News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Wii-U is releasing on November 18th

Started by Scotty, September 13, 2012, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Scotty on November 20, 2012, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: Meiun on November 19, 2012, 09:57:49 PM
... Also (someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), but I also believe I read somewhere that for the time being Nintendo is selling the console itself at a small loss profit wise...

That is correct.  To make it more reasonably priced, they are actually taking a gamble and lowered the prices below the manufacture costs.  Quite frankly, it's one that I would take, given their past with the 3DS.  They're banking on developers releasing games/content to compensate for the profit loss.  They are promising more games, quicker than the 3DS, but it's still a gamble.  The console doesn't support the streaming services (Amazon cloud, Netflix, etc) yet, so they better pick up the slack real quick, or they are in trouble.

Yep, I honestly think it will work out for them very well. They have a number of great games in the running and launch window games such as Pikmin 3 and Monster Hunter should help sales, and it won't bee too long before the manufacturing cost is reduced for them and by that stage we'll start seeing games such as Zelda and Smash Bros. that will really pick up console sales.
The lack of streaming services for me, personally, isn't a huge deal, and as I am in Australia I doubt I'll even have the chance to use most of them. But I can definitely see why that would be an issue for some people, especially seeing how much Nintendo talked up TVii as a lunch thing and then had to back down.

Also it seems as though you are actually able to download the day one update in the background while you play other games, http://kotaku.com/5962224/you-might-be-able-to-download-the-wii-us-firmware-update-in-the-background?tag=wii-u

Meiun

I thought I read that the streaming services like hulu, netflix, etc. were out now. Could be wrong, but I know they were planned for very close to launch.

ARTgames

Quote from: Meiun on November 23, 2012, 03:38:33 PM
I thought I read that the streaming services like hulu, netflix, etc. were out now. Could be wrong, but I know they were planned for very close to launch.
From what I herd they really wanted to but did not make the dead line.

crozier

So has anyone bought one of these XD? Any good games to recommend?

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Meiun on November 23, 2012, 03:38:33 PM

They were originally planned for launch day but didn't make it. But I think Hulu has since been released and the Youtube App was released a couple of days ago I think.

Scotty

venuse

Matty_Richo

Well I just picked up my Wii U, I arrived just after the store opened and thankfully it was a school day so there weren't too many others around. I picked up the premium edition (with Nintendo Land) and also New Super Mario Bros. U.

Off to play some games now.

venuse

hehe just thought i would stir things up with that article haha. i already know that the numbers arent what make the hardware but the efficiency of the hardware to perform and there are many factors that effect that.

Meiun

Basing the speed and effectiveness of a processor solely on clock speed or number of cores simply does not work. It always surprises me that everyone continues to base so many comparisons off of those two factors. Clock speed is only one piece of the puzzle. Having a higher clock rate gives you more cycles per second, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can do as much per cycle as another processor. Similarly, you  typically get some serious diminishing returns as you increase the number of processors/cores, and whether more of them are beneficial at all depends almost entirely on the software (the majority of software out there today still tends to not benefit much from additional cores).

ARTgames

Meiun is right. Basing performance just on clock speed and cores is not enough. For an an analogy lets say how much stuff we can move from point a to point b is like the amount of data a cpu can process. Having a high clock speed is like having a fast vehicle and having more cores is like having more of them. But we still don't know how much a vehicle could hold. You could have a sports car that's really fast but would have to take many trips. Or a slow 18 wheeler that can do it in 1 trip. Also some cpus handle certain tasks better than other can. Or are more accepting of information given to it  in a certain way. Just like how some cars are better for off road and how some cars may be better for small spaces. In other words it matters what the cpu is good at and if it can be used for video games in this case.

But I have to admit that thats not normally the problem as how easy or how much like that cpu is like to other ones. If the code that a cpu runs is like the driver we put in the cars, its better if its easy to teach are drivers how to drive the car. Or even better if are drivers already know. It seemed like in the case of ps3 you had to do more work to teach the driver. Which may have lead to less performance on cross platform games on the ps3. 

The only problem with the analogy is that a cpu main job is not to move data but to manipulate it. But all that means is its a more complex job.

RayRay

So it turns out that I got a Wii U after all. It explains why we were hungry for a little bit. Ever since I opened it, I haven't let go of NintendoLand until this night and my eyes got bloodshot. lol Also finally, a 5-player mode.

crozier

Yes, the wii u is pretty grand. But one thing I noticed is the horrendous load times. But everything seems pretty good (the games are quite fun- can't wait untill Pikmin 3 and Monster Hunter 3 in Spring).
A funny thing my family encountered was when creating a mii, you can have the controller photograph you and make a mii based on facial structure, hair, etc. Well it turns out that our wii u hates us and views us as monsters, cause the miis it made were terrifyingly ugly XD

Zario777

Santa got me the Deluxe Wii U along with NSMBU and Scribblenauts Unlimited. I highly recommend NSMBU if you enjoy 2D platforming with the likes of Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.