank on the price going down before Christmas though, as that is when sales for it are going to be the highest so far.  If the price drops in the next month and a half, Nintendo is boned.

Another interesting note, people are already tearing apart the console and controller, discovering it has some intense hardware, some of which provides capabilities yet to be tapped into by the current release of games.  On top of it all, apparently DIY fixes for the console (not necessarily the controller) are going to be very easy given the physical design of the console: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+U+Teardown/11796

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Scotty on November 19, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: RayRay on November 19, 2012, 12:49:30 PM

The 3DS' price drop was due to it's sudden drop in sales, mere months after it was released.  If the Wii-U drops nearly as quickly, I will be sorely disappointed.  I really think that at this point, it's up to the developers to push out content, in order to prevent that.  The up-swing is Nintendo saw what happened with its 3DS sales, knows the reasons, and has hopefully learned its lesson(s).

This ^^

And I think that is why the Wii U started with a relatively low price point to avoid the need for a price drop in the near future. Also when you compare the launch line up of games on the Wii U compared to the 3DS the Wii U absolutely obliterates it. The 3DS had no signature Mario game nor did it have something like Nintendo Land to really show off it's features, all the 3DS really had was Pilotwings, Steel Diver and Street Fighter IV (of which the first to turned out to be rather dull games). The Wii U has 2 great first party games as well as some strong third-party games/ports (Tekken, Scribblenauts, Arkham City, etc.)

So RayRay, if you are going to wait for a significant price drop you'll be waiting a while I think and it may be in your best interest to pick one up soon.

Meiun

Yeah, I wouldn't count on a Wii U price drop any time soon at all. Like they said, the 3DS only had one so early because sales started off real slow for it, seeing as they had next to no good games anywhere near the systems launch. Wii U on the other hand seems to be off to a fairly strong start. Also (someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), but I also believe I read somewhere that for the time being Nintendo is selling the console itself at a small loss profit wise, so I doubt they'd take an even bigger one until their manufacturing costs can go down.

DarkBlade325

I need to look up the library of games it has as of yet. Obviously it'll have the Marios and Zeldas, but I havn't seen the games from other parties yet.

And yeah I agree, the Wii-U is set at a pretty low price given what happened with the 3DS.

Matty_Richo

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on November 20, 2012, 02:24:32 AM
I need to look up the library of games it has as of yet. Obviously it'll have the Marios and Zeldas, but I havn't seen the games from other parties yet.

And yeah I agree, the Wii-U is set at a pretty low price given what happened with the 3DS.

At the moment the big two games that, from what I've heard, most people with a Wii U have are Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U.
But I am also considering picking up Tekken on launch day, I'm just waiting for a couple of reviews to come out.

As for the future They have already announced Smash Bros. and Pikmin 3, the latter of which I am extremely excited about. And we know there is a Zelda coming to Wii and there'll be a new 3D Mario game. I'm also hoping that Retro Studios start growing and making a few more games than just one every 3 years or so. I'm also hoping they revive F-Zero as I think it could really benefit from HD and the new tablet.

RayRay

Well in that case, I'll probably not be able to get a Wii U then. I was really wanting one, but my family doesn't feel tempted to share the pay. I was even wanting to pay as well. (Or unless they are keeping secret and are actually getting one. Christmas is full of surprises...)

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on November 19, 2012, 09:57:49 PM
... Also (someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), but I also believe I read somewhere that for the time being Nintendo is selling the console itself at a small loss profit wise...

That is correct.  To make it more reasonably priced, they are actually taking a gamble and lowered the prices below the manufacture costs.  Quite frankly, it's one that I would take, given their past with the 3DS.  They're banking on developers releasing games/content to compensate for the profit loss.  They are promising more games, quicker than the 3DS, but it's still a gamble.  The console doesn't support the streaming services (Amazon cloud, Netflix, etc) yet, so they better pick up the slack real quick, or they are in trouble.